Nibley -- Again

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I knew the man reasonably well for the last twenty years of his life, and less well for about fifteen years before that. I've had many conversations with him, sometimes about very intimate spiritual things. I know most of his family and even surprisingly many in his extended family. I've read everything he ever published, and at least a few things that he didn't. I've read the two biographical books about him, by his son-in-law Boyd Petersen and his son Alex.

So? The litany of who you know would no doubt fill a library... but so?

If Hugh Nibley believed that either Mormonism in general or the Book of Abraham was "indefensible," I'm a leprechaun, Paris Hilton is the greatest philosopher of our time, and you're truly authorized to be my judge.

That's not what I said, Daniel. I'm not interested in what Nibley believed. I've just discovered what he knew. And he knew the source of what became the Book of Abraham was an ordinary Book of Breathings. He perpetuated a lie. How disappointing.
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

harmony, Comtesse de la Tourette, wrote:So? The litany of who you know would no doubt fill a library... but so?

Oh. That's right. In your world, knowing people is irrelevant to judging them. You don't hesitate to pronounce judgment on people whom you don't know and of whom you know little or nothing, so, from your perspective, knowing them is of no value and saying that one knows them is merely showing off.

I forgot who it is that I'm dealing with.

harmony, Comtesse de la Tourette, wrote:I'm not interested in what Nibley believed. I've just discovered what he knew. And he knew the source of what became the Book of Abraham was an ordinary Book of Breathings. He perpetuated a lie. How disappointing.

Based on an internet report of a second hand account of a man of whom you know essentially nothing regarding an issue in which you say you've never had any interest, you declare without hesitation that he knowingly lied. And then, confident in your unfailing moral superiority, you smugly say "How disappointing."

"Jesus said 'Be meek and lowly,' for 'tis high to be a judge."
(Hymns, 273)

"Do not, then, in idle pleasure
Trifle with a brother's fame;
Guard it as a valued treasure,
Sacred as your own good name."
(Hymns, 235)
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Daniel Peterson wrote:
harmony, Comtesse de la Tourette, wrote:So? The litany of who you know would no doubt fill a library... but so?

Oh. That's right. In your world, knowing people is irrelevant to judging them. You don't hesitate to pronounce judgment on people whom you don't know and of whom you know little or nothing, so, from your perspective, knowing them is of no value and saying that one knows them is merely showing off.

I forgot who it is that I'm dealing with.

I never forget who I'm dealing with, Daniel. In your world, knowing people is irrelevant to judging them, too. You don't hesitate to pronounce judgment on people whom you don't know, etc. etc. It's difficult to take you seriously when you forget your own judgments of people you don't know. You don't know any of us here, or at least not many, and you judge all of us as lacking... in intelligence, in humanity, in wit, in everything. Yet you expect us, singling us out one by one, to cut you the slack you refuse to extend to us? I never forget who I'm dealing with.

harmony, Comtesse de la Tourette, wrote:I'm not interested in what Nibley believed. I've just discovered what he knew. And he knew the source of what became the Book of Abraham was an ordinary Book of Breathings. He perpetuated a lie. How disappointing.

Based on an internet report of a second hand account of a man of whom you know essentially nothing regarding an issue in which you say you've never had any interest, you declare without hesitation that he knowingly lied. And then, confident in your unfailing moral superiority, you smugly say "How disappointing."

"Jesus said 'Be meek and lowly,' for 'tis high to be a judge."
(Hymns, 273)

"Do not, then, in idle pleasure
Trifle with a brother's fame;
Guard it as a valued treasure,
Sacred as your own good name."
(Hymns, 235)
[/quote]

Nibley is dead. No doubt that is painful for you, since you knew him, but that doesn't change anything. That he perpetuated a lie is disappointing to me. Is it disappointing to you? Or is it par for the course in your world?
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

harmony, Comtesse de la Tourette, wrote:You don't know any of us here, or at least not many, and you judge all of us as lacking... in intelligence, in humanity, in wit, in everything.

No, not "everybody." You, perhaps. But not "everybody." Not by a long shot.

harmony, Comtesse de la Tourette, wrote:That he perpetuated a lie is disappointing to me. Is it disappointing to you? Or is it par for the course in your world?

No. In my world it's not true.