Joseph Smith's Book of Moses: The Other Smoking Gun

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

CaliforniaKid wrote:See also Hutchinson, Anthony A. "A Mormon Midrash? LDS Creation Narratives Reconsidered." Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 21, no. 4 (1988): 11-74.

I’m going to have to dig this bad boy up. Based on the title alone, methinks I’ll enjoy it (my Rabbi friend recently promised to give me his tattered set of The Midrash Rabbah [he’s getting a new set] -- you may now envy me).
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_evolving
_Emeritus

Post by _evolving »

Great read Tal.. I am waiting for the (Book of Moses - Book of Ether) parallels paper that Craig Criddle is working on. the textual similarities, pace, structure and word patterns are incredibly similar.

I have the opinion the two books were written as one book, Joseph and Crew took the Ether story and published it in the Book of Mormon and the Moses story was published in the Paper. then later worked into the cannon. the books together contain nearly every bibilical myth available and accepted by most 17th century christian. --
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Steuss,

I'd say it's one of the more significant articles ever published in Dialogue.

-CK
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Thanks for posting this. I'll get to it as soon as I can. I'm transcribing a cd about Joseph Smith and the last charge right now, I'll get to this as soon as possible.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

The most interesting LDS respondent for this write-up would be Kevin Barney. He's written a good deal about the JST, Joseph Smith's interpretation of the Bible, and Mormon scripture in the light of the Documentary Hypothesis.

To me, it seems clear that the Documentary Hypothesis spells trouble in paradise; but Kevin would probably offer the most reasonable and informed response of anyone among fully believing LDS.

Does Kevin ever post here?

Don
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Perhaps he could be tempted to do so. In the celestial forum, perhaps.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

That would be great! In the least, if someone knows where he has discussed this issue, and can point me to it, that would also be great.

I've never heard of this issue before.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Gazelam wrote:Thanks for posting this. I'll get to it as soon as I can. I'm transcribing a cd about Joseph Smith and the last charge right now, I'll get to this as soon as possible.

Bumped for Gaz. Let's hear it man.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Hopefully I can get to it sunday. It took forever to do the Last charge thing I put in the CR. Thanks for your patience.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Tal Bachman
_Emeritus

Post by _Tal Bachman »

I've never actually read "Mormon Midrash", but I keep hearing about it. How can we get hold of it?