Why do some christians get retarded when Atheists call BS?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Mercury wrote:
GIMR wrote:I think Merc just needs to go by the url www.sh*tonamormon.com, set up his own website, and continue his virtual hate crimes there. Just my personal belief.

Cheap therapy and all.

WHat, if any of my actions constitute hate crimes?

Hate speech. You think it's funny to talk about Christians being killed for being Christian. You are such a f*ckup, Merc. I can't even believe I once held respect for you.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

GIMR wrote:
Mercury wrote:
GIMR wrote:I think Merc just needs to go by the url www.sh*tonamormon.com, set up his own website, and continue his virtual hate crimes there. Just my personal belief.

Cheap therapy and all.

WHat, if any of my actions constitute hate crimes?

Hate speech. You think it's funny to talk about Christians being killed for being Christian. You are such a f*ckup, Merc. I can't even believe I once held respect for you.

Well then that's yet another mistake of your skewed perception. I'm kicking myself for holding a modicum of respect for you.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

What's hilarious about your latest bitch session GIMR is that you keep claiming that reality is crawling up my ass when IN REALITY I am presenting a factual approach to perception of supposed "spiritual" matters vs the laughable "im hilding onto christianity no matter what the cost" approach from yourself. Your dodge in a typical wishy washy liberal christian matter and you use atheists as a scapegoat of your wishy washy fence sitting between progressive thought and christian thought. There is no between. You are rejected by mainstream christianity AND progressives, therefore your attack is expected. Its sad really.

Join us over on the rational thought camp. I think you would fit better over here since you reject almost everything from the fundamentalist camp. Or do you believe the earth to be 6000 years old, find evolution to be an atheist based attack on god and other ignorant white trash beliefs?
Lost in time
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

asbestosman wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:Hi. I'm a non-theist on this board as well. My name is barrelomonkeys. I would add beastie to that list as well.

I know it's hard to remember us because we're not men.

Again, ouch.

I swear I didn't leave off females out from sexism. I think I just listed people I find the most in common with. Tarski loves math as I do. Renegade does the computer thing as I do. Coffee has mischevious humor humor I find similar to my own. Sethbag does too. The Dude is quite different but we've argued together on evolution threads.

Furthermore I wasn't sure with some of the females: Blixa, and you. I think I knew Beastie wasn't, but I wasn't so sure there either.

It's okay. I've actually encountered quite a few men that assume I'm a man because I'm a skeptic. Others try to argue with me as if I'm a theist when they're aware I'm a female and don't quite understand that I can be a female and a skeptic. There are those that I've told I'm an agnostic and still reply to me as if I'm a believer. It's actually quite odd.
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

GIMR wrote:The Bush clan is an escaped experiment from area 54. The government is trying to keep it a secret, and the only way to do that is to pretend it never happened, let them run wild, and monitor them as closely as possible. The White House is actually a high security playpen.

Heh - I cannot help but agree.
But don't get me wrong. I actually really respect the US. Well - at least, I really respect the 'idea' of the US. What it was 'meant' to be founded on.
...how it's worked out practically is a different matter in some ways...!

I like to eat them for lunch, too. They're kind of salty, he's more crunchy, must be all that dried bull...

Nice! :)
...I get what ya mean. And I totally agree.
I also really dislike Dawkins' campain against 'moderate' religion. (Of course I'm fine with him attacking extremism...) I think he's missing the target there - and only making things worse...
It's a shame, because otherwise he articulates atheist thought very well...

barrelomonkeys wrote:Others try to argue with me as if I'm a theist when they're aware I'm a female and don't quite understand that I can be a female and a skeptic. There are those that I've told I'm an agnostic and still reply to me as if I'm a believer. It's actually quite odd.

Hmmmm - I'm feeling a tad guilty here, because I think I did this on the 'other' board.
But please beleive me - it had nothing to do with your sex!

I had you down as an 'agnostic theist'. And I think the reason I did was because you used a few terms like 'I'm searching for God...', or something similar.

In my mind, atheists don't search for that which they don't believe in. If new evidence is presented to them, then that's a different matter... (in my mind at least).

But anyway - just incase I gave any offense, apologies :)
And if you say that you are a non-theist, then that's what you are! (My opinion is irrelavent)
(...is there considered to be a difference between a non-theist and an atheist by the way? I would see them as two ways of saying the same thing. But I'm not sure how others see it. Is it just seen as a less 'extreme' term perhaps?)
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Mercury wrote:What's hilarious about your latest bitch session GIMR is that you keep claiming that reality is crawling up my ass when IN REALITY I am presenting a factual approach to perception of supposed "spiritual" matters vs the laughable "I'm hilding onto christianity no matter what the cost" approach from yourself. Your dodge in a typical wishy washy liberal christian matter and you use atheists as a scapegoat of your wishy washy fence sitting between progressive thought and christian thought. There is no between. You are rejected by mainstream christianity AND progressives, therefore your attack is expected. Its sad really.

Join us over on the rational thought camp. I think you would fit better over here since you reject almost everything from the fundamentalist camp. Or do you believe the earth to be 6000 years old, find evolution to be an atheist based attack on god and other ignorant white trash beliefs?

*Lead's Merc to the leather couch and hands him a tissue*

I charge $50 an hour. But I have my limits. You must eventually want to no longer be a retard.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

That's right, I'm a non-believer. Its also pretty much a non-issue for me; what I mean is, I've held this position for so long, and so naturally, that I didn't go through any emotional turmoil or intellectual struggle to acheive it. I've never bothered to read any of the "standard texts" on/of athiesm, other than a Bertrand Russell essay when I was in high school. I saw Dawkins on the Cobert Report once. Haven't read him or any of the other current writers often mentioned in these threads because it seems unnecessary to me.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

GIMR wrote:
Mercury wrote:What's hilarious about your latest bitch session GIMR is that you keep claiming that reality is crawling up my ass when IN REALITY I am presenting a factual approach to perception of supposed "spiritual" matters vs the laughable "I'm hilding onto christianity no matter what the cost" approach from yourself. Your dodge in a typical wishy washy liberal christian matter and you use atheists as a scapegoat of your wishy washy fence sitting between progressive thought and christian thought. There is no between. You are rejected by mainstream christianity AND progressives, therefore your attack is expected. Its sad really.

*Lead's Merc to the leather couch and hands him a tissue*

I charge $50 an hour. But I have my limits. You must eventually want to no longer be a retard.

GIMR, this got childish when you claimed I needed professional help. You continue to do so. I will not speculate on your mental state and I suggest you ask yourself why you believe I am unstable. Please give concise, medically worded responses. Since you started this little war I suggest you examine the thread and determine when you lost all credibility in this discussion. It is my view that when you spent 3-4 paragraphs hypothesizing on my mental state that you lost all respectability in this thread.
Lost in time
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

RenegadeOfPhunk wrote: I also really dislike Dawkins' campain against 'moderate' religion. (Of course I'm fine with him attacking extremism...) I think he's missing the target there - and only making things worse...
It's a shame, because otherwise he articulates atheist thought very well...

I think his 'attack' on moderate religion is well-intentioned and for good reason, but I agree that it's likely not very effective. I think I understand why he goes about it the way he does: mostly because he doesn't believe religion deserves any respect whatsoever.

Plus, let's face it; the way he delivers his thoughts appeals to his true target audience: those who are already atheists, agnostics, and religious fence sitters. You can't blame the guy for delivering what sells.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

Some Schmo wrote:I think his 'attack' on moderate religion is well-intentioned and for good reason

Oh -I definately think he has the best intentions. No doubt there. He truly beleives what he's doing is right. And a lot of it I agree with.
What I'm fully behind is his 'right' to say whatever the hell he wants about religion. Religions have been having their say about non-believers for 1000's of years now. It's about time the shoe was firmly on the other foot... (In truth, it has been for a while, but flat-out atheism is still, even today, seen as 'extreme' in some way...)

But 'for good reason'? I'm not so sure. I generally find his understanding of religion to be a little 2-dimensional to be honest. He got out of religion pretty early and pretty painlessly - from what I understand.

And I'm often a bit taken back by his apparent ignorance as to how people can sometimes react to 'converting' to atheism.
He often times seems - even now - totally surprised when atheists talk about being 'angry' when they realise that they've been 'duped' for so many years. When they end up having difficulty with family and friends. In relationships etc. He almost seems like he 'doesn't get it'.
...which I'm amazed by.

I personally think it's an attitude derived from a less religious surrounding in general. I think he has a pretty good 'intellectual' understanding of religion. But not a very personal one.

I think I understand why he goes about it the way he does: mostly because he doesn't believe religion deserves any respect whatsoever.

I don't particularly think religion deserves respect.
I think people do though.

Plus, let's face it; the way he delivers his thoughts appeals to his true target audience: those who are already atheists, agnostics, and religious fence sitters. You can't blame the guy for delivering what sells.

Oh indeed. He knows how to write a book. Regardless of what I agreed, or disagreed with - he really does know how to build up an argument, and 'sell' an idea.
But I think you'd also agree with me that he truly does beleive in what he says. It's not all about the money...
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.