Is the statement "god exists" true?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Mercury wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Can you prove that God esists? No. Next question?

I'm assuming here so correct me if I'm wrong but if you can't prove that god exists then there is no utility in believing in him.

Since when does "belief" require "proof"?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Guy

Post by _Gazelam »

I was responding to the snippet included in Mercury's post. Here's the exact text:

You CAN prove that God exists. It's called Moronis promise. People do it every day.

The sad thing is that Mercury KNOWS this and sits here railing against it anyway.

I went back to the original full text, and it is exactly the same thing.

I see nothing in this text to suggest the interpretation you’ve given.

What I haven’t done is take the 20 minutes to read all the preceding posts to pinpoint the context of the quote. My time is more valuable to me than this.

I stand by my interpretation.

One can only hope that in whatever it is you do that you demonstrate a higher degree of reading comprehension that what you’ve demonstrated here.

Mercury served a mission and therefore witnessed the exact occurance I made a point of. He knows both what the Holy Ghost feels/impresses like and that God makes himself known through revelation. His statements here are mere rantings against the witness he received.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Can you prove that God esists? No. Next question?

I'm assuming here so correct me if I'm wrong but if you can't prove that god exists then there is no utility in believing in him.

Since when does "belief" require "proof"?

that's my problem with belief. Since it does not require proof then there is no utility in such, therefore it is useless. Belief becomes an exercise in (f)utility.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Guy

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:
Mercury served a mission and therefore witnessed the exact occurance I made a point of. He knows both what the Holy Ghost feels/impresses like and that God makes himself known through revelation. His statements here are mere rantings against the witness he received.

Gaz, what I witnessed (as in what I experienced) was a technique of convincing the gullible. Convincing them through a confidence game wherein a self referencing scriptural passage tells them that truth can be discerned through emotion.

Gaz, what you are forgetting is that I have direct experience trying this technique of confidence game. Its a scam that employs the use of false logic and lying to the initiate. The missionaries do not know they are lying but it is a lie nonetheless.

What you and the small marginalized church do is tell others that one can find truth via a process that relies on conflicting input. Your process for determining truth does not determine truth, it is a method for bringing another into the fold based on incorrect data. But this is par for the course, as your faith is a lie of the first degree to begin with.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Please explain to me how a person can be given a chapter to read in the Book of Mormon, and asked to pray about it, and this is considerd a form of hypnosis or whatever.

A person who reads and prays and receives a definitive answer to prayer is considered some sort of victim? A victim of what? God speaking to them?

How is teaching a person to receive revelation from God a form of con game?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato