How do temple TBMs feel about the new barcoded recommends?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

How do temple TBMs feel about the new barcoded recommends?

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

I heard that LDS Inc is finally putting barcodes on the temple recommends and that all of them will be scanned at the door.

I am sure they say it is to ensure that only worthy members with VALID recommends get in, but I am curious if members are now worried because the leadership will now have an EXACT count of the number of times that members attend.

Bishop: "Brother Jones, I noticed the last time you made it to the temple with your wife was Februrary 23 at 7:12 pm... is there anything I can do to help you and sister Jones get to the house of the lord?"
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: How do temple TBMs feel about the new barcoded recommend

Post by _Mercury »

Polygamy Porter wrote:I heard that LDS Inc is finally putting barcodes on the temple recommends and that all of them will be scanned at the door.

I am sure they say it is to ensure that only worthy members with VALID recommends get in, but I am curious if members are now worried because the leadership will now have an EXACT count of the number of times that members attend.

Bishop: "Brother Jones, I noticed the last time you made it to the temple with your wife was Februrary 23 at 7:12 pm... is there anything I can do to help you and sister Jones get to the house of the lord?"

Looks like they will be pushing an update into the MLS software.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Why don't they just skip the pretense and start inserting computer chips into people's arms? At the very least it'll rile up those "Mark of the Beast" people.

I wonder if these new recommends will double as Debit cards so that members can get caught up on their tithing on the spot?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

If this is true, I guess I will have to abandon my hope of one final visit to the masonic Mormon theater of pain...

I have a friend who has blank recommends and could get me in... we were planning on one last hurrah this fall while filled with the spirits of Captain Morgan...

*sigh*
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Bond...James Bond wrote:Why don't they just skip the pretense and start inserting computer chips into people's arms? At the very least it'll rile up those "Mark of the Beast" people.

I wonder if these new recommends will double as Debit cards so that members can get caught up on their tithing on the spot?
LOL!! Just like late fees at Hollywood video...

Old man at the temple desk: "Brudder Jones, while your recommend is current, we have noticed that your account shows that you are behind on your tithes to the lord... Would you like to come clean before entering the house of the lord?"
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:I wonder if these new recommends will double as Debit cards so that members can get caught up on their tithing on the spot?

Old man at the temple desk: "Brudder Jones, while your recommend is current, we have noticed that your account shows that you are behind on your tithes to the lord... Would you like to come clean before entering the house of the lord?"

(In the voice of Bill Lumburgh from Office Space)

Old man: "Yeah Brother Jones, we show in our records that you have paid $4.11 less in tithing than you did last year......no we don't accept Visa or Mastercard......no we don't except cash either. Yeah we only accept transactions for the new Latter-Debit Saint Card.....Yeah it costs 40$ to sign up for the card......ooohhh......it's going to cost you $100 dollars to express sign up for it today, and I'm going to need you to come in tomorrow and pick it up when you finish these TPS forms. Yeah, you're not going to be able to go through the Temple today."
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:I wonder if these new recommends will double as Debit cards so that members can get caught up on their tithing on the spot?

(In the voice of Bill Lumburgh from Office Space)

Old man: "Yeah Brother Jones, we show in our records that you have paid $4.11 less in tithing than you did last year......no we don't accept Visa or Mastercard......no we don't except cash either. Yeah we only accept transactions for the new Latter-Debit Saint Card.....Yeah it costs 40$ to sign up for the card......ooohhh......it's going to cost you $100 dollars to express sign up for it today, and I'm going to need you to come in tomorrow and pick it up when you finish these TPS forms. Yeah, you're not going to be able to go through the Temple today."
Edit to add:

Halfway through that, the old man pauses with a slight grimace on his face looking a mile down the hall as he fills his Depends adult under pants with the Denny's breakfast he had that morning...
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Here's yer sign (of the..)

Post by _Inconceivable »

Why the transitional period with a card? Just imprint it on their foreheads and be done with it.

(oop, Bond, you stole my thunder)
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: How do temple TBMs feel about the new barcoded recommend

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Polygamy Porter wrote:I heard that LDS Inc is finally putting barcodes on the temple recommends and that all of them will be scanned at the door.

The TR used to have a magnetic stripped that you swiped when you finished a session. The used to count but those were done away with and in fact we are tolds not to count or put quotas on members.

I guess the bar code could change things.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Polygamy Porter wrote:If this is true, I guess I will have to abandon my hope of one final visit to the masonic Mormon theater of pain...

I have a friend who has blank recommends and could get me in... we were planning on one last hurrah this fall while filled with the spirits of Captain Morgan...

*sigh*

I feel it's a good thing because of jackasses like this.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo