Sunday School Lesson Chart

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Re: Sunday School Lesson Chart

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

The Nehor wrote:
The whole self-discovery thing. He shows his children who do pass what they're capable of. He shows those who fail how they failed and in some cases like those above he shows people that with a little power they turn into monsters.

Healing someone of injuries they've suffered is not difficult for Christ. In any case when it is all over mortality will be a short nightmare and then we wake up. Then for some the real nightmare begins when they realize that with almost no power they turned into villains and they will not become gods....thankfully.

I've heard this before... and to be honest with you it rings hollow for me. How can a child possibly not fail a test in which the tester knows they aren't prepared for the material? For instance, to bring it down to reality, I work with special education students. If the student is reading at a 5th grade level I don't give them a 11th grade reading test. I would set them up for failure. I see God doing this to his children. Why? They can't possibly pass if they haven't the skills to do so... so why would God ask some of his children to pass a test when He knows they can't possibly pass the test? And He would know which could or couldn't pass the test. Right? So why the bother?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

silentkid wrote:
The Nehor wrote:...those who use drugs to contact the dead...

???

Yeah, The Nehor has some 'splainin' to do...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

The Nehor wrote:
Gadianton wrote:The roadsign to the Telestial Kingdom is pretty funny in that chart. You can kind of see lying and adultary, but what kind of problems has the church had with sorcerers over the years?

Last I read the word translated as sorcery in the Bible and possibly the Book of Mormon can also mean those who use drugs to contact the dead or to achieve greater enlightenment.....like Larry my old neighbor.

Well you know Nehor, I have to agree with the Lord on this one. If I needed to come up with a list of five things that would without a doubt put a person through a thousand years of hell, sorcery would be on that list. Larry's infraction on God's holy law are near unforgivable. He probably made it worse for himself by listening to Pink Floyd.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

I'm going to try to commune with my dead relatives tonight. I'll be taking a Xanax and two Aleve. I don't own a Ouija board, but I shouldn't need one. I'll sit on my couch, though not in any sort of meditative position. I may eat some chips. I'll mute the TV, put on my Anthem Of The Sun CD, and watch for instances when the happenings on the screen seem to match the music. I may eat a cookie.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

barrelomonkeys wrote:I've heard this before... and to be honest with you it rings hollow for me. How can a child possibly not fail a test in which the tester knows they aren't prepared for the material? For instance, to bring it down to reality, I work with special education students. If the student is reading at a 5th grade level I don't give them a 11th grade reading test. I would set them up for failure. I see God doing this to his children. Why? They can't possibly pass if they haven't the skills to do so... so why would God ask some of his children to pass a test when He knows they can't possibly pass the test? And He would know which could or couldn't pass the test. Right? So why the bother?

We are prepared for the material and yes, he knows who will pass and fail. However we don't. The experience is vital and the test is vital to achieve what we must achieve.

There also comes a point where you give up on a student and say they'll never learn what you're trying to teach. In this case though it is entirely the student's choice to fail. We're not being tested for intelligence or living up entirely to our potential. Thank God or we'd all fail miserably.

It comes down to an alternate scenario for the Premortal Counsel:

God: "The following would have succeeded. The rest of you are all going to hell until you're cleansed and then you'll get kingdom assignments. Oh, and you will never again come into my presence. You should be ashamed of what you would have done. Oh, and all of you who would have succeeded, I now need to test you anyways so that you change in the ways you should have changed. Oh, and I really can't throw you all into hell as hell is a place for repenting of what you did.........well blast. I changed my mind, contact Slaarti Bardfast and get those fjords in Norway finished. We'll need the Earth after all."
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Blixa wrote:
silentkid wrote:
The Nehor wrote:...those who use drugs to contact the dead...

???

Yeah, The Nehor has some 'splainin' to do...

It has been done in many cultures. I have a borderline-unhealthy fascination with the occult.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Gadianton wrote:Well you know Nehor, I have to agree with the Lord on this one. If I needed to come up with a list of five things that would without a doubt put a person through a thousand years of hell, sorcery would be on that list. Larry's infraction on God's holy law are near unforgivable. He probably made it worse for himself by listening to Pink Floyd.

Larry is an okay guy. A little crazy though. Not sure if he will be judged with or without law.

He is always broke. He tears ad posters and stuff off bulletin boards and lampposts and the like and writes lots of poetry in an artificial language (Esperanto?). Then he hands them out to people. He is also working on a translation of Dickens. When people point out to him that the people he passes them out to can't read them as they don't know the language his response is, "They should F***ing learn."

I used Larry as a joke. True Sorcerors are almost extinct in the Western World.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

silentkid wrote:I'm going to try to commune with my dead relatives tonight. I'll be taking a Xanax and two Aleve. I don't own a Ouija board, but I shouldn't need one. I'll sit on my couch, though not in any sort of meditative position. I may eat some chips. I'll mute the TV, put on my Anthem Of The Sun CD, and watch for instances when the happenings on the screen seem to match the music. I may eat a cookie.

Just check the cookie for peyote first.

Also you should know you're not alone, some songs have already been covered.

"we like to watch movies while listening to hotel California to see if it syncs up in a significant way, and so far, no, nothing has."
-Mort Goldman (Family Guy)

Having messed with the occult (specifically Satanism) in the past that it sucks. What sucks the most is when it starts working.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

The Nehor wrote:Having messed with the occult (specifically Satanism) in the past that it sucks. What sucks the most is when it starts working.

Whoa Nelly! Spill, Nehor, spill! Start another thread if you have to! I'd love to hear about poster's success with the occult.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

The Nehor wrote:
We are prepared for the material and yes, he knows who will pass and fail. However we don't. The experience is vital and the test is vital to achieve what we must achieve.

You think children are prepared for the material of genocide and rape? If He knows who will pass and fail what is the point? The experience of passing or failing is vital? How so?

There also comes a point where you give up on a student and say they'll never learn what you're trying to teach. In this case though it is entirely the student's choice to fail. We're not being tested for intelligence or living up entirely to our potential. Thank God or we'd all fail miserably.

Actually, I don't ever give up on a student. If a student fails it is entirely my fault, the way I see it. And I'll tell you what, I don't EVER give up on my students. Are you saying God gives up on his children? I'm not really following you here.

It comes down to an alternate scenario for the Premortal Counsel:

God: "The following would have succeeded. The rest of you are all going to hell until you're cleansed and then you'll get kingdom assignments. Oh, and you will never again come into my presence. You should be ashamed of what you would have done. Oh, and all of you who would have succeeded, I now need to test you anyways so that you change in the ways you should have changed. Oh, and I really can't throw you all into hell as hell is a place for repenting of what you did.........well blast. I changed my mind, contact Slaarti Bardfast and get those fjords in Norway finished. We'll need the Earth after all."

I'm not being flippant with my questions. I really want an answer! An answer that makes sense to me. I don't believe God would have answers that go against reason and logic. Why does God test children that he knows will fail?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.