Why do some christians get retarded when Atheists call BS?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Mercury wrote:
Heres a book written by a famous scientist, you know, those people who use evidence based approaches to solving the worlds problems:

the state of mind one has togo into boggles the mind. More so religion it is a societal problem.

Surely you are aware that many religious people of the world, through charity, try to solve the world's problems as well?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Heres a book written by a famous scientist, you know, those people who use evidence based approaches to solving the worlds problems:

the state of mind one has togo into boggles the mind. More so religion it is a societal problem.

Surely you are aware that many religious people of the world, through charity, try to solve the world's problems as well?

I totally understand that. Though, lets talk specific impact.

Who saved more people? Those who developed vastly better strains of drought resistant wheat and rice or those who held a press conference, asked for donations, clapped and sang as they shimmied up to the collection box so they could pay a contractor to airdrop some MRE's in impoverished Whereveristan?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Oh! I can't believe I didn't add Blixa to the list of female non-theists!

Who saved more people? Those who developed vastly better strains of drought resistant wheat and rice or those who held a press conference, asked for donations, clapped and sang as they shimmied up to the collection box so they could pay a contractor to airdrop some MRE's in impoverished Whereveristan?

Mercury, why the competition? I know that I've been fed by soup kitchens and Hare Krishnas when I lived on the streets. I know when I was pregnant with my first daughter and was destitute a Memphis Baptist Church gave me groceries for months and even drove me to my dr. appointments.

I help a local Church deliver meals to the elderly in my community. I've been with my parents as they take food to those that are in need. I've accompanied my father as he visits the illegal immigrant family (the father died a few years ago) that he "adopted" and helps to support.

There are good people, religious and not, that help others in need. Why does that make you uncomfortable? There are good people that live their religion. I've met them, I know them... I volunteer with them.

Are you so filled with hate that you can't see that there are good people in and out of faith? Mercury, surely you must see that your hateful comments don't make you any better than those you decry. If the problem is with religion and religious people in the world how are you an example of what is better? To me you are not.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

GIMR wrote:Merc is upset because he got caught making a blanket statement towards me about my clinging to God because I'm afraid of death. I replied to him and told him that in my personal situation that could come any day, and that is not why I believe in God. I then proceeded to let him know that abuse of believers because he was abused as a Mormon was not acceptable.

He can't handle it. Hence this thread.

We now continue with our regularly scheduled programming.

Wow, that's totally not what I was thinking. Who would use their current state of health in order to score cheap points?

Oh, that's right...you. You were the one who brought it up first. Now who's projecting?

This is getting so worn out.
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Hi. I'm a non-theist on this board as well. My name is barrelomonkeys. I would add beastie to that list as well.

I know it's hard to remember us because we're not men.

Again, ouch.

I swear I didn't leave off females out from sexism. I think I just listed people I find the most in common with. Tarski loves math as I do. Renegade does the computer thing as I do. Coffee has mischevious humor humor I find similar to my own. Sethbag does too. The Dude is quite different but we've argued together on evolution threads.

Furthermore I wasn't sure with some of the females: Blixa, and you. I think I knew Beastie wasn't, but I wasn't so sure there either.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Why do some christians get retarded when Atheists call B

Post by _Jason Bourne »

ts almost as if they are monkeys flinging poo, jumping all over the place demanding we should accept love as an analog to the construct of their imaginary friend, some male deity they call God. They get livid, their lips curl up and they snarl from the first mention that evidence is needed to establish a fact. Then they get pissy and moany, telling he atheist that deism is the only LOGICAL conclusion and that those who believe otherwise need therapy.

Then they start in with the "were an oppressed vast majority" nonsense. To the theist, the Atheist is irrational. I guess those who opposed racism in the segregated south were nonsensical too and in need of therapy for their "projection issues".

its funny how Christians react when presented with a call for evidence. What happened to the good old days in Rome when we could at least be entertained at the Colosseum? Ahh, those were the good old days.

As for you Mormons, don't worry. You are not christians.

If this message offended you, good.

Edited title of original post to help out the fence sitters ;)

First, historical Christians do not believe is God that is male or any sex, but in an omipresent spirit being. LDS do believe God is an exalted man.

Next, when athiests sneer, like you do, and call God an imaginary friend, rational discussion is not fostered.

Next, I have no problem with athiests claiming little hard evidence, if any, for God and I do not think God can be proven or not proven. Certainly a belief in God is rooted in faith and those with eyes of faith do so God's evidenced in many things. However, I cannot argue that as hard proof.

Lastly, I see not only would you have been happy to murder Joseph Smith, but you would also enjoy the murder of Christians. Sad indeed.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

I think Merc just needs to go by the url www.sh*tonamormon.com, set up his own website, and continue his virtual hate crimes there. Just my personal belief.

