Sunday School Lesson Chart

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Sunday School Lesson Chart

Post by _Gadianton »

For all the Mormons out there, here's a resource I developed during my scripture study time today. It might help for a Sunday School class or something. This is the kind of meat members love, it helps us make sense of the good and bad things that happen in our lives.

Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not because this is the exact type of thing you see on chalk boards in ward buildings throughout the corridor. It only becomes funny once you leave the church.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Can't use it in that form myself. I would change it a bit.

Top Left: Enjoy the breather unless you've been made perfect and prepare for next challenge

Top Right: God might have given up on you and is leaving you alone or your life is not as good as you tell yourself it is. If the former, prepare to repent in next life.

Bottom Left: Get ready for real comfort and revelation. You're getting closer to perfect. Eye on the prize.

Bottom Right: God hasn't given up on you yet or he has and either the Devil or the World is not being as nice as they promised. Enjoy.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

That's pretty funny, Gad! It's about time somebody boiled the pat excuses down into a portable, hand-held pamphlet.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Its good, but my favorite is that 50's era "Game of Life" style flow chart that takes you from the pre-existence right up the three tiers of the Celestial Kingdom. I used to have it somewhere on my hard drive, but can't locate it now of course.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

Blixa wrote:Its good, but my favorite is that 50's era "Game of Life" style flow chart that takes you from the pre-existence right up the three tiers of the Celestial Kingdom. I used to have it somewhere on my hard drive, but can't locate it now of course.

Is this what you're thinking of, Blixa? It's good, but it's too busy. I like Gadianton's simple and easy to understand chart better.

[Link to very large image here.]
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Ah, yes. Good to see it again. It's so Snakes and Ladders.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Sure is upbeat.......kinda makes me look forward to that 1000 year detour through hell.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Re: Sunday School Lesson Chart

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Gadianton wrote:For all the Mormons out there, here's a resource I developed during my scripture study time today. It might help for a Sunday School class or something. This is the kind of meat members love, it helps us make sense of the good and bad things that happen in our lives.

The problem I have with this, and this has always been my problem with a god that "tests" his children. Is why would he test children that he knew couldn't handle his test? And when I say children, I mean CHILDREN. Young children. Why would he do this? Is it absolutely possible that it is not a test but life just sucks because God is not there and life just sucks? I like to believe if God was a part of my life as a young child he would have never tested me. Or any of the children of Darfur or anywhere else where they call out his name and there is the awful echo of silence.

I see people bless God for having enough money to pay their rent or return their kitten. But yet, he'll test a child to endure rape? No. I don't buy it. Either God is not here or he hates some of us.

I came to the conclusion early on that he just hated me. :)
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Sure is upbeat.......kinda makes me look forward to that 1000 year detour through hell.

Yeah, but the problem with it is that there's no indication of what separates one out into the 3 different celestial tiers (nor no discription of their differences, either). There should be road signage there, at least.