How did dating work for polygamist?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
The Nehor wrote:I have only anecdotes. The one I am most familiar with is my great-great grandfather and great-great grandmother. In her journal she records him coming home from a meeting with the Brethren looking distressed. She inquired what was wrong and he said that if he and his wife agreed he was to take another wife. She records him saying that he wanted no other woman but her and that if he was to marry again it would be with her consent. After discussing at length it was decided that she would begin the search for someone else. She favored her sister and he agreed and they were married.
So then, based on the laws of the land, since this marriage was not a legally recognized union, your great-great grandfather and your great-great grandmother's sister were by definition "adulterers" ?

Any children that were the result of these two unwed people were defined as illegitimate or known by definition, as bastards.

Not according to the general pardon issued by the government after the Manifesto just prior to Utah becoming a State.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Yoda

Re: Harmony

Post by _Yoda »

KimberlyAnn wrote:
Gazelam wrote:
Things shrivel and droop as people age.

You would know.

Gazelam, why are you being such as asshole to Harmony?

KA

That, my friends is the million dollar question.

Why are you being a jerk to Harmony, Gaz?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

liz3564 wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:
Gazelam wrote:
Things shrivel and droop as people age.

You would know.

Gazelam, why are you being such as asshole to Harmony?

KA

That, my friends is the million dollar question.

Why are you being a jerk to Harmony, Gaz?

And now it's a trio of voices. How about it, Gaz?

Jersey

(Does it strike anyone else as odd that people around here insult those they perceive as being on the "other side" by making personal remarks about folks they can't see? )
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
SatanWasSetUp wrote:It only seems weird because of "presentism."

So why were the early Saints persecuted?

Pastism
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

moksha wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:
SatanWasSetUp wrote:It only seems weird because of "presentism."

So why were the early Saints persecuted?

Pastism

O.M.G.

Best Post Ever!

This deserves to be engraved on golden plates and buried for a couple of thousand years in upstate New York.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Jersey Girl wrote:(Does it strike anyone else as odd that people around here insult those they perceive as being on the "other side" by making personal remarks about folks they can't see? )

Yes, it does.
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

Excellent comment Moksha. LOL

Gaz totally uncalled for.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:(Does it strike anyone else as odd that people around here insult those they perceive as being on the "other side" by making personal remarks about folks they can't see? )

Yes, it does.

Oh good, I thought it was just me. harmony makes a generalized remark about aging. Gaz says "you would know"....now where exactly does that come from?

Ageism?
Disdain for harmony?
Denial?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Jersey Girl wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:

Yes, it does.

Oh good, I thought it was just me. harmony makes a generalized remark about aging. Gaz says "you would know"....now where exactly does that come from?

Ageism?
Disdain for harmony?
Denial?

I believe it is disdain for harmony.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

..or pastism.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."