Meeting Dan Peterson.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Oh how often we get it wrong.

Post by _aussieguy55 »

I think in life you have an encounter with someone and come away with an impression (often inaccurate) and react and treat them as if they are some idiot. Yet sometimes along the way things force you to change your mind about them. I had only read words online etc by DCP, once I heard him giving some lectures on Islam at Griffith University and that gave me a different impression of him(positive). I still think the claims of the LDS church as God's church for me are not true. However I'd like to be like J I Packer (Calvinist) who associates with Father Neuhaus, both from churches with some strong differences and yet they associate together in Evangelicals and Catholics Together. I am doing lunch at the Institute today, opposite to where I work. I met some missionaries yesterday, explained to them why I left with hitting them over the head with facts. They invited me to midday lunch today opposite my worplace. I know it won't be as bland as the free meals the Krisna's give (i am not vegetarian lol).
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I don't have anything against Dannyboy himself.

It's his online persona I'm dealing with, addressing, criticizing, etc etc.

I'm sure we're all perfect saints "in real life."
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Nightingale wrote:Class barriers?
I am not understanding this.
Do you or did you consider yourself in a lower "class" than DCP?

I think the belief in a rigid class system is an English thing and Australia is more tied to England than we are. While Dr. Peterson would no doubt have received a dinner invite from Lady Astor, he is probably not into a rigid class structure. The only indulgence he permits himself is allowing Urroner to follow him around with a bucket.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Here in Brazil the class system is firmly in place.

I hate it.

It is almost like an aristocracy again.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Nightingale wrote:Class barriers?

I am not understanding this.

Do you or did you consider yourself in a lower "class" than DCP?

I am very sorry to hear it.

Nightingale, class divisions do exist in "egalitarian Australia". My sister and brother both live in "leafy suburbs" and the last time they visited our family was around 1995. Then we had a house in a fairly middle class surburb. When I divorced in 2000 I lived in flats, and even when my brother came to the area once he did not visit, though we do have frequent email communication. They are both "titled", my sister is a prominent sportsperson in veteran athletics, and holds an advanced degree in physical education, a Masters I believe, and my brother lives in Sydney's richest suburb, Darling Point, where Nicole Kidman also lives. He's a prominent entrepreneur and writer/publisher, and is on a first name basis with Prime Minister John Howard, and also was a very close friend of Australia's richest man, Kerry Packer, when Packer was alive. He even has an entry in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Agostini

I'm a former truck driver turned cab driver. I have no degrees, and all of my life I've been a blue collar worker, and yes, unfortunately these things do count for status in Oz. Many deny it, because it's contrary to the widely held view that Oz is "egalitarian". So from my perspective, and my personal experiences with my family, and some upper class "friends", I thought what Dan did was extraordinary, though he would not have thought that. And no, I do not consider myself "lower", but the contrast in the behaviour/attitudes between Dan and my "friends" and relatives was striking. Mind you, too, the Church has done nothing to initiate contact with me since about 2000, except for accidental missionary visits when they were tracting, and even when I visited on occasion (the last time being 2004, I think) they did not ask where I was living, nor express any real interest, such as asking if I wanted home teachers. (Why anyway, since I'm not even a member). However, you must not misread this. I didn't ask either, so I'm not blaming, nor did I particulaly want visits, but I thought they would at least be more forward, but they may have been respecting my privacy. The other striking thing was that though this was the situation, I wonder how many members in the area familiar with Dan's writings (and I know some were) would have reacted to know that Dan had visited the area to pay me a visit. Weird, an inactive exmo. They would have been scratching their heads. The wonders of the Internet. There's hope for all of us.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Ray A wrote:The wonders of the Internet. There's hope for all of us.

:D
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I was hoping Ray would come back to my Anne Perry question...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Ray A

Re: Meeting Dan Peterson.

Post by _Ray A »

Blixa wrote:Thanks for being so candid. Was this of particular importance to you because you're from that part of the globe?

No. It had nothing to do with geographical location. It had a lot to do with scoring points against "apologists". Perry changed her life, and the reason she's not willing to talk about this is because she's probably deeply ashamed of it. Which juvenile might not have done this? I can only say, "but for the grace of God, there goes me". Many young people think and have immature thoughts, some violent, Perry was one of the few that acted it out.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Thanks for the response. I wondered since her story is not that widely known in the U.S. and I thought it might be more so down under.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Blixa wrote:Thanks for the response. I wondered since her story is not that widely known in the U.S. and I thought it might be more so down under.

Perry's story is known to very few people. She only lived in NZ for a short time. In fact, most people would probably not know that Perry is a Mormon, much less about her past.