Why do some christians get retarded when Atheists call BS?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

RenegadeOfPhunk wrote:
Plus, let's face it; the way he delivers his thoughts appeals to his true target audience: those who are already atheists, agnostics, and religious fence sitters. You can't blame the guy for delivering what sells.

Oh indeed. He knows how to write a book. Regardless of what I agreed, or disagreed with - he really does know how to build up an argument, and 'sell' an idea.
But I think you'd also agree with me that he truly does beleive in what he says. It's not all about the money...

Actually, having read that back, I almost regret saying it. I totally agree that for him, it's not just about the money.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

RenegadeOfPhunk wrote: Hmmmm - I'm feeling a tad guilty here, because I think I did this on the 'other' board.
But please beleive me - it had nothing to do with your sex!

It wasn't just you. :)

I had you down as an 'agnostic theist'. And I think the reason I did was because you used a few terms like 'I'm searching for God...', or something similar.

I am probably quite an anomaly when it comes to atheism/agnosticism. The burning of the bosom others speak of, the holy ghost or whatever they call it is something that has always been very real to me. I turn this off, and have done so for years... my question is should I? Is this God? What is this? It is no doubt my brain, but I can't say for certain what this "feeling" is. I don't believe God is part of my life... it doesn't mean that I don't wish that I had the assurance of a God. I don't feel scorn for believers, I actually envy them. They sense there is a greater plan and are comforted by a personal deity. I just can't make myself believe though.

In my mind, atheists don't search for that which they don't believe in. If new evidence is presented to them, then that's a different matter... (in my mind at least).

Well I'm not a strict atheist. I am an agnostic that doesn't believe in God but can't discount him, and actually have questions as to why I feel a certain way.

But anyway - just incase I gave any offense, apologies :)

You didn't.

And if you say that you are a non-theist, then that's what you are! (My opinion is irrelavent)
(...is there considered to be a difference between a non-theist and an atheist by the way? I would see them as two ways of saying the same thing. But I'm not sure how others see it. Is it just seen as a less 'extreme' term perhaps?)

No difference, I was using the terminology from another poster there.
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

barrelomonkeys wrote:I am probably quite an anomaly when it comes to atheism/agnosticism. The burning of the bosom others speak of, the holy ghost or whatever they call it is something that has always been very real to me. I turn this off, and have done so for years...

I know those kinds of feelings well. I don't think there's any need to 'turn them off'. I just see it as my humanity.
It's hard to see it as some indication of 'God' when I've had the feelings come to me so profoundly when considering the atheistic universe.

...unless of course God wants me to be an atheist...?
Well - at least it'd show he / she / it has a sense of humour :)

my question is should I? Is this God? What is this? It is no doubt my brain, but I can't say for certain what this "feeling" is. I don't believe God is part of my life... it doesn't mean that I don't wish that I had the assurance of a God.

There probably was a time where I felt similarly to you. But that's a a few years back now.
I once kinda related to the 'gap' you describe. But I don't feel a gap anymore... It wasn't a consious thing - I think I just realised one day that it simply wasn't there...

I don't feel scorn for believers, I actually envy them.

Again, I think I probably felt the same way once.
Well - the 'envy' bit I mean. I never have felt 'scorn' towards believers... (at least, it would take more than that...)

They sense there is a greater plan and are comforted by a personal deity. I just can't make myself believe though.

Actually, the idea of death being the 'great equaliser' is a great comfort to me.
Now - the 'fire and brimstone' hell thing? THAT'S a really scary idea of reality!!

You didn't.

Cool. Glad to hear it...!
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Mercury wrote:
GIMR wrote:
Mercury wrote:What's hilarious about your latest bitch session GIMR is that you keep claiming that reality is crawling up my ass when IN REALITY I am presenting a factual approach to perception of supposed "spiritual" matters vs the laughable "I'm hilding onto christianity no matter what the cost" approach from yourself. Your dodge in a typical wishy washy liberal christian matter and you use atheists as a scapegoat of your wishy washy fence sitting between progressive thought and christian thought. There is no between. You are rejected by mainstream christianity AND progressives, therefore your attack is expected. Its sad really.

Join us over on the rational thought camp. I think you would fit better over here since you reject almost everything from the fundamentalist camp. Or do you believe the earth to be 6000 years old, find evolution to be an atheist based attack on god and other ignorant white trash beliefs?

*Lead's Merc to the leather couch and hands him a tissue*

I charge $50 an hour. But I have my limits. You must eventually want to no longer be a retard.

GIMR, this got childish when you claimed I needed professional help. You continue to do so. I will not speculate on your mental state and I suggest you ask yourself why you believe I am unstable. Please give concise, medically worded responses. Since you started this little war I suggest you examine the thread and determine when you lost all credibility in this discussion. It is my view that when you spent 3-4 paragraphs hypothesizing on my mental state that you lost all respectability in this thread.

When you give an excuse for abusing someone within a certain demographic because of a bad experience you had with that demographic, in this case, Mormonism...that to me denotes a personal problem. When you tell someone that because you personally reject all religion that because THEY DO NOT that there is something wrong with their mind, to me that denotes a personal problem. When you go and tell someone that the only reason they believe in God is because they fear death (and I'm sorry, but that was the biggest insult for me, because you haven't been where I've been since 4-18-07), to me that denotes both some severe animosity and a personal problem. When you "joke" about Christian martyrs (killing is never funny) that to me denotes a personal problem.

Merc, you have an aggression issue that you are not dealing with. You can take your respect for me and shove it. I don't need respect from someone who thinks it is ok to be one half of the internet Harris and Klebold because he has problems with the LDS church. Join the club. At least some have dealt with their problems RESPONSIBLY.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

GIMR wrote:
Mercury wrote:GIMR, this got childish when you claimed I needed professional help. You continue to do so. I will not speculate on your mental state and I suggest you ask yourself why you believe I am unstable. Please give concise, medically worded responses. Since you started this little war I suggest you examine the thread and determine when you lost all credibility in this discussion. It is my view that when you spent 3-4 paragraphs hypothesizing on my mental state that you lost all respectability in this thread.

When you give an excuse for abusing someone within a certain demographic because of a bad experience you had with that demographic, in this case, Mormonism...that to me denotes a personal problem. When you tell someone that because you personally reject all religion that because THEY DO NOT that there is something wrong with their mind, to me that denotes a personal problem. When you go and tell someone that the only reason they believe in God is because they fear death (and I'm sorry, but that was the biggest insult for me, because you haven't been where I've been since 4-18-07), to me that denotes both some severe animosity and a personal problem. When you "joke" about Christian martyrs (killing is never funny) that to me denotes a personal problem.

Merc, you have an aggression issue that you are not dealing with. You can take your respect for me and shove it. I don't need respect from someone who thinks it is ok to be one half of the internet Harris and Klebold because he has problems with the LDS church. Join the club. At least some have dealt with their problems RESPONSIBLY.

Well well, what we have here is an inability to recognise a simple fact: Lions and tigers like to chew on christians and Romans like to watch.

I certainly would have had I been a Roman at the time.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

You have an inability to be socially responsible for yourself and your actions. I think that Dartagnan has described you correctly. And it is time to disengage with the meaningless chatter with the meaningless chattel.

Need any more cheese with that whine before I go? Or are you going to start another "rational" thread about how religion is evil?
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Oh, and I love your signature! I'm sure you feel so proud of yourself, little atheist martyr...

*grin*
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

GIMR wrote:Oh, and I love your signature! I'm sure you feel so proud of yourself, little atheist martyr...

*grin*

Hypocrisy is what it shows quite well. You hide behind your faith so you feel better about yourself. Not just you, every person who espouses a belief in a "higher power", liberal, conservative or middle of the road.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning