Missionaries tell others their religion is wrong

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Missionaries tell others their religion is wrong

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
The Dude wrote:
I seriously doubt you would find many ex-LDS who consider themselves to be on the sort of mission we served as full time LDS missionaries.

Dude, have you met Mercury?

The boards no doubt present a skewed perception of ex-LDS.

haha! Noooo, I really do not consider myself on a mission to deconvert anyone. I just like sharing my opinion and this can be counterproductive to others liking me. no biggie, most faith-based brains don't like me anyways. This seems to happen when one tells another convincingly that belief in a deity is laughable.

Would you rather I coat it in sugar? Or maybe you wish id just not be allowed to share my opinion at all? Besides, in my experience those in the faith camp will not change. The least I can do is help myself see a response from those who disagree with me. What is sad is that it usually devolves into personal attacks and really piss-poor exercises in pseudoscience.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Mercury wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:
The Dude wrote:
I seriously doubt you would find many ex-LDS who consider themselves to be on the sort of mission we served as full time LDS missionaries.

haha! Noooo, I really do not consider myself on a mission to deconvert anyone. I just like sharing my opinion and this can be counterproductive to others liking me. no biggie, most faith-based brains don't like me anyways. This seems to happen when one tells another convincingly that belief in a deity is laughable.

Would you rather I coat it in sugar? Or maybe you wish id just not be allowed to share my opinion at all? Besides, in my experience those in the faith camp will not change. The least I can do is help myself see a response from those who disagree with me. What is sad is that it usually devolves into personal attacks and really piss-poor exercises in pseudoscience.

mercury, I love that you share your opinion! I would never ask you to not share them.

Are you uncomfortable with me commenting on your opinions?
_neworder
_Emeritus

Post by _neworder »

They can get a way with it a little easier because they clump them all together.

According to JSH 1:19 "I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof."

It seems very clear that the Lord thought that everybody at that time was way off the mark. So far off that he did not even mention that they got some parts right.

Mormons can think they can get away with bashing other religons because they put them all together. What would sound more offensive to the Southern Baptist?

"The LDS Church is the only church with the authority to act in the name of God and the only Church that teaches the correct doctrine that has been lost through the ages because of the apostasy".

or

"The Southern Baptist do not have the authority to act in the name of God and they teach false doctrine. It is Only the LDS Church that has the proper priesthood authority to act in the name of God. By joining the Baptist you are belonging to a corrupt religion."

Once you start naming specific religions, it sounds a lot worse even though it is really the same as if you said everybody.

A TBM would take a lot more offense if I said "Joseph Smith was a false prophet and made it all up" then if I said "All religions are man made institutions and all if it is just made up". In the 2nd example I am attacking Mormonism just as much as I am in the 1st one.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

I consider myself as a missionary of truth.
While I do not go door to door, I do actively watch for opportunities to share a piece of rancid Mormon meat with an unwitting nevermo.. and have done so with complete strangers while waiting in line...
As a member we were told to always look for a moment to talk about the "gospel"... let's just say I still do that and do so 1-2 times per week..
Mitt has helped me more than he will ever know!!! Perhaps I should hope he wins......
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Mercury wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:
The Dude wrote:

mercury, I love that you share your opinion! I would never ask you to not share them.

Are you uncomfortable with me commenting on your opinions?

Not at all! just because you disagree with me doe snot make you wrong. Fortunately for me your the only one here that seems to want to break the topics of discussion into digestable chunks instead of ejaculating poorly constructed responses ala Dart.

I come here to have my ideas challenged. I get frustrated when the only answer given to me is Your wrong!!! Get Therapy!!!!
Lost in time
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Polygamy Porter wrote:I consider myself as a missionary of truth.
While I do not go door to door, I do actively watch for opportunities to share a piece of rancid Mormon meat with an unwitting nevermo.. and have done so with complete strangers while waiting in line...
As a member we were told to always look for a moment to talk about the "gospel"... let's just say I still do that and do so 1-2 times per week..
Mitt has helped me more than he will ever know!!! Perhaps I should hope he wins......

Hey PP, you're definitely on a mission now.

Did you ever go on a mission for the LDS Church? Is cultural tolerance really stressed?
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

neworder wrote:They can get a way with it a little easier because they clump them all together.

According to JSH 1:19 "I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof."

It seems very clear that the Lord thought that everybody at that time was way off the mark. So far off that he did not even mention that they got some parts right.

Mormons can think they can get away with bashing other religons because they put them all together. What would sound more offensive to the Southern Baptist?

"The LDS Church is the only church with the authority to act in the name of God and the only Church that teaches the correct doctrine that has been lost through the ages because of the apostasy".

or

"The Southern Baptist do not have the authority to act in the name of God and they teach false doctrine. It is Only the LDS Church that has the proper priesthood authority to act in the name of God. By joining the Baptist you are belonging to a corrupt religion."

Once you start naming specific religions, it sounds a lot worse even though it is really the same as if you said everybody.

A TBM would take a lot more offense if I said "Joseph Smith was a false prophet and made it all up" then if I said "All religions are man made institutions and all if it is just made up". In the 2nd example I am attacking Mormonism just as much as I am in the 1st one.

I think you're correct. I am a little surprised everytime I see on MAD that they don't call other religions false or even talk about other religions. They actually do. They just don't call them out by name.

I don't really care one way or another whether LDS think they have the true Church, I just see this mentality carrying over to the ex-LDS that feel they're on a crusade.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Mercury wrote:I come here to have my ideas challenged. I get frustrated when the only answer given to me is Your wrong!!! Get Therapy!!!!

Even when you're wrong, and therapy would help? If you don't consider that you're wrong, you don't come here to have your ideas challenged. You only want your ideas reinforced, ala MAD.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

harmony wrote:
Mercury wrote:I come here to have my ideas challenged. I get frustrated when the only answer given to me is Your wrong!!! Get Therapy!!!!

Even when you're wrong, and therapy would help? If you don't consider that you're wrong, you don't come here to have your ideas challenged. You only want your ideas reinforced, ala MAD.

YOUR WRONG!!! GET THERAPY!!!
Lost in time
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Hey PP, you're definitely on a mission now.
Damn straight. It is my moral duty to my fellow humans.

barrelomonkeys wrote:Did you ever go on a mission for the LDS Church?
No way. I served my country instead.

barrelomonkeys wrote:Is cultural tolerance really stressed?
When in a cult do as the cult does. Yes.