How do temple TBMs feel about the new barcoded recommends?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_neworder
_Emeritus

Post by _neworder »

Dr. Shades wrote:Okay, how many here think this was instituted SPECIFICALLY because of Mike Norton?

_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

This thread just reminded me. My temple recommend expires in 7 days (i got it 2 years ago in the midst of my starting to question the church).

Lol, it's still in my wallet.

Even so, you couldn't pay me to go through the temple again. I have no earthly idea why any non-mormon would want to go. It's all on the internet now anyways.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Yeah, my recommend expired, presumably for the last time ever, a year ago or so, after its two-year duration.

Abman: I highly doubt God would withhold blessings from the church for not demonstrating that they were willing to go to the extremes in providing security for temple recommends. So, will you get the blessings if you put on the barcodes, but don't surround the temple with an electric fence? If you put in the fence, but don't put in the moat with lava, will that be enough to get the blessings?

To be honest, I think that if there actually nomos out there who have this hankering to get into an LDS temple to see what it's all about, they will probably give themselves away when they burst out laughing at how hokey it all is. The true believers don't recognize the hokeyness because they've been fed a load of crap about how fantastic the temple is for years before they actually get to go in. When I went in, I seriously thought there was a good possibility I'd see God or Jesus, or my dead ancestors would reveal themselves and show me how proud they were that I was there, or something like that. I also had read some anti-mormon stuff that said Mormons have sex on the altar in the temple, and while I didn't believe that was true, since it's all so secret, how could I be sure? So really, it could have been anything from bizarre sexual rites on the altar to seeing Jesus Christ or my dead great grandpa. Interestingly though, when I went through (in 1988) all I got was some hokey handshakes and a lesson in how to simulate my own death, as a way of reinforcing in me the cosmic importance of it all. I didn't really know what to think. Half of me wanted to be really disappointed, but the other half of me had faith that it really was cool after all, and someday, after I'd been enough times, and was righteous enough, I would "get it".

But to a nevermo, they could perhaps dispell some rumors they'd head, like the sex acts on the altar and whatnot, but all the tokens of the priesthood stuff would just come across as hokey, I think. With no expectation that there was any more to it than they were seeing for themselves, I think most people would just laugh.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Mercury wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
I feel it's a good thing because of jackasses like this.
What is wrong with wanting to experience the temple the same way the members first did at the opening of the Kirtland temple? I would fast for a day or so, then drink 5-6 shots of hard liquor just like what was recorded about Kirtland. Perhaps I will have visions like they did?

I find it more depressing that you're consorting with a thief who stole recommends and wanting to enter a non-public building fraudulently for kicks. That would be....oh yeah, criminal. What are you? 14?

So newhore (sorry, ill only use this pet name sparingly), whats your opinion of the kirtland temple experience of fasting followed by gutbusting intoxication?

Can you really document this fallcious claim of intoxication? I doubt it.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Dr. Shades wrote:Okay, how many here think this was instituted SPECIFICALLY because of Mike Norton?

Hardly
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Sethbag wrote:Abman, you make it sound as if you're trying to protect Fort Knox or something.

It's the temple. People go in there and put on funny clothes and learn some secret, farcical handshakes while watching a simplistic, farcical and utterly false mini-history of the founding parents of homo sapiens on Earth. That's it. Going to the greatest lengths possible to prevent some evildoer like Mike Norton from seeing the funny clothes, secret handshakes, and watching the farcical Adam and Eve mythology movie is worth it how?

I guess the more security you heap on top of the whole process, the more "special" you can make people feel something like this is. Oh well. While I do recognize that TBMs will be offended by the idea of an exmo like PP sneaking into the temple, how much effort is it worth going to in order to make sure it never, ever happens?

And yeah, whatever happened to the spirit of discernment?

And now, for the $64 question once again:

How would this situation be any different if there really weren't any such thing as a power of Discernment?
Sethbag, your review of the temple ceremony was superb!
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Jason Bourne wrote:
Mercury wrote:So newhore (sorry, ill only use this pet name sparingly), whats your opinion of the kirtland temple experience of fasting followed by gutbusting intoxication?

I believe Bushman talks about it in RSR. (although it's been almost a year since i read it, so I may be mixing it up with something else).
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Who Knows wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
Mercury wrote:So newhore (sorry, ill only use this pet name sparingly), whats your opinion of the kirtland temple experience of fasting followed by gutbusting intoxication?

I believe Bushman talks about it in RSR. (although it's been almost a year since I read it, so I may be mixing it up with something else).

I read Bushman but do not recall this. I may look at it again if I get the time tonight.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Sethbag wrote:Abman: I highly doubt God would withhold blessings from the church for not demonstrating that they were willing to go to the extremes in providing security for temple recommends. So, will you get the blessings if you put on the barcodes, but don't surround the temple with an electric fence? If you put in the fence, but don't put in the moat with lava, will that be enough to get the blessings?

You highly doubt God exists much less would withold blessings. The early saints were allowed to do baptisms for the dead in rivers, but God stopped permitting that because they needed to take temple building more seriously.

Electric fences and moats are extreme (as you intended, I know). A barcode is an easy addition especially because--as I mentioned previously--the church already has a computer system in place at temples for recording ordinance work.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO