Past BYU MUSIC that SMACKS the face of the LGT!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Past BYU MUSIC that SMACKS the face of the LGT!

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

OMG!! Talk about past BYU publications that SMACK in the face of LGT!!!!

And talk about shameless raping of the Indians of their identity for the glory of Mormon fools.

Yes, I'm a Lamanite
The Lamanite Generation was a musical variety show featuring talented American Indian, Polynesian, Mexican Americans, and native Latin American students in both traditional and contemporary productions. The word "Lamanite" is used to describe all of the above cultures.

Listen to some of the songs that just SMACK the FARM boys in the LGT ASS:
We Are the Lamanite Generation
Yes, I’m a Lamanite

Anyone have any idea on what year this was produced at BYU?

A more accurate title for today would be "Yes, I am a brown sinful Hebrew"
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Re: Past BYU MUSIC that SMACKS the face of the LGT!

Post by _Tarski »

Since lot of native americans live in the west where there is lots of Mormons, I wonder how many, even nonmembers, have picked up on this idea that they are decended from Hebrews. What if this gets to be thier own self identity just when the LGT starts to pull the rug out from under them. Ironic it would be.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

If I understand it correctly, the LGT does not prevent native americans from being 'lamanites'. In fact, I've posed this same question to DCP. And although he believes in the LGT, he believes that all native americans (both in north and south america) are 'lamanites'.

In other words, the 'story' of the Book of Mormon would take place in a limited part of the americas, however, the 'lamanite people' would have occupied the entire americas (lamanite meaning 'non-believer').

Just a heads up - that the LGT apologists aren't going to agree with you - that those native americans are not lamanites.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Who Knows wrote:In other words, the 'story' of the Book of Mormon would take place in a limited part of the americas, however, the 'lamanite people' would have occupied the entire americas (lamanite meaning 'non-believer').

Ah, I hadn't heard this explanation. Thannks!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Who Knows wrote:If I understand it correctly, the LGT does not prevent native americans from being 'lamanites'. In fact, I've posed this same question to DCP. And although he believes in the LGT, he believes that all native americans (both in north and south america) are 'lamanites'.

In other words, the 'story' of the Book of Mormon would take place in a limited part of the americas, however, the 'lamanite people' would have occupied the entire americas (lamanite meaning 'non-believer').

Just a heads up - that the LGT apologists aren't going to agree with you - that those native americans are not lamanites.

That's the new way of thinking about it. Lamanite by adoption is how you make this cheesy music fit with a limited Book of Mormon theory, and while it works on the apologetic surface, it breaks down when you start questioning the limits of the idea.

Does DCP think polynesians are properly called 'lamanites'? If yes, then why not travel a little further east and call the Australian aborigines, the people of New Guinea, the Okinawans and Japaneese, and the northeastern Siberians 'lamanites' as well? Under limited Book of Mormon theory, they should have had no more cultural or biological contact with Book of Mormon people than did Polynesians, or for that matter Native Americans of Canada or Amazonia. "Lamanite" becomes a watered down convention under the LGT, and the 'Lamanite generation' hoopla is hysterical sillyness.

In contrast, if you travelled back in time and asked the folks of Pres. Kimball's "Lamanite Generation" if their brown skin is explained by ancient Book of Mormon events, what do you think they'd say? They would give a proud yes! Because they believed in a grandly pseudoscientific Book of Mormon theory, not a limited one.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

The Dude wrote:Does DCP think polynesians are properly called 'lamanites'? If yes, then why not travel a little further east and call the Australian aborigines, the people of New Guinea, the Okinawans and Japaneese, and the northeastern Siberians 'lamanites' as well? Under limited Book of Mormon theory, they should have had no more cultural or biological contact with Book of Mormon people than did Polynesians, or for that matter Native Americans of Canada or Amazonia. "Lamanite" becomes a watered down convention under the LGT, and the 'Lamanite generation' hoopla is hysterical sillyness.

I'll try to remember to 'bump' this when he returns. I'd like to hear his response.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Re: Past BYU MUSIC that SMACKS the face of the LGT!

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Polygamy Porter wrote:OMG!! Talk about past BYU publications that SMACK in the face of LGT!!!!

And talk about shameless raping of the Indians of their identity for the glory of Mormon fools.

Yes, I'm a Lamanite
The Lamanite Generation was a musical variety show featuring talented American Indian, Polynesian, Mexican Americans, and native Latin American students in both traditional and contemporary productions. The word "Lamanite" is used to describe all of the above cultures.

There's some even better music in old LDS hymnals. I have an LDS Church hymnal published in December 1928 under copyright dated 1927 by Pres. Heber J. Grant on behalf of the LDS Church. I found these two (now discontinued) hymns discussing the Mormon view of "the Red Man."

I know, these songs were products of their "times" but the inherent racism is quite extraordinary.

"O Stop and Tell Me, Red Man" by W.W. Phelps -- Hymn No. 64

Verse 1: O stop and tell me, Red Man, Who are you, why you roam, And how you get your living; Have you no God, no home? With stature straight and portly, And decked in native pride -- With feathers, paints and brooches, He willingly replied:

Verse 2: "I once was pleasant Ephraim, When Jacob for me prayed; But oh, how blessings vanish, When man from God has strayed! Before your nation knew us, Some thousand moons ago, Our fathers fell in darkness, And wandered to and fro."

Verse 3: "And long they've lived by hunting Instead of works and arts, And so our race has dwindled To idle Indian hearts. Yet hope within us lingers, As if the Spirit spoke, He'll come for your redemption, And break the Gentile yoke."

Verse 4: And all your captive brothers From ev'ry clime shall come, And quit their savage customs, To live with God at home. Then joy will fill your bosoms, And blessings crown our days, To live in pure religion, And sing our Maker's praise.

But, wait, it gets even better. This next one has 12 verses, so I'll just give you the more interesting ones. The lyrics are by Charles Penrose (member of 1st Presidency under either Smith or Grant) and the music by Evan Stephens (Tabernacle Choir director):

"Great Spirit, Listen to the Red Man's Wail!" -- Hymn No. 77

Verse 1: Great Spirit, listen to the red man's wail! Great Spirit, listen to the red man's wail! Thou hast the power to help him in his woe, Thou hast the pow'r to help him in his woe, Thy mighty arm was never known to fail; Thy mighty arm was never known to fail. Great Chieftain, save him from the pale-faced foe! Great Chieftain, save him from the pale-faced foe!

Verse 6: The red man ceased, and trembling with delight, For brighter far than the meridian sun, A dazzling vision burst upon his sight -- A glorious angel from the Holy One!

Verse 7: "Your prayers are heard," he said, "and I am here To tell you what will shortly come to pass; Your foes shall perish like the sun-scorched grass."

Verse 8: "The Holy Book your fathers hid is found, Your 'Mormon' brothers will the truth reveal; Though troubles press, and all seems black around, Obey their words -- your soul's deep wounds will heal."

Verse 9: "Not many moons shall pass away before The curse of darkness from your skins shall flee, Your ancient beauty [ED. NOTE: i.e., white skin] will the Lord restore, And all your tribes shall dwell in unity."

Verse 10: "The arts of peace shall flourish ne'er to die; The warwhoop and the deadly strife shall cease; Disease shall then depart, and every sigh, And health and life shall flow in every breeze."

Verse 11: "Farewell! remember I was once on earth [ED. NOTE: I guess it's Moroni speaking], And served the Lord of hosts on this fair land, Observed his sacred precepts from my birth, And now I dwell in bliss at His right hand."

Verse 12 (the final one): The angel left and darkness came again, But light and joy dwelt in the Indian's soul, Oh, may the day soon dawn for Ephraim's reign, When all the "glorious land" he shall control.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

As I understand it, the name Lamanite Generation was their second choice. Their first choice was the Zions Collection of Mormon Indians. That idea was vetoed by Church Authorities because the acronym was already taken.

And now you know the rest of the story....
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

*snort* or True Dat? I can't decide!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

I'm speachless about these songs... WOW!

But....

They are just opinions!

The leaders of the church do not have to approve every little song and story used by the church.

Just because there were hymns sung proclaiming this belief/doctrine doesn't mean anyone believed it.

This was not a revelation so it doesn't count as anything more than one's guys ideas.

The church did not teach the HGT... singing about it doesn't count.

;-)

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj