Let's play Mormon Mythbusters! Episode 1: Castrations

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I recently posted part of my mythbusters parody on my blog. I thought it sucked big time....but I'll let you guys judge it on it's own sucky merits.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

moksha wrote:
April 1858 Henry Jones and his mother were shot to death for committing incest by the bishop of Payson, his brother (the Sheriff of Payson) and several ward members. Jones was also castrated. The infant, his daughter/sister was also killed.

Good thing we live in such times that secular justice can save us from such unholy barbarity.

I find it surprising that the child was killed.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:
moksha wrote:
April 1858 Henry Jones and his mother were shot to death for committing incest by the bishop of Payson, his brother (the Sheriff of Payson) and several ward members. Jones was also castrated. The infant, his daughter/sister was also killed.

Good thing we live in such times that secular justice can save us from such unholy barbarity.

I find it surprising that the child was killed.

As do I. Even MMM had children spared.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Blixa wrote:I find it surprising that the child was killed.

As do I. Even MMM had children spared.

Well, some children.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

It's not surprising to me that the child was killed. It's obvious from the MMM that some men had little regard for human life, even the lives of children. Besides, the killing of children for the sins of their parents has Old Testament precedent. David and Bathsheba's baby was killed by God for it's parent's transgression.

KA
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

KimberlyAnn wrote:It's not surprising to me that the child was killed. It's obvious from the MMM that some men had little regard for human life, even the lives of children. Besides, the killing of children for the sins of their parents has Old Testament precedent. David and Bathsheba's baby was killed by God for it's parent's transgression.

KA

Is it not also related to Korihor's heresy?
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:If you can give me an idea of the dimensions of the plates and how many their were I could give you an approxmation of the mass Joseph Smith would be trying to run with.

Wikipedia says They were 6
inches wide by 8 inches long and 6 inches thick. But there is alot of speculation as to how Golden they were or if they were an alloy or whatever else anyone can imagine.

Bond,

Having skimmed the rest of this thread on castration, my eye lighted with some surprise on "8 inches long and 6 inches thick," and "how Golden they were or if they were an alloy" only added to my confusion.

Doc Steuss,

I accept your gracious offer of honorary Steussitehood.

And, KA, is it just my imagination or has the subject raised by Bond come up before?

The early Utah period, when castrations apparently occurred, is not my area of specialization. I'd heard of BY's teachings on many becoming "eunuchs," but didn't know the full context. This harsh punishment and the apparent associated theology could be seen as extensions of the doctrine of blood atonement.

Also, while this is merely rumor to me, I've heard the claim that the final "penalty" of the early endowment ceremony was relevant to the thread topic, and could explain these harsh punishments occasionally administered in early Utah. I have a couple friends who claim to have evidence for this, but have never looked into it in detail myself.

Also of possible peripheral interest is the alleged near-castration of Joseph Smith by one of Nancy Marinda Johnson's brothers. And, of course, Smith's doctrine that all those not achieving exaltation would be eternally celibate might have contributed an additional rationale for castration as a punishment.

Don
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

DonBradley wrote:Bond,

Having skimmed the rest of this thread on castration, my eye lighted with some surprise on "8 inches long and 6 inches thick," and "how Golden they were or if they were an alloy" only added to my confusion.

Don,

What exactly are you asking or trying to clarify?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
DonBradley wrote:Bond,

Don,

What exactly are you asking or trying to clarify?

Oh, Bond, are you kidding by asking or are you really not as dirty minded as Don and me? I'm kind of embarrassed to say I know exactly what Don's talking about but I would be even more embarrassed to spell it out for you, lol!

KA
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Oh sorry.....didn't get the joke.

I guess my wit will never measure up in your eyes again.