Why are children sealed to their parents?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

"Families can be together forever.
through Heavenly Father's plan..." This is one of the most popular songs I heard growing up and one that really instilled fears and also motivation in me to choose the right. The most horrible thought for a child is the threat of losing ones family. Talk about damaging a child's security!

In conference talks you will sometimes hear the leaders talk about "wayward children" who have a kind of second chance if you will, at remaining in their eternal family because of the sealing. I have heard many a parent talk about this safety they feel once they have their children sealed to them, or those who were born in the covenant because of this fear of losing them to sin. This makes no sense either because repentence is for everyone.

Lets look at the language of section 132:
26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man marry a wife according to my word, and they are sealed by the aHoly Spirit of promise, according to mine appointment, and he or she shall commit any sin or transgression of the new and everlasting covenant whatever, and all manner of blasphemies, and if they commit no murder wherein they shed innocent blood, yet they shall come forth in the first resurrection, and enter into their exaltation; but they shall be destroyed in the flesh, and shall be delivered unto the buffetings of Satan unto the day of eredemption, saith the Lord God.
27 The blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which shall bnot be forgiven in the world nor out of the world, is in that ye commit dmurder wherein ye shed innocent blood, and assent unto my death, after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, saith the Lord God; and he that abideth not this law can in nowise enter into my glory, but shall be edamned, saith the Lord.

So you can pretty much commit any sin except the shedding of innocent blood and blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, and still qualify for exalation. This is how Joseph was able to promise entire familes this reward once they were sealed to him.
It doesn't mean they have fulfilled the covenant, but they are protected from being placed in the other 2 kingdoms by the sealing ordinance. The covenant is not fulfilled until they enter plural marriage, so this merely allows the children a higher status to qualify for exaltation than those who are not sealed.
Last edited by Shadrak on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Who Knows wrote:A related question:

Do they do sealings for the dead - in terms of sealing kids to their parents? In other words, lets say my friend and his family (wife and 2 kids) were not members of the church, and they were all killed in an airplane crash. I know they would all be baptized, and have their endowments done - and perhaps the husband and wife would be sealed together - but would the kids be sealed to their parents?

Another question, if hypothetical single 40 year old dies, are they sealed to anyone? Or do they just have their endowments done?

Gadianton wrote:I believe the answer is "yes" and for the other, a spouse will be appointed. You both are showing that the general rule of Celestial marriage doesn't make sense when given all the possible scenarios. I don't disagree. But what I'm saying about children being sealed to the parents is that it doesn't really make sense in any scenario. With the exception of the off-chance (and boy, it really is an off chance) that some parents will raise their kids who died young during the millenium.

Ok, so then will those kids who are sealed to their parents then be sealed to other, already dead spouses? And then the single 40 year old that's sealed to a spouse (the spouse is appointed), will he be sealed to his dead parents?

In effect, are there 2 sealings for the dead? 1 to the spouse, and 1 to the parents? I've never heard of this, but it seems like it should be the case, given that's how it works for live humans.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

The Nehor wrote:A problematic question because no one seems to know much about heaven. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Virtually all LDS art on the subject is depressing. They portray people walking around in droves in a park talking. It looks like an eternal family picnic (I.e. hell).

OMG! That was funny!

One explanation I have heard that has some merit is that those sealed to righteous parents or born in the covenant have privileges and rights extended to them through that covenant.

I don't understand what this means.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
The Nehor wrote:One explanation I have heard that has some merit is that those sealed to righteous parents or born in the covenant have privileges and rights extended to them through that covenant.

It means "you're special".
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Seven wrote:"Families can be together forever.
through Heavenly Father's plan..." This is one of the most popular songs I heard growing up and one that really instilled fears and also motivation in me to choose the right. The most horrible thought for a child is the threat of losing ones family. Talk about damaging a child's security!

In conference talks you will sometimes hear the leaders talk about "wayward children" who have a kind of second chance if you will, at remaining in their eternal family because of the sealing. I have heard many a parent talk about this safety they feel once they have their children sealed to them, or those who were born in the covenant because of this fear of losing them to sin. This makes no sense either because repentence is for everyone.

26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man marry a wife according to my word, and they are sealed by the aHoly Spirit of promise, according to mine appointment, and he or she shall commit any sin or transgression of the new and everlasting covenant whatever, and all manner of blasphemies, and if they commit no murder wherein they shed innocent blood, yet they shall come forth in the first resurrection, and enter into their exaltation; but they shall be destroyed in the flesh, and shall be delivered unto the buffetings of Satan unto the day of eredemption, saith the Lord God.
27 The blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which shall bnot be forgiven in the world nor out of the world, is in that ye commit dmurder wherein ye shed innocent blood, and assent unto my death, after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, saith the Lord God; and he that abideth not this law can in nowise enter into my glory, but shall be edamned, saith the Lord.

So you can pretty much commit any sin except the shedding of innocent blood and blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, and still qualify for exalation. This is how Joseph was able to promise entire familes this reward once they were sealed to him.
It doesn't mean they have fulfilled the covenant, but they are protected from being placed in the other 2 kingdoms by the sealing ordinance. The covenant is not fulfilled until they enter plural marriage, so this merely allows the children a higher status to qualify for exaltation than those who are not sealed.

Okay, I'm sorry for being such a dunce but a lot of the terminology you and other posters use here I'm not comprehending. The exaltation is when they go to the Celestial Kingdom? The covenant is what precisely? I'm so sorry, I just really don't understand.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Who Knows wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:
The Nehor wrote:One explanation I have heard that has some merit is that those sealed to righteous parents or born in the covenant have privileges and rights extended to them through that covenant.

So if your parents are righteous (and what would this mean exactly) then as their children you're sort of at the head of the line when it comes to kingdoms? I'm not following. Sorry!
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Who Knows wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:

So if your parents are righteous (and what would this mean exactly) then as their children you're sort of at the head of the line when it comes to kingdoms? I'm not following. Sorry!

Perhaps The Nehor is referring to the privileges extended through the covenants made available through the righteousness of the parents (if you yourself live worthy of them). Think along the lines of Abraham and his children.

Edited to add: Holy smokes that first sentence of mine is a run-on.
Last edited by Reflexzero on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Seven wrote:"Families can be together forever.

Okay, I'm sorry for being such a dunce but a lot of the terminology you and other posters use here I'm not comprehending. The exaltation is when they go to the Celestial Kingdom? The covenant is what precisely? I'm so sorry, I just really don't understand.

The Celestial Kingdom is divided into three kingdoms. All 3 are considered "heaven" because God and Jesus dwell there.
The highest level is where one can be exalted. Exaltation means that you are a God or Goddess and can create your own world, have endless spirit children, etc. The second level is not as clearly defined. I believe that is where monogamy will be, but there is no eternal increase there. The lowest level is for those that are not married and are ministering angels,or servants for those that are exalted. Once you get into the Celestial Kingdom, then you are able to progress up to the top if you are worthy, but the only level that allows for eternal increase/spiritual sex is the highest level.
Last edited by Shadrak on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Who Knows wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:

It goes back to the scriptures I posted in 132. You are saved from all sins except the shedding of innocent blood when you are under the covenant, so you will still have the opportunity for exaltation. Since LDS do this work for the dead, then all people will be given the same rights.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

barrelomonkeys wrote:So if your parents are righteous (and what would this mean exactly) then as their children you're sort of at the head of the line when it comes to kingdoms? I'm not following. Sorry!

It goes back to the whole premortal thing.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo