The Cherokee are....Jewish...? Don't "jew" wish..

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Loquacious Lurker
_Emeritus

The Cherokee are....Jewish...? Don't "jew" wish..

Post by _Loquacious Lurker »

Simon Southerton has written a nice little post over on RfM regarding this momentous claim. Enjoy.

http://www.exmormon.org/boards/w-agora/ ... 1184503540
_Tal Bachman
_Emeritus

Post by _Tal Bachman »

Funny!
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Even if the Cherokee are one of the lost tribes of Lehi (and their ancestors really rode tapirs), it still defies reason that Smith was anything more
than a poser - his record speaks for itself.

The Book of Mormon on many levels is a book that would persuade us to live peaceably and bring about much balance
in society.

If the chief will live it's teachings I have little fear of him going on any nutty warpath.
_Levi
_Emeritus

Post by _Levi »

Mr. Southerton acts like he has never heard of the Madoc myth (Welsh lost tribe, which really drove the Lewis & Clark expedition) nor Cyrus Gordon's book Before Columbus the latter of which documents the finding of a Hebrew inscription by the Smithsonian in a Cherokee mound and the finding of Hebrew coins in burial mounds by amateur archeaologists. The pro-Hebrew American theory, although declining, is well-known.

Levi Rausch
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

For a rebuttal to the bit about old-world coins, see

Epstein, Jeremiah F. "Pre-Columbian Old World Coins in America: An Examination of the Evidence." Current Anthropology 21, no. 1 (1980): 1-20.

Part of the problem is that the Hebrew-Indian theory was even more well-known in Joseph Smith's day than it is at present, which is presumably why he adopted it for his Book of Mormon narrative.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I may be wrong, but despite being a credible academic, Cyrus Gordon seems to be among those snookered by the Bat Creek hoax (I think this is what Levi is refering to as a "Smithsonian Cherokee find").
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Levi
_Emeritus

Post by _Levi »

Blixa wrote:I may be wrong, but despite being a credible academic, Cyrus Gordon seems to be among those snookered by the Bat Creek hoax (I think this is what Levi is refering to as a "Smithsonian Cherokee find").

Gordon differentiates between discoveries made under the rigor of proper scientific study and those which are not. The Hebrew-Cherokee discovery that I point out was made by the Smithsonian with proper scientific rigor. Gordon points out that the Bat Creek stone was not; nor were the many finds of Roman and Hebrew coins.

But, the purpose for my post was to point out that Southerton seems remarkable ignorant of the history of the various claims and theories of Hebrew influence in America. I do not post to defend those theories, but to point out Southerton's apparent lack of background in the area.

Anybody who has read a scholarly study of the Lewis & Clark expedition would know these theories.

Levi
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Wow, I guess old Spence was right about skin turning white of the lamenite children!

I gotta run to the garment store before it closes! Its TWWOOOOO!! Its TWWOOOOOOO!!!!!
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Polygamy Porter wrote:Wow, I guess old Spence was right about skin turning white of the lamenite children!

(image redacted)

I gotta run to the garment store before it closes! Its TWWOOOOO!! Its TWWOOOOOOO!!!!!

Nicely done, PP!

*sigh* if only you and Gaz could get over your differences and coordinate your image postings, oh what delightful and joyous laughter would be raised to the heavens!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

My mom said Porter can't come in the house till he puts a shirt on, and he said he wont do it.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato