A different angle: Validity of mainstream Mormons

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

So what's the deal on the "same" never-changing God? If God keeps moving the line, how do you know where to stand or what to stand for?

Are Blacks worthy to hold the Priesthood or not? Is the Curse of Cain doctrine still intact? Were Blacks less valiant in the preexistence or not? Does the preexistence still exist? If so, are today's preexisting Blacks now more valiant?

Stuff like that...

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Re: A different angle: Validity of mainstream Mormons

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:You are too kind ;)

I just thought that perhaps we should decide whether Wilford Woodruff was wrong before we decide if the common doctrines of the two organizations are divine.

Is it not contradictory to say "god is the same today, yesterday, and forever" but then brag that "modern revelation" allows the doctrines of god to change?

You did! You thought! Love it! Is that a WW quote there? I hate to tell you, EV's use the exact same phrase. Why would God change his mind? Doesn't God know what God thinks the first time around?
Watching the polyg flick I mentioned, I suddenly realized that the presentation of Jesus and God within Mormon theology was very sterile and almost like a product.

As much as I think that all religion is bunk, I do see the majority of nonmormon Christians being much more absorbed in the Christian theology, much more than what I see and saw in Mormons members in general. Actions of the Christians do speak louder than the words of Mormon members.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

OOOOweeee! PP's got his thinkin' cap on!

Watching the polyg flick I mentioned, I suddenly realized that the presentation of Jesus and God within Mormon theology was very sterile and almost like a product.

As much as I think that all religion is bunk, I do see the majority of nonmormon Christians being much more absorbed in the Christian theology, much more than what I see and saw in Mormons members in general. Actions of the Christians do speak louder than the words of Mormon members.

Do you think (he does!) that's because to non-Mormon Christians, God truly doesn't change the core doctrines? Why do you think the Mormon Jesus/ God is sterile and like a product?
Chinese Proverb
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:So what's the deal on the "same" never-changing God? If God keeps moving the line, how do you know where to stand or what to stand for?
According to Nehor and other defenders here, we are expected to pray about these changes. However, if the "answer" falls outside of the mormon-socially expected norm, then you must have prayed wrong.

Additionally, things that past Mormon prophets pronounced during the time as prophet were received as divine by the members of that day, yet today since they do not fit within the nevermo social norms, they are relegated to mere personal opinions of that past prophet.

This is not so within the FLDS.

Jersey Girl wrote:Are Blacks worthy to hold the Priesthood or not? Is the Curse of Cain doctrine still intact? Were Blacks less valiant in the preexistence or not? Does the preexistence still exist? If so, are today's preexisting Blacks now more valiant?
Young said the blacks would never receive it until all others had received it. Again, the FLDS adhere to the prophetic statements of the early leaders of LDS.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Going out on a limb here, probably going to offend some folks but....

Do you think that there is a difference in the way you see Christians "wear" their beliefs than Mormons because due to the Kingdom levels there is a natural sort of competition embedded in Mormonism that puts folks at odds with eachother?
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chinese Proverb
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:OOOOweeee! PP's got his thinkin' cap on!

Do you think (he does!) that's because to non-Mormon Christians, God truly doesn't change the core doctrines? Why do you think the Mormon Jesus/ God is sterile and like a product?
Watch any "testimony" of any apostle, especially Bednar.. that guy is a friggin Jesus/God vacuum salesman.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:Going out on a limb here, probably going to offend some folks (yes I know you're reading here, buddy) but....
I not only have a thick skull, but thick skin to cover that thick skull, so offend away!

Do you think that there is a difference in the way you see Christians "wear" their beliefs than Mormons because due to the Kingdom levels there is a natural sort of competition embedded in Mormonism that puts folks at odds with eachother?
Christians have only one thing to carry. The simple principles of christ, almost like just wearing a necklace, with or without a crucifix/cross.

Mormons on the other hand with all of the other required doctrines are like an over-packed hitchhiker. They have a backpack, and a fanny pack, and a bag in each hand.... They pride themselves with the amount of burden that they carry and look for others who have less. The necklace wearing Christians are easy pickins. The pity those with less and feel that they are spiritually superior to them. I called it spiritual elitism.

One of the biggest outward signs of devotion to Mormonism among the members is whether they are wearing their temple garmies. Mormons are always looking for signs of this devotion. If a member is seen in public with clothing that is not garment compliant, it is a sure sign that they are not wearing the coveted magic undies. If the person seeing this is a hardcore garment wearer, they then feel better than that person.

Years ago, the bishop of our ward stood up in the monthly combined RS/Priesthood meeting and told the members that they must not hike their bottom garment legs up so that they can wear shorter shorts. He also said that SLC HQ had told him that many members were buying bottom garments designed for people with short legs. This would result in bottom garments that were only as long as mid-thigh instead of the required length of just above the kneecap. He cautioned against this practice and called it lying to the lord.

When Mormon men wear a white shirt you can see what they call the "celestial smile" from the low neck line of the top garment.

Tank tops for both men and women are not garment compliant as you would see the full tshirt length sleeves of the male tops and the "cap"(shorter) sleeves of the female tops.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I was talking about offending someone who I know lurks here and often reads my posts. Well, I'm done worrying about that...

What you describe is what I've come to think of as The Great Score Card and people can tell what your "score" is by just looking at you, as you say garment lines and stuff. That in and of itself, sets people up for resentment, suspicion, GOSSIP, feelings of superiority and inferiority.

I'll never forget the remark by one of my LDS female friends when she said "Sometimes I sit there and look around and think I hate them all".

This is an LDS wife married to a never-Mo husband and you can imagine why she felt like she hated the folks in her Ward.

Porter, this is the BEST thread you ever started! I'm gonna buy myself something off Ebay just to celebrate!

Jersey Girl
:-)
Chinese Proverb
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:Porter, this is the BEST thread you ever started! I'm gonna buy myself something off Ebay just to celebrate!

Jersey Girl
:-)

Wear it on your sleeve, or chest !
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Hey Jersey, I know you asked PP the question about LDS and Christians... but I'd like to answer too. As an outsider the LDS religion seems very, very, very complicated. I find that non-LDS Christians are simpler in their beliefs and I tend to like simpler things when it comes to religiosity.

I like the core principles of pretty much all of the world's religions. As someone reading and trying to understand LDS I can't say I understand the core principles of LDS. If it was merely just to follow Christ then I could say I understood somewhat... but it seems as if there is so much more required of a member than just Christ. But I may be wrong.