Aueteur55's Comments from Seven's Thread re/Joseph Smith

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_auteur55
_Emeritus

Post by _auteur55 »

I usually say "Mommy is sick" because I really am sick inside when I think about Joseph Smith and going back.

Yet you never met the man. I believe if we could meet Joseph face to face he would win us over. He could defend himself and we would hear the truth from his own lips. I've read everything you have about Joseph Smith and yet I can say he is a true friend to the saints.

Don't believe cracks of a cloudy history so easily. We're only getting skewed pieces of the puzzle.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

auteur55 wrote:
I usually say "Mommy is sick" because I really am sick inside when I think about Joseph Smith and going back.

Yet you never met the man. I believe if we could meet Joseph face to face he would win us over. He could defend himself and we would hear the truth from his own lips. I've read everything you have about Joseph Smith and yet I can say he is a true friend to the saints.

Don't believe cracks of a cloudy history so easily. We're only getting skewed pieces of the puzzle.
Pleaaassee.

We aren't talking about something that happened 2,000 years ago. These are recent, recorded events.

So let me get this straight, you don't think he had any extra wives?

Please return to the chapel board until you understand real Mormon history.
_auteur55
_Emeritus

Post by _auteur55 »

Pleaaassee.

We aren't talking about something that happened 2,000 years ago. These are recent, recorded events.

You have to admit the waters have been muddied somewhat. So nobody EVER lied about Joseph Smith and the Mormons?

Of course I do

I know just as much about so called "real" Mormon history as you do. Be as condescending as you want but don't call me ignorant. I mean there is nothing worse than being a adomninable chapel Mormon (unless you need help moving of course).

[/quote]
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

auteur55 wrote:
Pleaaassee.

You have to admit the waters have been muddied somewhat. So nobody EVER lied about Joseph Smith and the Mormons?

Of course I do

I know just as much about so called "real" Mormon history as you do. Be as condescending as you want but don't call me ignorant. I mean there is nothing worse than being a adomninable chapel Mormon (unless you need help moving of course).
Really? How do you explain Joe breaking the law, lying to the members/public, going against his own canonized scripture and cheating on his wife, all in the name of polygamy?
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

auteur55 wrote:Yet you never met the man. I believe if we could meet Joseph face to face he would win us over. He could defend himself and we would hear the truth from his own lips. I've read everything you have about Joseph Smith and yet I can say he is a true friend to the saints.

Auteur,

This is how it works: You read something that is unpleasant about the prophet of God, Joseph Smith. It has caused you to be so uneasy that you feel compelled to disprove such an accusation. You seek out the history books of the church, even listen to the scholars. You discover that by running some very basic searches on the internet that much of the work has been done for you in the past 25 years. This is when you start getting stomach cramps like you did back in college studying for finals. The problem is that the deaper you study, you discover something you would never have considered until that moment. The cracks are fizures that cut right throught the core. It makes most very angry, depressed and even turns not a few to atheism.

This is a mixed board, please be aware you may discover things here that are most unpleasant.

(sorry for the hijack Seven.

Auteur, I'd suggest you start a new thread to keep us from flaming a good discussion on re-entry of the mainstream.

Port, if it takes more than 2 posts to flame someone, why don't you take it outside and start a new thread?)
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
_auteur55
_Emeritus

Post by _auteur55 »

This is a mixed board, please be aware you may discover things here that are most unpleasant.

Cue the scary music.

I'm already shaking in my boots.
_auteur55
_Emeritus

Post by _auteur55 »

Really? How do you explain Joe breaking the law, lying to the members/public, going against his own canonized scripture and cheating on his wife, all in the name of polygamy?

Breaking the law:
When was he convicted of anything?

lying to the members:
What you call lying I call protecting, intermingled with a bit of fear.

going against his own canonized scripture:
I don't believe he ever did. I've been shown some of these contradictions but they aren't as persuasive to me as they are to some. The whole religion doesn't crumble due to some supposed scriptural contradictions.

Cheating on his wife:
This is between him, Emma and God

all in the name of polygamy?:
I think very little of what he did was in the name of polygamy.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

auteur55 wrote: I believe if we could meet Joseph face to face he would win us over.

That's quite possible. I believe he was a very charismatic man. I've never doubted this since it seems obvious from history no matter how you interpret it.

auteur55 wrote:Don't believe cracks of a cloudy history so easily. We're only getting skewed pieces of the puzzle.

