Sunday School Lesson Chart

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

LOL
Excellent. Very concise. Isn't that one of the main take away lessons of the Book of Mormon distilled down?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: Sunday School Lesson Chart

Post by _The Nehor »

barrelomonkeys wrote:The problem I have with this, and this has always been my problem with a god that "tests" his children. Is why would he test children that he knew couldn't handle his test? And when I say children, I mean CHILDREN. Young children. Why would he do this? Is it absolutely possible that it is not a test but life just sucks because God is not there and life just sucks? I like to believe if God was a part of my life as a young child he would have never tested me. Or any of the children of Darfur or anywhere else where they call out his name and there is the awful echo of silence.

I see people bless God for having enough money to pay their rent or return their kitten. But yet, he'll test a child to endure rape? No. I don't buy it. Either God is not here or he hates some of us.

I came to the conclusion early on that he just hated me. :)

The whole self-discovery thing. He shows his children who do pass what they're capable of. He shows those who fail how they failed and in some cases like those above he shows people that with a little power they turn into monsters.

Healing someone of injuries they've suffered is not difficult for Christ. In any case when it is all over mortality will be a short nightmare and then we wake up. Then for some the real nightmare begins when they realize that with almost no power they turned into villains and they will not become gods....thankfully.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

The roadsign to the Telestial Kingdom is pretty funny in that chart. You can kind of see lying and adultary, but what kind of problems has the church had with sorcerers over the years?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

There's also a big fence missing from the pre-existence.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Gad...

Very nice!

I have another chart that I think would be helpful.

You pray
You do not pray
You get what you want
You do not get what you want

If you pray and get what you want, God is blessing you
If you pray and do not get what you want, God is testing your faith, God has something better for you anyway
If you don't' pray and don't get what you want, you are not getting what you want because you didn't pray.
If you don't pray and do get what you want, you are just lucky

Simple! ;-)

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Gadianton wrote:The roadsign to the Telestial Kingdom is pretty funny in that chart. You can kind of see lying and adultary, but what kind of problems has the church had with sorcerers over the years?

Last I read the word translated as sorcery in the Bible and possibly the Book of Mormon can also mean those who use drugs to contact the dead or to achieve greater enlightenment.....like Larry my old neighbor.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Re: Sunday School Lesson Chart

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

The Nehor wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:The problem I have with this, and this has always been my problem with a god that "tests" his children. Is why would he test children that he knew couldn't handle his test? And when I say children, I mean CHILDREN. Young children. Why would he do this? Is it absolutely possible that it is not a test but life just sucks because God is not there and life just sucks? I like to believe if God was a part of my life as a young child he would have never tested me. Or any of the children of Darfur or anywhere else where they call out his name and there is the awful echo of silence.

I see people bless God for having enough money to pay their rent or return their kitten. But yet, he'll test a child to endure rape? No. I don't buy it. Either God is not here or he hates some of us.

I came to the conclusion early on that he just hated me. :)

The whole self-discovery thing. He shows his children who do pass what they're capable of. He shows those who fail how they failed and in some cases like those above he shows people that with a little power they turn into monsters.

Healing someone of injuries they've suffered is not difficult for Christ. In any case when it is all over mortality will be a short nightmare and then we wake up. Then for some the real nightmare begins when they realize that with almost no power they turned into villains and they will not become gods....thankfully.

Mormunlogic. It was already bad enough and you just keep making it worse.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

The Nehor wrote:
Gadianton wrote:The roadsign to the Telestial Kingdom is pretty funny in that chart. You can kind of see lying and adultary, but what kind of problems has the church had with sorcerers over the years?

Last I read the word translated as sorcery in the Bible and possibly the Book of Mormon can also mean those who use drugs to contact the dead or to achieve greater enlightenment.....like Larry my old neighbor.

Sorcerers = Rodsmen and peepstoners.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:
The Nehor wrote:

Sorcerers = Rodsmen and peepstoners.

"Rodsmen and the Peepstoners" = Fantastic name for a psychedelic 70's band.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

The Nehor wrote:...those who use drugs to contact the dead...

???