Cheap therapy and all.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

RenegadeOfPhunk wrote:
GIMR wrote:There is nothing wrong with not believing in God, there is something wrong with thinking that those who do are mental, and most definitely vice versa. I have no problem with constructing new anuses on religionists who like to persecute those who choose not to participate in theism.

Well, you can get one clear 'Amen' from an atheist on that! :)
I think you've handled yourself admirably GIMR. My hat (that I'm not actually wearing) goes off to you.

I kinda get the impression that Mercury probably is justifed in his 'attitude' to an extent. I just think he's taking it out on the wrong targets. Targets that don't deserve it. At all. (Just my opinion mind. There's probably a history here that I'm ignorant to...)
I mean, to maybe get some insight into what might motive such resentment - 'God' knows that some theists just drive me up the wall. With constant insinuations that I can't be moral without a belief in God. That I'm just as likely to murder someone as give them the time of day. That the religious are de facto more moral than the non-religious.
And it doesn't seem to matter what argument you put forward. It won't matter. The desision has already been made...
And that kind of attitude DOES breed resentment. Also, it can cause some to say 'Well, if your saying I am simply obliged to act up, then hey - watch this...!'

I mean, it was only back in the 80's that Bush Sr. made that utterly shocking and deeply moronic comment about atheists and citizenship. I doubt any respectable politician would ever get away with making such a statement today - so I'm sure that indicates things are moving in the right direction, but still. I think that kind of sentiment is still VERY strong - especially in the US. I get the impression that the term 'Atheist' is still very much a dirty word for many.

I do think I have a bit more luck in this specific regard, living in Britian. It seems pretty clear to me that it's much easier to be an atheist here - generally. If I were to live in the US, then who knows. Maybe I'd be far more bitter and lash out more. Maybe, maybe not...

But anyway, not that any of this is meant to justify anything. I just think it's important to perhaps try and see where the underlying issues might be really at. I may not be on the mark at all, but some stuff to think about anyway.
Besides, I don't think someone like GIMR needs any defense from me. Looks like she's more than capable of kicking arse all by herself ;)

Hey renegade,

Like the avatar. in my opinion, the US is so screwed in many regards. We're so hypocritical in our puritannical nature, yet we have videosluts on TV. We want our kids to wait to have sex, yet we have enzyte commercials. C'mon. Fundamentalist religionists are just on the other side of the spectrum that Merc is hanging from, and it's so funny that he can't see that. They're no better. I like to eat them for lunch, too. They're kind of salty, he's more crunchy, must be all that dried bull...

The Bush clan is an escaped experiment from area 54. The government is trying to keep it a secret, and the only way to do that is to pretend it never happened, let them run wild, and monitor them as closely as possible. The White House is actually a high security playpen.

I honestly think that it's a cop out to play up to someone's low expectations of you. I'm black and female, does that mean I need to have three kids, no, four since I'm 26? My family actually thinks so. At least mom's side, they're pissed that I'm a professional, working and going to school. Merc has no excuse. He just hasn't done the soul searching it takes to see life outside of Mormondom, it's too scary. What it is, is that deep inside he wishes that he could blink and the world would revert to some magic place where everything Joseph Smith said was really true so he wouldn't be going through what he's going through. But since reality is creeping up his anus, he's going to be a b*tch about it. So we pour lye on the wound and laugh.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Oh! I can't believe I didn't add Blixa to the list of female non-theists!

Mercury, why the competition? I know that I've been fed by soup kitchens and Hare Krishnas when I lived on the streets. I know when I was pregnant with my first daughter and was destitute a Memphis Baptist Church gave me groceries for months and even drove me to my dr. appointments.

I help a local Church deliver meals to the elderly in my community. I've been with my parents as they take food to those that are in need. I've accompanied my father as he visits the illegal immigrant family (the father died a few years ago) that he "adopted" and helps to support.

There are good people, religious and not, that help others in need. Why does that make you uncomfortable? There are good people that live their religion. I've met them, I know them... I volunteer with them.

Are you so filled with hate that you can't see that there are good people in and out of faith? Mercury, surely you must see that your hateful comments don't make you any better than those you decry. If the problem is with religion and religious people in the world how are you an example of what is better? To me you are not.

Merc doesn't understand that abusing religion just because religion abused him doesn't make him a man. It isn't attractive, it doesn't look good. It's funny and pathetic. Who will he turn on next?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

GIMR wrote:I think Merc just needs to go by the url www.sh*tonamormon.com, set up his own website, and continue his virtual hate crimes there. Just my personal belief.

Cheap therapy and all.

WHat, if any of my actions constitute hate crimes?
Lost in time