Words to live by.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Some Schmo wrote:
Gazelam wrote:Those quotes are examples of the branchs of the vine being trimmed in order for the healthy parts to be able to grow.

A trimming of the vineyard.

Hmph. Is that what they're calling mass murder these days? "A trimming of the vineyard?" Interesting. I did not know that.

Your short sighted Schmo. This life is just a small moment in time. How important are your junior high school years to you in your memory?

If there is a group of people who are incapable of receiving the gospel and holding up the plans of God, then they are trimmed away that a righteous branch may grow.

There is no salvation in ignorance. The gospel must be taught and applied in order for the lessons to be learned and effect change in the people.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_marg

Post by _marg »

GIMR wrote:
Oh boy, it's the Marg monkey on my back again....back to nitpick on a principle for the sake of a princple that only Marg knows about. I'm not going to post each and every scripture, the chapters behind them, etc., the ones before and after. Let Cooper do the work... Anyone with sense would know that there's more to the Bible than one line. Any one who really wants to know what the Bible says would know that random lines like what is posted above don't make sense.

But when you're leaving something that has bothered you, you will do whatever you can to discredit it. I understand that. Nitpick away, Marg.

With regards to Jersey Girl's comment...of course he thinks it's God talking...this is someone who has no idea about the Bible.

Marg, you can do better. Stop using big words and use your brain.

Cooper presented some quotes from the O.T. You told him they were out of context.

His response to you: "Nope...not quoted out of context. If you believe the Old Testament/Torah literally then god really did kill hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children for the basic reason that they did not worship him. That same god also ordered the genocidal act of killing all living things in the Land of Canaan again for not believing in his bloodthirsty, racist religion.

There is little of moral value and much that is morally reprehensible in the canonized scriptures of Christianity and Judaism. I wonder if you have ever even cracked the cover on these texts as your statements indicate a complete lack of knowledge concerning the contents of the Bible and Torah. It is pity that you claim a belief in a god that you know virtually nothing about."

And you responded: "When you actually take an Old Testament class and learn a little about postmodernism, come back and talk to the adults."

Do you think you are actually convincing readers and supporting your position? He presented actual quotes, those quotes back up what he says and all you do is offer ad hominem, and you sound arrogant to boot. Ad hominem fallacy means you've shifted the focus off the content or issue of the discussion onto the individual you disagree with in order to deflect attention away from the argument. Later he pointed out you used ad hominem and you rejected that. I point out that's what you've done and you go into another ad hominem tirade against me.

You assume Cooper believes in a God, assume readers all know the Bible, and you arrogantly assume one needs to understand postmodernism and take an O.T. class.

Frankly it appears you have no argument against Copper's quotes.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gazelam wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:
Gazelam wrote:Those quotes are examples of the branchs of the vine being trimmed in order for the healthy parts to be able to grow.

A trimming of the vineyard.

Hmph. Is that what they're calling mass murder these days? "A trimming of the vineyard?" Interesting. I did not know that.

Your short sighted Schmo. This life is just a small moment in time. How important are your junior high school years to you in your memory?

If there is a group of people who are incapable of receiving the gospel and holding up the plans of God, then they are trimmed away that a righteous branch may grow.

There is no salvation in ignorance. The gospel must be taught and applied in order for the lessons to be learned and effect change in the people.

I'm short sighted? How short sighted is it to believe the balance of eternity is contingent on what happens in "this life [that] is just a small moment in time?"

And yes, I'm familiar with the justifications people endow their god with in order to rationalize his psychotic behavior. You realize the KKK has similar justifications?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.