Was Emma an abused wife?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
auteur55 wrote:
Is that an actual picture of you as your avatar? Very fitting.

No it's not me but how exactly is it fitting?

Also why are you such an unpleasant person?
It fits your online demeanor, kinda down beat, whoa is me.. poor persecuted Mormon...

I am unpleasant?

I guess truth is unpleasant to some..

Aueteur is being kind, PP. You're not being "unpleasant". You're being an ass.

You started another thread in this forum where you dealt strictly with facts, so it IS possible for you to state your views without throwing insults at people every five minutes.

Are you PMSing? Maybe I need to send my chocolate stash your way. ;)
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

auteur55 wrote:Just making sure this works.

Joseph loved Emma with all his heart. You can't read his letters to her and think otherwise. Emma loved her husband and this is why polygamy was so hard.

Hi auteur55,
I have a question for you. Can you provide any references that Joseph found polygamy so hard? In other words, evidence that he was emotionally tormented or heart broken by the pain he caused this woman you believe he loved with all his heart? I have never seen a letter or any kind of writing from Joseph Smith that indicated he was heart sick over what pain and emotional abuse he caused Emma in living polygamy. I can't even find evidence that he ever struggled in taking another wife. He was very determined to end monogamy and model himself after Prophets in the Old Testaament that were sleeping around with many concubines and wives. Those that knew of his plural marriage teachings were aware that he was passionate about living polygamy.

They are both in heaven together and Emma's trials are over.

If Emma hated polygamy on earth, those feelings she will take with her in heaven. There have been many LDS teachings and scriptures to support that. When she is threatened with damnation and destruction for rejecting polygamy, it is referring to her eternal reward. She will not be with Joseph if you believe in section 132. ;) Emma condemned plural marraige and it is only recently that the LDS church even portrays her in a positive light.

It is a powerful love story when you can see through all the mortal muck.

Love story? Where was the love for Emma when he was going to bed with other women? It's a tragic story of a devoted wife who trusted a man that violated in a most abusive manner, the most sacred vows of marriage.
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Seven wrote:
auteur55 wrote:Just making sure this works.

Joseph loved Emma with all his heart. You can't read his letters to her and think otherwise. Emma loved her husband and this is why polygamy was so hard.

Hi auteur55,
I have a question for you. Can you provide any references that Joseph found polygamy so hard?
I bet the teen virgins found it hard.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QWhFsDk7L4E