Words to live by.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Cooper
_Emeritus

Words to live by.

Post by _Cooper »

This was posted by Sarah S. on Rfm and seemed to really resonate with me this morning.

For those adhering to the Judeo-Christian teachings here are some inspired words from your canonized scriptures to brighten your day and guide your daily decision making. Thanks be to god.

"there came out a fire from the Lord, and consumed the 250 men that offered incense" (Num. 16:35). "The Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died" (Num. 21:6). "See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound and I heal...." (Deut. 32:39). "The Lord smote the men of Beth-shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the Lord, even he smote of the people 50,070 men: and the people lamented, because the Lord had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter" (1 Sam. 6:19). "The Lord kills, and makes alive: he brings down to the grave, and brings up" (1 Sam. 2:6). "The hand of the Lord was heavy upon them of Ashdod, and he destroyed them, and smote them...." (1 Sam. 5:6). "it came to pass about 10 days after, that the Lord smote Nabal, that he died" (1 Sam. 25:38). "Who smote great nations and slew mighty kings...." (Psalms 135:10). "For by fire and by his sword will the Lord plead with all flesh: and the slain of the Lord shall be many" (Isaiah 66:16). "I will dash them one against another, even the father and the sons together, saith the Lord: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them" (Jer. 13:14). "I have sent among you the pestilence after the manner of Egypt: your young men have I slain with the sword...." (Amos 4:10). "For our God is a consuming fire" (Heb. 12:29). Also note: Gen. 38:7,10, Ex. 22:23-24, Num. 11:1, Deut. 32:41-42, Joshua 10:10-11, 1 Sam. 5:9, Psalms 136:17-18, Hosea 9:16, Amos 2:3, Ex. 4:24, 2 Sam. 6:6-7, and 2 Kings 5:7.

"ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword. And five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put 10,000 to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword" (Lev. 26:7-8). "the Lord said to Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the Lord against the sun, that the fierce anger of the Lord may be turned away from Israel. And Moses said to the judges of Israel. Slay every one his men that were joined to Baal" (Num. 25:4-5). "Vex the Midianites and smite them" (Num. 25:17). "But of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breathes. But thou shalt utterly destroy them...as the Lord thy God has commanded thee" (Deut. 20:16-17). "So Joshua smote all the country of the hills...he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel commanded" (Joshua 10:40). "As I listened, god said to the others, 'Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. Slaughter old men, young men and maidens, women and children...." (Ezek. 9:5-6). "And the Lord sent you on a mission, saying 'Go and completely destroy those wicked people, the Amalekites; make war on them until you have wiped them out.'" (1 Sam. 15:18). "Attack the land of Merathaim and those who live in Pekod. Pursue, kill and completely destroy them' declares the Lord. Do everything I have commanded you" (Jer. 50:21). "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys" (1 Sam. 15:3). Also note: Ex. 32:27-28, Num. 21:34-35, 31:7-8, 35:19-21, and Jer. 48:10.

http://skeptically.org/oldtestament/id11.html

Unfortunately several nations administrations actually do live by these delusional teachings.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

So your idea of "words to live by" is a bunch of Bible quotes that demonstrate "god" to be a murderous psychopath...

"Lawd thy Gawd said do this or He will KILL YOU in his infinite mercy! RAR!"
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Just another individual with stumps to stand on instead of feet, who feels the need to try to convince those who choose to adhere to the judeo-christian tradition that they're "wrong, by quoting scripture out of context. It's actually kind of cute to see their efforts. These individuals never take the time, and probably do not have the ability to engage in the study necessary to take these lines in context, or to see the "human" in the writings.

Pity them. They're just as frightened as they feel the judeo-christian adherents to be. These individuals often get their feelings of worth from posting things like this and singgering at how "pitiful" people of faith are. :-)
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Cooper
_Emeritus

Post by _Cooper »

GIMR wrote:Just another individual with stumps to stand on instead of feet, who feels the need to try to convince those who choose to adhere to the judeo-christian tradition that they're "wrong, by quoting scripture out of context. It's actually kind of cute to see their efforts. These individuals never take the time, and probably do not have the ability to engage in the study necessary to take these lines in context, or to see the "human" in the writings.

Pity them. They're just as frightened as they feel the judeo-christian adherents to be. These individuals often get their feelings of worth from posting things like this and singgering at how "pitiful" people of faith are. :-)

Nope...not quoted out of context. If you believe the Old Testament/Torah literally then god really did kill hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children for the basic reason that they did not worship him. That same god also ordered the genocidal act of killing all living things in the Land of Canaan again for not believing in his bloodthirsty, racist religion.

There is little of moral value and much that is morally reprehensible in the canonized scriptures of Christianity and Judaism. I wonder if you have ever even cracked the cover on these texts as your statements indicate a complete lack of knowledge concerning the contents of the Bible and Torah. It is pity that you claim a belief in a god that you know virtually nothing about.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Cooper wrote:
GIMR wrote:Just another individual with stumps to stand on instead of feet, who feels the need to try to convince those who choose to adhere to the judeo-christian tradition that they're "wrong, by quoting scripture out of context. It's actually kind of cute to see their efforts. These individuals never take the time, and probably do not have the ability to engage in the study necessary to take these lines in context, or to see the "human" in the writings.

Nope...not quoted out of context. If you believe the Old Testament/Torah literally then god really did kill hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children for the basic reason that they did not worship him. That same god also ordered the genocidal act of killing all living things in the Land of Canaan again for not believing in his bloodthirsty, racist religion.

There is little of moral value and much that is morally reprehensible in the canonized scriptures of Christianity and Judaism. I wonder if you have ever even cracked the cover on these texts as your statements indicate a complete lack of knowledge concerning the contents of the Bible and Torah. It is pity that you claim a belief in a god that you know virtually nothing about.

When you actually take an Old Testament class and learn a little about postmodernism, come back and talk to the adults.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Cooper
_Emeritus

Post by _Cooper »

GIMR wrote:
Cooper wrote:

When you actually take an Old Testament class and learn a little about postmodernism, come back and talk to the adults.

Looks like you are out of ammunition. As with all religious people the only defenses you have are based on logical fallacies. Look up ad hominem attack and then we can talk.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Cooper,

What makes you think that was God talking? Because the author's said so? Let me guess. Ex-LDS, the LDS Quad is all BS including the Bible in it, the LDS Church ruled your life and thank goodness you're OUT and now you're taking your cues from skeptic websites.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Jersey Girl wrote:Cooper,

What makes you think that was God talking? Because the author's said so? Let me guess. Ex-LDS, the LDS Quad is all BS including the Bible in it, the LDS Church ruled your life and thank goodness you're OUT and now you're taking your cues from skeptic websites.

Probably. That's the only God they know, so God has to be bad. And anyone who contradicts is attacking.

Cooper, my reponses to you were not ad-hom. I've said nothing about your character, rather that you don't know the context of the Old Testament, or many of the varying interpretations thereof.
_marg

Post by _marg »

GIMR wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Cooper,

Probably. That's the only God they know, so God has to be bad. And anyone who contradicts is attacking.

Cooper, my reponses to you were not ad-hom. I've said nothing about your character, rather that you don't know the context of the Old Testament, or many of the varying interpretations thereof.

GIMR, you've said nothing to explain how those quotes were taken out of context and hence misrepresented Judeo-Christian beliefs. Your response to him/her was a ad hom. You shifted the focus off the content/issue of the post onto the poster. It is a fallacious diversionary tactic.

And Jersey Girl were does he say he thinks that those quotes represent a "real" God was talking?
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Hi Cooper, I've pretty much ignore most of the Old Testament because it actually hurts what little spark of faith there might be in me. I believe the Bible was written by men, for men. I don't know if there is a God. I doubt there is much of the time. If there is a God I don't believe he kills people, I don't believe he cares for us one way or another. I rather suspect he’s forgotten about us entirely.

I take the teachings of Christ and can take comfort in some of those. Although I find they're not necessary to have a good life and be a good person. I do however know that in times of turmoil I've found the New Testament to be of some comfort to me. I'm definitely a cherry picker. :)