funny Julia Sweeney TED talk

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

funny Julia Sweeney TED talk

Post by _Sethbag »

Click here to listen to Julia Sweeney talk about God. Partway through she spends a few minutes talking about her conversation with Mormon missionaries. It's really funny, and it helps see how "normal" people view such a conversation, where Mormons talk about what they believe. She got the LDS doctrinal angles surprisingly correct, too, and it just sounds pretty stupid.

I think most of you will enjoy it. :-)
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

I believe this was posted a couple weeks ago.

in case you were wondering why the lack of responses...

But yes, it's pretty damn amusing.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

I heard this talk originally on NPR during This American Life.

Good stuff!
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: funny Julia Sweeney TED talk

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Sethbag wrote:Click here to listen to Julia Sweeney talk about God. Partway through she spends a few minutes talking about her conversation with Mormon missionaries. It's really funny, and it helps see how "normal" people view such a conversation, where Mormons talk about what they believe. She got the LDS doctrinal angles surprisingly correct, too, and it just sounds pretty stupid.

I think most of you will enjoy it. :-)

I have listened to her before. She is pretty entertaining and thought provoking.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

LOL Thanks for posting this -- I missed it the first time around. I once had a similar moment of reflection (to Sweeny's) when the Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on my door in Provo.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond