How did dating work for polygamist?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Blixa wrote:..or pastism.

LOL!
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Blixa wrote:..or pastism.

Yeah, well when his presentism becomes his pastism, he'll be singing another tune, me thinks.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Oh, gaz is just trying to continue an old Z tradition, held by several very vocal believers. Once harmony trapped them in misbehavior (by pretending to be a chapel Mormon, who ended up being berated by internet Mormons), it seems quite a few felt justified in randomly insulting her.

I'm kind of surprised to see gaz do it, since it occurred before his time there, so perhaps he doesn't even realize the tradition he is upholding.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Harmony

Post by _Gazelam »

Harmony has gotten under my skin lately with her comments regarding various issues on various threads. She is someone with a history of being active in the church and who now stands against it and actively opposes the living prophet and the doctrines of the church.

I lashed out. I apologize.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Harmony

Post by _harmony »

Gazelam wrote:Harmony has gotten under my skin lately with her comments regarding various issues on various threads.

Why? What difference does it make to you?

She is someone with a history of being active in the church and who now stands against it and actively opposes the living prophet and the doctrines of the church.

My bishop and SP would be very surprised to hear this, since I am still active in my ward, and hold multiple callings. Exactly how do I stand against the church, an organization I love as I love few other things, an organization my family and I serve without complaint or compensation. And how do I oppose Pres Hinckley? Because I think our leaders' focus is skewed? I've been a member for 35+ years, but I can't find anything anywhere that says I can't comment on our leaders' financial policies. Could you point me in that direction? Oppose the doctrines? Indeed, I oppose all doctrines that are manmade, and support all that are Godly. That I make a distinction should give you some insight into said doctrines' provence.

I lashed out. I apologize.

Gaz

Apology accepted, but I still want to know why.

I readily admit that I am old. I achieve full Senior Citizen status in a couple of weeks. I don't sweeten my words with flattery or condescendingly patronize you. I tell you what I think, without fear of reprisal or church discipline. I give you the gift of my life's experiences, which you may use or discard as you see fit. If I knew you in person, I'd do the same thing. I have no need to express my opinions tactfully, since the church does not pay my mortgage or put food on my table. I say what I think, regardless of the stature of the target of my comments. That is one of the perogatives of age.

I think you are a fine example of a member of the church, Gaz. You are a good apologist for the Kingdom, much moreso than those who are paid to do it. It's not your bread and butter, but you defend it staunchly in a way that exhibits the Christlike qualities you seek to emulate much more so than those who know better, but still wallow in the muck. You live your religion and I commend you for that. There are many others, more learned, more credentialed, no doubt paid more, that could learn the basics of the gospel of Jesus Christ from you, were they earnestly seeking after it. They aren't. You are. Good for you.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Harmony

Post by _Gazelam »

Age is a badge of honor, and I respect the views of my elders because I do know that the oyunger a person is the fewer experiences they have had to look back upon in order to forge an opinion. I have a great deal of respect for both you and Roger, although I fail to see how the two of you who have spent 30 plus years in the church could have somehow gotten sidetracked in your views.

And before I get to far along, I thank you for what you said about me and I think your overly kind in what you have said. I talk a good game but have a long way to go in the day to day living department. I bombard myself with talk tapes and books in an effort to overcome my past perusals into nonsense. What was Elder Hollands phrae? "Beware of scars you receive from places you should not have been?" Too often my mind is quick to go for the joke or ther worldy view that I infused into my brain from too many years of rock radio and other garbage. Joining the Sheetmetal Union has been a blessing in that I don't bring a boombox along to rot my brain all day while I'm working. I have alot of wasted time to make up for.

Let me ask you this. Does or does not Christ run this church? Who is at the head, Christ or Hinkley and the Twelve? With that in mind, why are you so choosey in the doctrines you accept and decline?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Well, in the old days the older male would start by giving them candy and maybe a dollie.

Honestly I don't know. Look at it as if child predators got the consent of the parents.

Does anyone else find justification of child rape put out there by apologists see it as borderline molestation apologetics?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Mercury wrote:Well, in the old days the older male would start by giving them candy and maybe a dollie.

Honestly I don't know. Look at it as if child predators got the consent of the parents.

Does anyone else find justification of child rape put out there by apologists see it as borderline molestation apologetics?

WHAT?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Mercury wrote:Well, in the old days the older male would start by giving them candy and maybe a dollie.

WHAT?

Apologists: 14 year olds are adults

mercury: WHAT?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning