Yediyd from LDSForums.com.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_jayneedoe
_Emeritus

Post by _jayneedoe »

Bond...James Bond wrote:jaynee,

You better tell your pal that ceasefires go both way......apparently they're still talking crap over on ldstalk.com. Might want to give her a headsup to shut the hell up, before I forget I'm dropping the issue. And please tell her I'm not a dang evangelical...jeez. I hate stupid apologists.

Yes, I saw that Bond, and I agree with you.

I can see now it really was a mistake for me to get involved. I thought I was doing a good thing, but I ended up putting myelf in the middle.

In point of fact, I've read the threads that were available, and I don't see anything offensive, except, again PP's posts. And I have told her a number of times that everyone else was very nice. Yet she is insistent everyone was mocking her. She says there is another thread that was deleted, that I did not see, where this happened.

It's not that I disbelieve her exactly, but I know everyone here, and as hard as I tried to explain to her that you guys wouldn't do that, she just wouldn't hear me.

So, my apologies to everyone for sticking my nose in this. I really do love the woman, and didn't want to see her hurt. But she has told me she's strong; additionally, she feels everyone here are akin to Satan's minons (my words, not hers). I don't agree, so we just have to agree to disagree.

Jaynee
_mocnarf
_Emeritus

Post by _mocnarf »

Doctor Steuss wrote:I was banned from LDSTalk. Figure that one out. I wonder if I’m the first Mormon to be banned from there. This is quite the crowning achievement for me. I wasn’t even banned for defending Mormonism at an Evangelical board a while back. See what happens by merely associating with you heathens over here!?!?! Guilty by association. Oh well, 'tis probably for the best.

At any rate… jayneedoe, please wish your friend the best from me. I’m sure she’ll be fine.

Edit:
I can't even view the forums anymore. What the poop is going on here? I'm kind of hurt (seriously... this kind of stings a bit).

Doctor Steuss, It must have been your avitar that got you banned, they probably didn't even read your post.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

mocnarf wrote:Doctor Steuss, It must have been your avitar that got you banned, they probably didn't even read your post.

LOL. A feller drops a bit of acid and does some shrooms in his late teens/early twenties and all of a sudden he ain't worth reading.

I need to post on American Indian Spirituality message boards.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I won't "seek out" LDS believers in order to bring up these issues with them. I don't like mucking about in other people's lives without fully understanding what the ramifications of loss of faith may mean in their lives.

BUT - if people actually go to boards that are designed to allow for exchanges between critics and believers, then they are responsible for what they bring upon themselves.

If someone can't risk losing faith in the LDS church for whatever reason, they ought to follow my Dad's philosophy. He told me once, when trying to convince me to stop reading "anti books" - like Mormon Enigma - "my philosophy is if I know the church is true - and I do - I refuse to read anything that might make me doubt."

Yeah, there's a lot of unpacking in that sentence ;) but at least he knows his own limits. He doesn't want to lose faith in what he "knows" to be true (but apparently could be made to doubt). So he doesn't read things that have the potential to trouble that faith. Whether or not you, or I, would be happy with that kind of faith is a different question. It's what he wants to do with his life.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

beastie wrote:I won't "seek out" LDS believers in order to bring up these issues with them. I don't like mucking about in other people's lives without fully understanding what the ramifications of loss of faith may mean in their lives.

BUT - if people actually go to boards that are designed to allow for exchanges between critics and believers, then they are responsible for what they bring upon themselves.

If someone can't risk losing faith in the LDS church for whatever reason, they ought to follow my Dad's philosophy. He told me once, when trying to convince me to stop reading "anti books" - like Mormon Enigma - "my philosophy is if I know the church is true - and I do - I refuse to read anything that might make me doubt."

Yeah, there's a lot of unpacking in that sentence ;) but at least he knows his own limits. He doesn't want to lose faith in what he "knows" to be true (but apparently could be made to doubt). So he doesn't read things that have the potential to trouble that faith. Whether or not you, or I, would be happy with that kind of faith is a different question. It's what he wants to do with his life.

I hear ya. A couple years before I found out about this other side to Mormonism on the web (about 2 years ago), i was afraid to research anything about the church on the internet, because I knew there would be stuff that would probably make me lose faith. So I avoided anything about the church on the web. Then one day I said 'screw it, bring it on, i can take anything'. I guess i was right.

And I've even told my brothers about some stuff they didn't know, told them where to go to research it, etc. But guess what, they didn't care. I suspect they hold to your dad's philosophy.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Pass the ketchup... jayneedoe might like it with the EGG on her face.

Lastly jayne.. I am puzzled why a convert would listen to a confessed EXMORMON... "I don't think it is good, but its true enough for you"
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

jayneedoe wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:jaynee,

You better tell your pal that ceasefires go both way......apparently they're still talking crap over on ldstalk.com. Might want to give her a headsup to shut the hell up, before I forget I'm dropping the issue. And please tell her I'm not a dang evangelical...jeez. I hate stupid apologists.

Yes, I saw that Bond, and I agree with you.

I can see now it really was a mistake for me to get involved. I thought I was doing a good thing, but I ended up putting myelf in the middle.

In point of fact, I've read the threads that were available, and I don't see anything offensive, except, again PP's posts. And I have told her a number of times that everyone else was very nice. Yet she is insistent everyone was mocking her. She says there is another thread that was deleted, that I did not see, where this happened.

It's not that I disbelieve her exactly, but I know everyone here, and as hard as I tried to explain to her that you guys wouldn't do that, she just wouldn't hear me.

Trust me....that Joseph Smith wives thread (which I saved to my blog) was the worst that was said by anybody....and it's not bad. She's just mad cause she caught a whiff of the truth on the wind, and now she's got inner conflict, so of course we're to blame for something she read on an internet message board. If she wants to keep her testimony perhaps she should turn off the computer, stick her fingers in her ears, and go "la la la". Cause it's only going to get worst now that she has a bit of knowledge (not to mention she said that she read on JosephLied.com for almost an hour......which I'm guessing was much worse than anything I could tell her).

So, my apologies to everyone for sticking my nose in this. I really do love the woman, and didn't want to see her hurt. But she has told me she's strong; additionally, she feels everyone here are akin to Satan's minons (my words, not hers). I don't agree, so we just have to agree to disagree.

Jaynee

Yeah I find it a bit irritating to be called "a Minion of Satan" because I cut a little chink in her testimony. Nevermind that I told the truth or anything......but consider it dropped (as long as she stops talking crap on her little cocoon of a board).
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Doctor Steuss wrote:I was banned from LDSTalk. Figure that one out. I wonder if I’m the first Mormon to be banned from there. This is quite the crowning achievement for me. I wasn’t even banned for defending Mormonism at an Evangelical board a while back. See what happens by merely associating with you heathens over here!?!?! Guilty by association. Oh well, 'tis probably for the best.

At any rate… jayneedoe, please wish your friend the best from me. I’m sure she’ll be fine.

Edit:
I can't even view the forums anymore. What the poop is going on here? I'm kind of hurt (seriously... this kind of stings a bit).

Congrats....Step 2 (getting banned from a message board) is complete in the Mormondiscussions evil-thing-a-man-jig conversion program. Please prepare for step 3.....desentivity to using science as a blackjack and step 4, the mandatory colonic.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Bond...James Bond wrote:

Edit:

Congrats....Step 2 (getting banned from a message board) is complete in the Mormondiscussions evil-thing-a-man-jig conversion program. Please prepare for step 3.....desentivity to using science as a blackjack and step 4, the mandatory colonic.

I feel dirty.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:

I feel dirty.

What do you think the colonic is for?