Experiences With The Occult

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

The Dude wrote:Ghosts are stupid.

LOL! We need to make some t-shirts with this slogan.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I knew some people and did it with them. .....And that was the end of it for me. I didn't believe any of it for a second.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

KimberlyAnn wrote:My younger sister thinks she sees dead people. I don't believe in ghosts and I never did even when I was a Mormon, so I think she's imagining things.

She will not stay the night in my house because she thinks my husband's dead mother is lurking upstairs. True, her urn is in my bedroom, but that just doesn't creep me out, though it was the impetus for my sister's spooky dead mother-in-law sightings. She sees ghosts in hotels, too, and has left them in the middle of the night rather than stay in her "haunted" room. I sometimes worry about her, but for the most part, she seems to function normally except for her "sightings".

KA

I don't believe in ghosts either but we have really odd things that happen in our house. Our home is 97 years old and is 4 stories. We have an intercom system and the 4th story calls us all the time when we're all sitting in the living room. We've nicknamed our friend "barry" and when anything odd happens or something is missing we say "barry did it."
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

barrelomonkeys wrote:.....And that was the end of it for me. I didn't believe any of it for a second.

Glad to see you are opening up a bit. LOL
Last edited by W3C [Validator] on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Tarski wrote:
Glad to see you are opening up a bit. LOL

OMG! I was just about to edit that! Will you erase it please? I'm erasing mine. :D
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

I guess I am missing the occult/spiritual gene. Never seen or felt anything out of the ordinary or supernatural. I've felt strong emotion for family and loved ones, and I'm a sucker for a sappy story, but that is as close as it gets. I would love to experience or see something other worldly, but no such luck. So I get my fantasy from World of Warcraft. At least that I can turn off when I want to.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

silentkid wrote:
Blixa: I'm reading a book (fiction) right now called The Diviners. The plot revolves around a group of people trying to get a mini-series off the ground. One of the main themes of the series is the ability to find water by means of dousing. The book also mentions Mormonism on random tangents.

Sounds interesting. I'm not an out and out believer in dousing, but as I said, I have seen things that at least look like its working. Who knows?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Had a guy in my ward who was a leyline hunter. He used a practice similar to dowsing. I went out with him a few times. Interesting guy.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

My dad believed he could find water by using two wires. When they crossed, that's where the water was, supposedly. He invested several thousand dollars once, drilling for water he'd supposedly located via his dousing. It came up dry, so he had to bring water to their place from the neighboring town. He was very disappointed. He was so certain if they just went a little deeper...

Personally I think the whole occult thing is nonsense, invented eons ago to scare children and gullible people. There is evil, but it comes from men and women, not ghosts. "The devil made me do it" is a copout, a failure to take personal responsibility, and is used altogether too often in Mormon-lore.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

harmony wrote:My dad believed he could find water by using two wires. When they crossed, that's where the water was, supposedly. He invested several thousand dollars once, drilling for water he'd supposedly located via his dousing. It came up dry, so he had to bring water to their place from the neighboring town. He was very disappointed. He was so certain if they just went a little deeper...

Personally I think the whole occult thing is nonsense, invented eons ago to scare children and gullible people. There is evil, but it comes from men and women, not ghosts. "The devil made me do it" is a copout, a failure to take personal responsibility, and is used altogether too often in Mormon-lore.

I've never heard the "devil made me do it" in LDS circles except as a joke. They hammer endlessly the point that Satan can entice but can compel you to do nothing.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo