A different angle: Validity of mainstream Mormons

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

A different angle: Validity of mainstream Mormons

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

While watching Lifting the Veil of Polygamy I had a thought.

Perhaps our discussions and arguments with the defenders here are focusing on the wrong point in the timeline of Mormonism.

We need to stop arguing about everything prior to the 1890 manifesto.

Should we not be focusing on whether the mainstream LDS church is in apostasy first?

Should we not be dissecting the statements of Wilford Woodruff to determine if he was wrong?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

I think it would be more advisable to ask God if Wilford Woodruff was wrong. Otherwise by what standard do you judge apostasy?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

The Nehor wrote:I think it would be more advisable to ask God if Wilford Woodruff was wrong. Otherwise by what standard do you judge apostasy?
I see where this is headed.

So then with that, if one feels that god tells them that polygamy, like Smith, Young, et al. taught, is divine, would you advise them to follow that feeling?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
The Nehor wrote:I think it would be more advisable to ask God if Wilford Woodruff was wrong. Otherwise by what standard do you judge apostasy?

So then with that, if one feels that god tells them that polygamy, like Smith, Young, et al. taught, is divine, would you advise them to follow that premonition?

If you're sure it's God telling you, then yes.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

The Nehor wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:

So then with that, if one feels that god tells them that polygamy, like Smith, Young, et al. taught, is divine, would you advise them to follow that premonition?

If you're sure it's God telling you, then yes.
You make no sense as a Mormon. All other are wrong. Sure, they are free to make that "wrong" choice, but according to Mormon theology, bottom line, non mainstream-mormons, all other faiths , are wrong.

Why would god tell someone to follow a lie?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: A different angle: Validity of mainstream Mormons

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Polygamy Porter wrote:While watching Lifting the Veil of Polygamy I had a thought.

Perhaps our discussions and arguments with the defenders here are focusing on the wrong point in the timeline of Mormonism.

Should we not be focusing on whether the mainstream LDS church is in apostasy first?

Should we not be dissecting the statements of Wilford Woodruff to determine if he was wrong?

You know what, Porter? I think it was harmony who asked here once if the church wasn't in a state of current apostasy. Very cool question! Thanks for bringing it up!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:While watching Lifting the Veil of Polygamy I had a thought.

You know what, Porter? I think it was harmony who asked here once if the church wasn't in a state of current apostasy. Very cool question! Thanks for bringing it up!
You are too kind ;)

I just thought that perhaps we should decide whether Wilford Woodruff was wrong before we decide if the common doctrines of the two organizations are divine.

Is it not contradictory to say "god is the same today, yesterday, and forever" but then brag that "modern revelation" allows the doctrines of god to change?
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

That asking God thing apparently leads some people to one conclusion and others to another. Not a method with a good track record.
Don't FLDS ask God too?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

You are too kind ;)

I just thought that perhaps we should decide whether Wilford Woodruff was wrong before we decide if the common doctrines of the two organizations are divine.

Is it not contradictory to say "god is the same today, yesterday, and forever" but then brag that "modern revelation" allows the doctrines of god to change?

You did! You thought! Love it! Is that a WW quote there? I hate to tell you, EV's use the exact same phrase. Why would God change his mind? Doesn't God know what God thinks the first time around?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Tarski wrote:

That asking God thing apparently leads some people to one conclusion and others to another. Not a method with a good track record.
Don't FLDS ask God too?
*internet crickets chirping in the direction of Nehor*