"voting" in church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

"voting" in church

Post by _Mercury »

OK, the LDS church votes in via public raise of hand. They do this for all callings. Sustaining and such, for the Mormon elite is done during general conference and both local and general authorities it is, for all intents and purposes a formality. Those who are under the impression there is choice in who asks us if we touch ourselves, ask if we give the church their cut and more so those who decide how to invest the billions pulled in annually are given a free pass. How many Paul H Dunn's, John D Lee's, child rapists, confidence men and other financial predators have been given a pass by their own congregation?

Background Checks: Isn't it about time?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

I don't believe it means much.

I would be somewhat interested when common consent became a doctrinal tenant of the church.

Before 1852 or after 1852?

(You may recall this was when plural marriage was "revealed" to the general membership of the church and ratified by common consent - although "practiced" in darkness from the 1830's.)
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: "voting" in church

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:OK, the LDS church votes in via public raise of hand. They do this for all callings. Sustaining and such, for the Mormon elite is done during general conference and both local and general authorities it is, for all intents and purposes a formality. Those who are under the impression there is choice in who asks us if we touch ourselves, ask if we give the church their cut and more so those who decide how to invest the billions pulled in annually are given a free pass. How many Paul H Dunn's, John D Lee's, child rapists, confidence men and other financial predators have been given a pass by their own congregation?

If it makes you feel better I have never met an LDS leader who has mentioned sex or masturbation more than a tenth as much as I've heard you mention it.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

The Nehor wrote:
If it makes you feel better I have never met an LDS leader who has mentioned sex or masturbation more than a tenth as much as I've heard you mention it.

_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The Nehor wrote:
Mercury wrote:OK, the LDS church votes in via public raise of hand. They do this for all callings. Sustaining and such, for the Mormon elite is done during general conference and both local and general authorities it is, for all intents and purposes a formality. Those who are under the impression there is choice in who asks us if we touch ourselves, ask if we give the church their cut and more so those who decide how to invest the billions pulled in annually are given a free pass. How many Paul H Dunn's, John D Lee's, child rapists, confidence men and other financial predators have been given a pass by their own congregation?

"self abuse" is a way of taking a benign activity that most every male engages in and making it something one can use to shame another. It hurts no one, relieves sexual tension and is practiced by (as far as I know) every primate in existence.

Its one of those things that got me peeved because I was told that I was hurting myself when in reality its a natural action. I know you probably disagree but then again you probably think a nocturnal emission is sign of sin.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:
"self abuse" is a way of taking a benign activity that most every male engages in and making it something one can use to shame another. It hurts no one, relieves sexual tension and is practiced by (as far as I know) every primate in existence.

Its one of those things that got me peeved because I was told that I was hurting myself when in reality its a natural action. I know you probably disagree but then again you probably think a nocturnal emission is sign of sin.

In answer, no I do not.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo