Missionaries tell others their religion is wrong

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Missionaries tell others their religion is wrong

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

They may do it with some tact, but the essential message is that LDS have the truth and everyone else is wrong. Do I have that correctly?

Is that comfort in going to other countries, homes, interloping on personal beliefs and norms make it easier for ex-LDS to continue this missionary work as atheists?
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: Missionaries tell others their religion is wrong

Post by _asbestosman »

barrelomonkeys wrote:They may do it with some tact, but the essential message is that LDS have the truth and everyone else is wrong. Do I have that correctly?

You may consider it semantics, but we say that they simply have an imcomplete picture while we have further light and knowledge to add to the good they already know. Of course when we get down to it we do believe many hold some false beliefs such as the Trinity vs the Godhead or Predestination vs Agency.
Is that comfort in going to other countries, homes, interloping on personal beliefs and norms make it easier for ex-LDS to continue this missionary work as atheists?

I don't think that's why they do it. I think it has more to do with how deep the religion thing is in their cores. When suddenly they change sides it'll hurt a lot more.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:They may do it with some tact, but the essential message is that LDS have the truth and everyone else is wrong. Do I have that correctly?

Possibly. But since I felt I was right at the time I was doing the right thing crapping on others beliefs. I believed it was true, therefore I was in the right.

XOXO
;)
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

asbestosman wrote:

You may consider it semantics, but we say that they simply have an imcomplete picture while we have further light and knowledge to add to the good they already know. Of course when we get down to it we do believe many hold some false beliefs such as the Trinity vs the Godhead or Predestination vs Agency.

I don't think that's why they do it. I think it has more to do with how deep the religion thing is in their cores. When suddenly they change sides it'll hurt a lot more.

Hi asbestosman, Love your name! I have an old home that was a pain in the rump to get rid of that stuff!

I was actually wanting the atheists that think it is perfectly acceptable to tell people they're wrong about their faith to answer this question.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Mercury wrote:

Possibly. But since I felt I was right at the time I was doing the right thing crapping on others beliefs. I believed it was true, therefore I was in the right.

XOXO
;)

Do you believe this comfort of believing other people were wrong, and you had to share with them the "truth", has carried over with you now that you no longer believe?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

asbestosman wrote:

If the catholic church says "we're the true church", then yes, the Mormons say they're wrong. If a church says "there are lots of paths to god" then the Mormon church says they're wrong. If the EVs say Mormons are going to hell, the Mormon church says they're wrong.

So, in a nutshell, yes Book of Mormon, you're right.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

I ask this because I'm confounded that anyone would actually be comfortable going into any group of people and telling them they're just wrong. I've lived in lots of different cultures and communities and tried to make as little a dent as I could. I respected the culture and customs.

It occurred to me that some ex-LDS atheists that have no problem ridiculing (and I'm not just calling you out Mercury) people of faith may have never learned the common decency to leave people and their cultural norms alone.

I am not saying I have a problem with missionaries. I don't. I understand that if your religion says you must convert, then you must convert. I'm just trying to understand why some ex-LDS have a problem with the common courtesies most people utilize when they are confronted with people that have different beliefs then their own.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

That is the essential message of missionary work, although it doesn't become plainly obvious until priesthood authority is mentioned in the 3rd discussion. (Is it still 3rd? I heard they changed some things a year or so ago.) Up until then, it's more about building on common beliefs and getting them to trust their feelings instead of their brains.

I seriously doubt you would find many ex-LDS who consider themselves to be on the sort of mission we served as full time LDS missionaries. I rarely have a chance to comment on other peoples' beliefs besides posting on these two message boards. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only chance I've had (in person) in the last two years was once when some missionaries came knocking on my door. No, I don't feel the need to go spreading my ideas to people who don't want to hear them. If they are happy believing the traditions of their fathers, then I'm happy to let them carry on. Life is short.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_TAK
_Emeritus

Post by _TAK »

Do mishys still recite the Jos Smith story in the first discussion?
As I recall God is quoted as saying all the churches are false.. or some such rubish..
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

The Dude wrote:
I seriously doubt you would find many ex-LDS who consider themselves to be on the sort of mission we served as full time LDS missionaries.

Dude, have you met Mercury?

These boards probably present a skewed perception of ex-LDS. The ones that are angry and have a personal crusade against religion sort of stand out to me.