Past BYU MUSIC that SMACKS the face of the LGT!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

PP,

The date on that production is around 1980. I remember it because my parents had something to do with it when it came to our area.

The Dude is right that "adoption" is the only way to make sense of it. According to LGT, modern day "Lamanites" have as much to do with Lamen and Lemuel as I do with Genghis Khan.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Gadianton wrote:PP,

The date on that production is around 1980. I remember it because my parents had something to do with it when it came to our area.

The Dude is right that "adoption" is the only way to make sense of it. According to LGT, modern day "Lamanites" have as much to do with Lamen and Lemuel as I do with Genghis Khan.

I dare say you have much more to do with Genghis Khan that modern native americans have to do with "Lamen and Lemuel"--and that for two reasons.

1. The first reason is simply that Laman and Lemual are not real.

2. The second reason is in this quote
How I am related to Genghis Khan
How I am related to Genghis Khan - World - Times Online : the fascinating proof from genetics that an accountant in Florida is a descendent of Mongols.

This is less interesting than it sounds. I too, am almost certainly descended from Ghengis Khan and Mohammed and just about any major figure in history who had lots of children.

http://editor.slate.com/default.aspx/id/2138060/

The accountant can show that he's (probably) a direct male descendent, which is kindda neat, but not very relevant genetically. You are just as much descended from your mother as from your father, so it could easily be the case that your mother is a direct descendent of Ghengis Khan's daughters. Due to a quirk in the Y-chromosome, it's possible to prove the male descendency but not the female......
http://richardsprague.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-i-am-related-to-genghis-kha.html

You might actually be related to Ghengis Khan; well just maybe.
Last edited by W3C [Validator] on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

A third reason is this study I ran across when I was debating David Stewart:

We have identified a Y-chromosomal lineage with several unusual features. It was found in 16 populations throughout a large region of Asia, stretching from the Pacific to the Caspian Sea, and was present at high frequency: approximately 8% of the men in this region carry it, and it thus makes up approximately 0.5% of the world total. The pattern of variation within the lineage suggested that it originated in Mongolia approximately 1,000 years ago. Such a rapid spread cannot have occurred by chance; it must have been a result of selection. The lineage is carried by likely male-line descendants of Genghis Khan, and we therefore propose that it has spread by a novel form of social selection resulting from their behavior.

Kinda' funny that you picked Genghis Khan. Were you aware that he probably has more direct male descendants than any other single male in the last 1,000 years?
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Failing to see the problem with those hymns. My grandfather told me about some of them and he said Native American converts loved them the most.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

The Dude wrote:
Who Knows wrote:If I understand it correctly, the LGT does not prevent native americans from being 'lamanites'. In fact, I've posed this same question to DCP. And although he believes in the LGT, he believes that all native americans (both in north and south america) are 'lamanites'.

In other words, the 'story' of the Book of Mormon would take place in a limited part of the americas, however, the 'lamanite people' would have occupied the entire americas (lamanite meaning 'non-believer').

Just a heads up - that the LGT apologists aren't going to agree with you - that those native americans are not lamanites.

That's the new way of thinking about it. Lamanite by adoption is how you make this cheesy music fit with a limited Book of Mormon theory, and while it works on the apologetic surface, it breaks down when you start questioning the limits of the idea.

Does DCP think polynesians are properly called 'lamanites'? If yes, then why not travel a little further east and call the Australian aborigines, the people of New Guinea, the Okinawans and Japaneese, and the northeastern Siberians 'lamanites' as well? Under limited Book of Mormon theory, they should have had no more cultural or biological contact with Book of Mormon people than did Polynesians, or for that matter Native Americans of Canada or Amazonia. "Lamanite" becomes a watered down convention under the LGT, and the 'Lamanite generation' hoopla is hysterical sillyness.

In contrast, if you travelled back in time and asked the folks of Pres. Kimball's "Lamanite Generation" if their brown skin is explained by ancient Book of Mormon events, what do you think they'd say? They would give a proud yes! Because they believed in a grandly pseudoscientific Book of Mormon theory, not a limited one.

Bumping for DCP.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...