Glenn Beck

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_personage
_Emeritus

Glenn Beck

Post by _personage »

There is a thread on the MAD board about Glenn Becks conversion story. A video has been posted where he talks about the moment he realized that he had found the right church. The funny part is that he states that he doesn't care if there is Kool-Ade in the basement he will drink it. I think it is funny how everybody piled on to Tal when he made his comment about blowing himself up for the church but Glenn Becks comment is ok.
Has anyone else seen this? Unfortunately I don't know the magic trick to posting a link to the video. I can barely operate this thing.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Let me try my magic. Is this the video you were wanting to link?
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

If Glen Beck made a comment that he would partake in a mass suicide if asked, then I for one hereby condemn his comment (and idiocy) the same way I still think Tal’s was idiotic.

However, Mr. Beck may have been engaging in hyperbole; something that Tal expressly said he wasn't engaging in with his comment.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_personage
_Emeritus

Post by _personage »

Thank you Silentkid.
Dr. Steuss you make a good point and I understand what you are saying. It's just that I have seen some parallels between the Peoples Temple and the LDS Church. Even when I was an active member (LDS) I found those smilarities disturbing. I think bringing up Kool-Ade when talking about Mormonism is a bad idea under any circumstance.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

It is too bad that the user-name 'Beckite' has already been taken there, and that anybody who really likes Glen Beck can't take that user-name. (At least one of the Moderators over on the MA&D Board ended up banning the Poster 'Beckite' over there.)

As far as Glen Beck go on the radio, he is a better conservative to listen to than Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity. Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are still big time Bush supporters and Bush Apologists, that I can't hardly listen to them that much anymore. Glen Beck is Not really a Bush Apologist anymore, and he goes after the Bush Administration quite a bit and nearly a lot of the time now.
Last edited by MSNbot Media on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

personage wrote:Dr. Steuss you make a good point and I understand what you are saying. It's just that I have seen some parallels between the Peoples Temple and the LDS Church.

Hi personage,
I've probably seen some similar loose parallels. But at the same time I've seen them at political party type meetings and other such gatherings. Some people take the groups they belong to way too seriously. Often they allow their membership in an organization to become their defining characteristic. It’s a sad reality in my opinion.

Even when I was an active member (LDS) I found those smilarities disturbing.

I’m glad you found similarities to a suicide cult disturbing. in my opinion, you should. I think that the command for moderation in all things doesn't exclude religion. We should take our religion in moderation as well. It all goes back to the famous BY quote about his fear that the people would end up being too obedient to the leadership because... well... they're leaders.

I think bringing up Kool-Ade when talking about Mormonism is a bad idea under any circumstance.

It was probably a bad call on Beck's account. I don't know much about the guy. I've heard that his show is kind of funny, so maybe he thought it was kind of a humorous little jab at his newfound faith. Who knows(?) I just hope that he wasn't serious. The last thing any religion needs is lemmings that are willing to take a suicidal cliff leap (be it via Kool-aid or TNT).
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

silentkid wrote:Let me try my magic. Is this the video you were wanting to link?

Hi Kid, thanks for the site. Interesting interview. Fifty years ago i would have been G.B. I know exactly how he feels. I was there too. I can relate completely with his sentiment re his wife and kids. Particularly the influence and love of an exception woman/wife. None luckier than me, ;-)...

Saturday night was preparation for Sunday time. My wife would have our (then 3) daughters dressed with fresh, matching dresses, shoes shined et al, to walk the 1/4 mile along the quiet country road to the First Phase Chapel we were working on. (It's now a Stake Centre.) Especially was it wonderful in the Spring when apple blossums lent their beauty and fragrance to our strole...

It WAS good, because it was "A" church that filled us with warmth and satisfaction. Worth every penny of our 15-20 percent contributions. It was Our Church. However, over decades we were to understand, it was not our religion...

I think it quite sgnificant, that Glenn did not mention 'religion' or 'doctrine' at all. He talked of the significance, particularly of the one man who extended his disposition of "Love" towards him... Wonder, had that not happened???

I think there is a growing 'appreciation' of the distinction between "Church" and "Religion"...'Church' is the, "spirit that gives life." 'Religion' is the, "letter that killeth." Might it be so? Warm regards, Roger
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Roger Morrison wrote:[...]'Church' is the, "spirit that gives life." 'Religion' is the, "letter that killeth." Might it be so? Warm regards, Roger

This is an interesting thought... I'm gonna have to meditate on this for a bit.