I'm having a hard time with this mixed metaphor...the history is cloudy? Why? Who has beclouded it? Same with the puzzle, how are pieces skewed?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

(Moderator Note)

Here are Auteur's comments from Seven's thread.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming!

;)

Liz
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

auteur55 wrote:And from your posts I gather that you are an upleasant bully full of insults and self-loathing. Which upon choosing between the two I would chose chapel Mormon every time.

Again, I fully believe that I know more about church history and it's "darker" sides than you do. I have been submerged in this stuff my whole life. So whose the sucker?
Really? Reading your reply to my questions makes me think you don't know squat, either that or you are lying:
auteur55 wrote:Breaking the law:
When was he convicted of anything?
-- In March 1826, Smith was convicted after an alleged admission to being a "disorderly person" and an "impostor" in a court in Bainbridge, New York

-- Polygamy was against the law in the state of Illinois(where Nauvoo is located) from 1833:
"Sec 121. Bigamy consists in the having of two wives or two husbands at one and the same time, knowing that the former husband or wife is still alive. If any person or persons within this State, being married, or who shall hereafter marry, do at any time marry any person or persons, the former husband or wife being alive, the person so offending shall, on conviction thereof, be punished by a fine, not exceeding one thousand dollars, and imprisoned in the penitentiary, not exceeding two years. It shall not be necessary to prove either of the said marriages by the register or certificate thereof, or other record evidence; but the same may be proved by such evidence as is admissible to prove a marriage in other cases, and when such second marriage shall have taken place without this state, cohabitation in this state after such second marriage shall be deemed the commission of the crime of bigamy, and the trial in such case may take place in the county where such cohabitation shall have occurred."
Revised Laws of Illinois, 1833, p.198-99

Smith broke the law of the land even though he told the world the following:
"We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."
- 12th Article of Faith, written by the Prophet Joseph Smith

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
auteur55 wrote:ying to the members:
What you call lying I call protecting, intermingled with a bit of fear.

Joseph Smith himself affirmed monogamy to be the only form of marriage permissible in his church in the church's official 1838 publication:
"Do the Mormons believe in having more wives than one? No, not at the same time. But they believe that if their companion dies, they have a right to marry again."
-The Prophet Joseph Smith, May 1, 1838, as quoted in "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith", p. 119.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
auteur55 wrote:going against his own canonized scripture:
I don't believe he ever did. I've been shown some of these contradictions but they aren't as persuasive to me as they are to some. The whole religion doesn't crumble due to some supposed scriptural contradictions.

The 1835 edition of the "Doctrine and Covenants," which was the official edition during the Prophet Joseph Smith's church administration, specifically prohibited the practice of polygamy:

Doctrine and Covenants Section 101, Verse 4 (1835 edition):
"Inasmuch as this church of Christ has been reproached with the crime of fornication and polygamy; we declare that we believe that one man should have one wife; and one woman but one husband; except that in the event of death when either is at liberty to marry again." (History of the Church, vol. 2, pg. 247)

auteur55 wrote:Cheating on his wife:
This is between him, Emma and God
It is our business when the party line is that he was dedicated to only her.
Read Mormon Enigma, available at the bookstore, Deseret Book, which is owned and operated by LDS Inc.

auteur55 wrote:all in the name of polygamy?:
I think very little of what he did was in the name of polygamy.
- It lead to his death.
- It heavily contributed to, if not caused the Mountain Meadows Massacre, due to the anger the members had for the death of their beloved perverted Parley P. Pratt for stealing an Arkansas man's wife to be his polygamous wife. This man then killed Pratt for doing so, just before the Fancher party made the doomed trek into the belly of the Utah theocracy where they were murdered by Mormons fueled with hatred for the impending US Army AND a wagon train from the state where Pratt was killed.
-Its foundations laid out the temple ceremony and what you now call celestial marriage.

Polygamy is as Mormon as apple pie is American.

My assessment of September Dawn comes from respected, non-lds critics who have seen the film. They seem to be unanimous in panning it calling it an overblown, ugly soap-opera. You seem to under estimate the publics ability to recognize this film for what it is: a Mormon hit piece. Which would be fine and dandy if it the direction, acting, film making was any good.
Guess what bud, this film is far less misleading than the facade that LDS Inc foists upon the unwitting public about the orgins of Mormonism.

The Mormon church brought September Dawn upon themselves. They had 150 years to make reparations, apologize, and do the right thing. Being forced to apologize is horrible PR.

It is my opinion that LDS Inc deserves every ounce of disgrace and mistrust that this film throws at their feet. I could only hope it would be a heavier burden upon them publicly.