Let's play Mormon Mythbusters! Episode 1: Castrations

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

DonBradley wrote:And, KA, is it just my imagination or has the subject raised by Bond come up before?

Yes, it's come up before, it's up again now, and no doubt it will be raised again later. I can sometimes have that effect on men.

The early Utah period, when castrations apparently occurred, is not my area of specialization. I'd heard of BY's teachings on many becoming "eunuchs," but didn't know the full context. This harsh punishment and the apparent associated theology could be seen as extensions of the doctrine of blood atonement.

Also, while this is merely rumor to me, I've heard the claim that the final "penalty" of the early endowment ceremony was relevant to the thread topic, and could explain these harsh punishments occasionally administered in early Utah. I have a couple friends who claim to have evidence for this, but have never looked into it in detail myself.

Also of possible peripheral interest is the alleged near-castration of Joseph Smith by one of Nancy Marinda Johnson's brothers. And, of course, Smith's doctrine that all those not achieving exaltation would be eternally celibate might have contributed an additional rationale for castration as a punishment.

Don

Hmmm...I haven't heard of the alleged near castration of Smith until now, unless I've read it and forgotten it, which is entirely possible. I'll have to check it out.

Thank you, Don (Juan) Bradley.

KA
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Oh sorry.....didn't get the joke.

I guess my wit will never measure up in your eyes again.

HA! Don't worry, you just redeemed yourself, Bond!

And I love the avatar!

KA
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

And I love the avatar!

Me too! My fave Bond is back!

;)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Okay Bond, 8 inches long by 6 inches thick, as in The Man with the Golden ....*

*book of plates