Belief as a mechanism for self deception

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Belief as a mechanism for self deception

Post by _Mercury »

Sociopaths make excuses for why they do things outside of the norms established by society and lie to cover their tracks. is religion the same function colored differently? The ongoing chatter between Book of Mormon, I and others has raised the questin of the utility of belief and the usefulness of self deception. So, a few talking points:

- If something is not true but the believer does not acknowledge the glaring inconsistencies is it still beneficial Does it have high utility?
- is religion a paradisaical state of mind for the Sociopath?
- Does religion promote sociopathologic (is that a real word?) thought patterns? IE, if it works for justifying comfort via Jesus can it work for fudging taxes and the success of cheating spouses?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

I think justification is part of being human. Accepting your actions is hard. I think it has nothing to do with religion or being a sociopath. I very much doubt any of us has the psychological credentials to know what makes a sociopath's justifications different than a normal person's justifications. Why don't I do more to feed the poor? Well, let me give you my justification . . . (justification hardly makes me a mental case now does it?).
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:I think justification is part of being human. Accepting your actions is hard. I think it has nothing to do with religion or being a sociopath. I very much doubt any of us has the psychological credentials to know what makes a sociopath's justifications different than a normal person's justifications. Why don't I do more to feed the poor? Well, let me give you my justification . . . (justification hardly makes me a mental case now does it?).

Justification, yes. Indeed. its part of being human.

This issue is more about rationalization than justification.
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Mercury wrote:This issue is more about rationalization than justification.

What's the difference? Whether people agree with the justification or merely see it as a pretense?
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
Mercury wrote:This issue is more about rationalization than justification.

What's the difference? Whether people agree with the justification or merely see it as a pretense?

Maybe I have the semantics skewed. I see Justification as more valid than rationalization. Then again the OED might be lying or you might be trying to play word games. Hmmmmmm.
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: Belief as a mechanism for self deception

Post by _asbestosman »

Alright, I don't like semantics that much so let's get back to your question instead of semantics.

Mercury wrote:Sociopaths make excuses for why they do things outside of the norms established by society and lie to cover their tracks. is religion the same function colored differently?

I would say, no. As I recall, even Richard Dawkins even suggested that religion may be a secondary charasteristic for a more innate need (and I recall nothing about excuses) just as a moth will fly toward light or fire, but not because that's somehow beneficial to moths. Rather navigation by moonlight is while fire screws it up. I wish I could remember what he thought religion might be a manifestation of, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with making excuses for bad behavior.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:Alright, I don't like semantics that much so let's get back to your question instead of semantics.

Mercury wrote:Sociopaths make excuses for why they do things outside of the norms established by society and lie to cover their tracks. is religion the same function colored differently?

I would say, no. As I recall, even Richard Dawkins even suggested that religion may be a secondary charasteristic for a more innate need (and I recall nothing about excuses) just as a moth will fly toward light or fire, but not because that's somehow beneficial to moths. Rather navigation by moonlight is while fire screws it up. I wish I could remember what he thought religion might be a manifestation of, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with making excuses for bad behavior.

Right, but your describing primary drivers of religious behavior. I am elaborating on the personages who benefit the most from a situation of trust urned deception. It is my idea that Sociopathic behavior is reinforced when one can turn to a personal God for further justification, ala flaming sword combined with diddling 14 year olds.
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Mercury wrote:I am elaborating on the personages who benefit the most from a situation of trust urned deception. It is my idea that Sociopathic behavior is reinforced when one can turn to a personal God for further justification

Yes, people practice priestcrafts. Even the Book of Mormon says so which means we are agreement there. Many good things are dangerous in the wrong hands.

Just wait 'till you see what can be done with hotdogs, some whipping cream, and a roll of duct-tape.
;)
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:Just wait 'till you see what can be done with hotdogs, some whipping cream, and a roll of duct-tape.
;)

I don't get it
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Mercury wrote:
asbestosman wrote:Just wait 'till you see what can be done with hotdogs, some whipping cream, and a roll of duct-tape.
;)

I don't get it

I was just making up something absurd for humor hoping that your imagination would fill in the details. Obviously it didn't work and therefore was pretty lame.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO