Why do some christians get retarded when Atheists call BS?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Why do some christians get retarded when Atheists call BS?

Post by _Mercury »

Its almost as if they are monkeys flinging poo, jumping all over the place demanding we should accept love as an analog to the construct of their imaginary friend, some male deity they call God. They get livid, their lips curl up and they snarl from the first mention that evidence is needed to establish a fact. Then they get pissy and moany, telling he atheist that deism is the only LOGICAL conclusion and that those who believe otherwise need therapy.

Then they start in with the "were an oppressed vast majority" nonsense. To the theist, the Atheist is irrational. I guess those who opposed racism in the segregated south were nonsensical too and in need of therapy for their "projection issues".

its funny how Christians react when presented with a call for evidence. What happened to the good old days in Rome when we could at least be entertained at the Colosseum? Ahh, those were the good old days.

As for you Mormons, don't worry. You are not christians.

If this message offended you, good.

Edited title of original post to help out the fence sitters ;)
Last edited by FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Merc, whyso frantic?

It is fairly staightforward to notice that God is not a fact but instead an hypothesis . It is an hypothesis people often feel committed enough to to call their holding to it faith. But faith is not knowledge. Atheisim is simple and straightforward enough. Sorry if not all of us feel that that is sufficient reason to hold to that view.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Then they get pissy and moany, telling he atheist that deism is the only LOGICAL conclusion and that those who believe otherwise need therapy.

Umm... Christians aren't usually deists. Might want to look that one up Merc.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Re: Why do christians get retarded when Atheists call BS?

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Mercury wrote:Its almost as if they are monkeys flinging poo, jumping all over the place demanding we should accept love as an analog to the construct of their imaginary friend, some male deity they call God. They get livid, their lips curl up and they snarl from the first mention that evidence is needed to establish a fact. Then they get pissy and moany, telling he atheist that deism is the only LOGICAL conclusion and that those who believe otherwise need therapy.

Then they start in with the "were an oppressed vast majority" nonsense. To the theist, the Atheist is irrational. I guess those who opposed racism in the segregated south were nonsensical too and in need of therapy for their "projection issues".

its funny how Christians react when presented with a call for evidence. What happened to the good old days in Rome when we could at least be entertained at the Colosseum? Ahh, those were the good old days.

I really wish you wouldn't speak for me. There are atheists/agnostics that do not feel the animosity toward Christians or other believers. I am not here to agree with you, or anyone else that people of faith are not intelligent and thoughtful. I do not ask those of faith for proof because that is ridiculous. Faith is the absence of proof, and if you haven't figured that out you're going to be on these boards a while I fear.
_christopher
_Emeritus

Re: Why do christians get retarded when Atheists call BS?

Post by _christopher »

Mercury wrote:Its almost as if they are monkeys flinging poo, jumping all over the place demanding we should accept love as an analog to the construct of their imaginary friend, some male deity they call God. They get livid, their lips curl up and they snarl from the first mention that evidence is needed to establish a fact. Then they get pissy and moany, telling he atheist that deism is the only LOGICAL conclusion and that those who believe otherwise need therapy.

I understand your rant, but don't lump all Christians together like this.

I still feel pretty comfortable calling myself a Christian, but confine it to faith and belief. The rabid, "inerrant Bible", condemnation "are you saved or going to hell" ones, I feel would be rather uncomfortable around the simple message of love your neighbor and love God. Just like the boys in Salt Lake City, the message is about controlling others, not about understanding the real point of life.

There are ass-clowns in any group of people.

Chris <><

(an un-offended Christian)
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

First of all, if your post here is a response to your exchanges with Dart/GIMR, you failed miserably in calling BS on Christians. When met with an alternate viewpoint, you simply threw your hands up, abandon your own thread and made this new one to bitch about it.

Its almost as if they are monkeys flinging poo, jumping all over the place demanding we should accept love as an analog to the construct of their imaginary friend, some male deity they call God. They get livid, their lips curl up and they snarl from the first mention that evidence is needed to establish a fact. Then they get pissy and moany, telling he atheist that deism is the only LOGICAL conclusion and that those who believe otherwise need therapy.

Christians aren't likely Deists. Having said that, regarding "monkeys flinging poo" have you bothered to read the posts that you yourself hammer out? You can't get through a couple of simple exchanges with someone who disagrees with you before you devolve into making sick remarks. In the above you make several descriptions of people you can't see. Why is that? Is that how you'd like to imagine them? As if your words had some impact on them? Strawman meet your creator, Mercury.

Since when is comparing Atheism to the Civil Rights movement a valid analogy? Huh? For s***sake, you spit on anyone who disagrees with you or attempts to engage you in thoughtful discussion. If you were the only example of an Atheist available to me, the very first descriptor that would come to mind is "irrational". Thank goodness you're not the only example that I have! I wonder though, if you might be the only example that some of the TBM's who post and lurk here have of an Atheist? If so, I pity you and your claimed objectives. What you generally post on this board fits every concept they have of the Adversary entrenched Apostate turned Atheist. Contrary to what you imagine, you aren't proving them wrong, you're proving every thing they've ever been taught....right. In other words, what you do here is counterproductive...it's ineffective....it fails.

What evidence would you like? About what? God? I've already challenged your remarks regarding "love". If you want forthright dialogue, I have yet to see you sustain it.

Yup. Everything you said here will send all Christians/TBM's running for the Atheist side of the road. And why? Because we want to be like you, Mercury.

Right.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Its almost as if they are monkeys flinging poo

I hope you receive concussion blasts and schrapnel from GIMR and other believers for this.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

And...

On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Merc is upset because he got caught making a blanket statement towards me about my clinging to God because I'm afraid of death. I replied to him and told him that in my personal situation that could come any day, and that is not why I believe in God. I then proceeded to let him know that abuse of believers because he was abused as a Mormon was not acceptable.

He can't handle it. Hence this thread.

We now continue with our regularly scheduled programming.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Then they get pissy and moany, telling he atheist that deism is the only LOGICAL conclusion and that those who believe otherwise need therapy.

Umm... Christians aren't usually deists. Might want to look that one up Merc.

Hehe....good point
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning