Is the statement "god exists" true?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Is the statement "god exists" true?

Post by _Mercury »

Furthermore, what is "truth"? What makes something true? What makes something false?

Can you prove god exists?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Can you prove he/she doesn't?

;)
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

liz3564 wrote:

Can you prove he/she doesn't?

;)

How do you prove a negative?
Lost in time
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Belief in God is a choice. People who believe in God find that it enriches and adds meaning to their lives.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: Is the statement "god exists" true?

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Mercury wrote:Furthermore, what is "truth"? What makes something true? What makes something false?

I'm still trying to settle on a working definition of "god."
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

People of faith can't prove God exists to anyone else. Why would you ask them to?
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Re: Is the statement "god exists" true?

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Doctor Steuss wrote:I'm still trying to settle on a working definition of "god."

I've always thought it was a dog doing the Moonwalk.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

I think it can be proven the Stegasaurus doesn't exist anymore. So apparently we can prove negatives. And God could in principle be proven with near mathematical certainty to not exist if the deductive formulation of the problem of evil holds.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:People of faith can't prove God exists to anyone else. Why would you ask them to?

this is my next point and speaks to the utility of knowing Vs the utility in belief. Why is it useful to believe something that is unprovable? We can prove that Electrons exist by turning on a light switch or (indirectly) by measuring the speed of light.

I guess im beating a dead horse here and not being specific enough in my approach. There is so much animosity to those in the religious camps when we tell them the emperor has no clothes.
Lost in time
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Gadianton wrote:I think it can be proven the Stegasaurus doesn't exist anymore. So apparently we can prove negatives. And God could in principle be proven to not exist if the deductive formulation of the problem of evil holds.
Can you? How do you know that there are no stegosaurs? Have you surveyed every square foot of space on the earth and determined a stegosaurus does not exist there? Adn what of the possibilities of stegosaurs on the moon? I believe the quakers might be herding them on the moon.
Lost in time