Words to live by.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Cooper wrote:Nope...not quoted out of context. If you believe the Old Testament/Torah literally then god really did kill hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children for the basic reason that they did not worship him. That same god also ordered the genocidal act of killing all living things in the Land of Canaan again for not believing in his bloodthirsty, racist religion.

There is little of moral value and much that is morally reprehensible in the canonized scriptures of Christianity and Judaism. I wonder if you have ever even cracked the cover on these texts as your statements indicate a complete lack of knowledge concerning the contents of the Bible and Torah. It is pity that you claim a belief in a god that you know virtually nothing about.

That is God's right. We take death to be the ultimate violation when he sees it as an inevitability and can select when it is best to bring his children home. Having a comfortable and extended mortal life doesn't seem to be integral to his purposes or he'd have made us a little less fragile.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

GIMR wrote:Just another individual with stumps to stand on instead of feet, who feels the need to try to convince those who choose to adhere to the judeo-christian tradition that they're "wrong, by quoting scripture out of context. It's actually kind of cute to see their efforts. These individuals never take the time, and probably do not have the ability to engage in the study necessary to take these lines in context, or to see the "human" in the writings.

Pity them. They're just as frightened as they feel the judeo-christian adherents to be. These individuals often get their feelings of worth from posting things like this and singgering at how "pitiful" people of faith are. :-)

Go gay bash or something. Your trite closed minded ramblings are getting old.

What happened GIMR? You used to be cool in my book. Oh, that's right...I deflated your sense of worth by showing you the charade that is your "God".

Get over it, move on and live a happier life.

Could it be that you reject Atheism because you reject your family? Just guessing, you know, since im projecting and all. Damn...better talk to my therapist about that.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Mercury wrote:

Why don't you go pick on one of the "retarded" kids since you have such a things for "retards" Mercury?
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

barrelomonkeys wrote: I take the teachings of Christ and can take comfort in some of those. Although I find they're not necessary to have a good life and be a good person. I do however know that in times of turmoil I've found the New Testament to be of some comfort to me. I'm definitely a cherry picker. :)

The fact is, anyone and everyone who reads and believes in the Bible is a cherry picker (you just happen to have consciously acknowledged it; good on ya!) As Dawkins beautifully points out, one does not derive their morality from the Bible, they pick and choose the parts of the Bible that adhere to what is already naturally their morality.

If you take the Bible literally and completely, you're required to become a homicidal maniac, just like god is. And if you bring this up, you'll always get responses like "you have to take it in context; you have to read it with a spirit of love, etc" which is basically saying "you have to superimpose your own meaning over it in order to make it of any value whatsoever."

More rationalization has been done in the name of defending the Bible than any other piece of literature there is... and there isn't even a close second to be found.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Some Schmo wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote: I take the teachings of Christ and can take comfort in some of those. Although I find they're not necessary to have a good life and be a good person. I do however know that in times of turmoil I've found the New Testament to be of some comfort to me. I'm definitely a cherry picker. :)

The fact is, anyone and everyone who reads and believes in the Bible is a cherry picker (you just happen to have consciously acknowledged it; good on ya!) As Dawkins beautifully points out, one does not derive their morality from the Bible, they pick and choose the parts of the Bible that adhere to what is already naturally their morality.

If you take the Bible literally and completely, you're required to become a homicidal maniac, just like god is. And if you bring this up, you'll always get responses like "you have to take it in context; you have to read it with a spirit of love, etc" which is basically saying "you have to superimpose your own meaning over it in order to make it of any value whatsoever."

More rationalization has been done in the name of defending the Bible than any other piece of literature there is... and there isn't even a close second to be found.

Hi Schmo, I don't believe in the Bible.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:

Hi Schmo, I don't believe in the Bible.

I know you don't believe it's an actual historical account, but based on what you said, it's safe to say that you believe in some comfort that can be derived from it.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Those quotes are examples of the branchs of the vine being trimmed in order for the healthy parts to be able to grow.

A trimming of the vineyard.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gazelam wrote:Those quotes are examples of the branchs of the vine being trimmed in order for the healthy parts to be able to grow.

A trimming of the vineyard.

Hmph. Is that what they're calling mass murder these days? "A trimming of the vineyard?" Interesting. I did not know that.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

marg wrote:
GIMR wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Cooper,

What makes you think that was God talking? Because the author's said so? Let me guess. Ex-LDS, the LDS Quad is all BS including the Bible in it, the LDS Church ruled your life and thank goodness you're OUT and now you're taking your cues from skeptic websites.

Probably. That's the only God they know, so God has to be bad. And anyone who contradicts is attacking.

Cooper, my reponses to you were not ad-hom. I've said nothing about your character, rather that you don't know the context of the Old Testament, or many of the varying interpretations thereof.

GIMR, you've said nothing to explain how those quotes were taken out of context and hence misrepresented Judeo-Christian beliefs. Your response to him/her was a ad hom. You shifted the focus off the content/issue of the post onto the poster. It is a fallacious diversionary tactic.

And Jersey Girl were does he say he thinks that those quotes represent a "real" God was talking?

Oh boy, it's the Marg monkey on my back again....back to nitpick on a principle for the sake of a princple that only Marg knows about. I'm not going to post each and every scripture, the chapters behind them, etc., the ones before and after. Let Cooper do the work... Anyone with sense would know that there's more to the Bible than one line. Any one who really wants to know what the Bible says would know that random lines like what is posted above don't make sense.

But when you're leaving something that has bothered you, you will do whatever you can to discredit it. I understand that. Nitpick away, Marg.

With regards to Jersey Girl's comment...of course he thinks it's God talking...this is someone who has no idea about the Bible.

Marg, you can do better. Stop using big words and use your brain.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Mercury wrote:
GIMR wrote:Just another individual with stumps to stand on instead of feet, who feels the need to try to convince those who choose to adhere to the judeo-christian tradition that they're "wrong, by quoting scripture out of context. It's actually kind of cute to see their efforts. These individuals never take the time, and probably do not have the ability to engage in the study necessary to take these lines in context, or to see the "human" in the writings.

Pity them. They're just as frightened as they feel the judeo-christian adherents to be. These individuals often get their feelings of worth from posting things like this and singgering at how "pitiful" people of faith are. :-)

What happened GIMR? You used to be cool in my book. Oh, that's right...I deflated your sense of worth by showing you the charade that is your "God".

Get over it, move on and live a happier life.

Could it be that you reject Atheism because you reject your family? Just guessing, you know, since I'm projecting and all. Damn...better talk to my therapist about that.

I just saw this...

Merc, my whole family believes in God. What is up? Why are you in so much pain? What happened to you?! Do you need a helping hand? Reject my family? What are you talking about? Merc? Can you seriously go to the nearest ER or call one of these numbers?

1-800-448-3000

1-800-999-9999

Cool? You thought I was once cool? LOL! Because you thought I thouht it was ok to abuse LDS people? You misunderstood, little boy. I said I respected yours and PP's right to be anti-Mormon. I too, am anti-LDS INC. But I draw the LINE AT ABUSE OF LDS PEOPLE!!! I defended your right to have the bishop leave you the hell alone, and I'd do it again, but I work on principle, not prejudice. You don't get kudos in my book just because you left the church. You earn my respect based on the integrity you have.

Gay bash? Man, the hell with you, and you can put THAT in your signature too, you mental little freak. I have gay friends who will be welcome in the church I might one day have if I go into ministry, and I'd kick every other person out for them. You're just pulling stuff out of your ass now. You are just a dick, Merc. Seriously. You DO need therapy.

Your personal problems aren't about anything other than you. You don't know about my family story, so stop trying to project, or go on the off topic forum and read. For the last damn time, both of my parents believe (or in the case of my father, believed) in God. And they are good people despite their errors towards me). You need to deal with that canker on your heart, and stop telling everyone who believes in God that THEY are a detriment to society, because what is real is that the detriment is you.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi