Yediyd from LDSForums.com.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

PP's rants are extreme and skewed, but he does have a point. A small point, but a point nonetheless. If tithing was not required for temple entrance, he'd have no standing. As it is, from a certain perspective, he is correct. Baptism = tithing. Church membership = tithing. Temple attendance = tithing. It's the church's fault they tie everything to paying tithes, and then spend countless talks harping about people not paying as much as they should, even after our leaders never give us a hard and fast rule about what that paying includes. The way to correct this skewed principle is to remove tithing from the Required list, and make it voluntary, not mandatory. I don't know of any other church in which tithes and offerings are mandated.

Your point is not invalid but the Church people, and I believe this means most GAs as well, really do believe this is the way to salvation and exaltation. Since most the converts are currently from poor countries and even in the US many are often less then well off, tithing cannot be the main motivation. In fact I would bet that in many areas the net cost of converts is far in excess of the income they bring in.
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Re: Apology from Yediyd

Post by _cksalmon »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
jayneedoe wrote:Yediyd asked me to post the following:

You know...I did go over to that Mormon discussions board...and I owe a few apologies...One guy was defending me...and the Bond guy was mocking and gleefully bragging about the trouble that he caused...but he was never rude to me. I was angry...not by what he said to me...but by the gloat fest I came across later in their form...apparently...the gloating was not aimed at me...Excluding the knuckle dragging cretin who calls himself Polygamy Porter...So, just to clarify...I realise that Bond was doing what he felt was right in warning me of the things that he perceives as the truth...he was never rude to me...My anger with him was in the gleeful gloating he did BEFORE he even ran across me, I was wrong in taking that personally and I openly apologize to you, Bond. Also..Dr Shades, thank you for the kind things you said...

I have had enough of this thread and conversation. This will be my last post on the matter.

Yediyd

Well it's good to hear she's getting the story straight.....no harm no foul Yediyd
(I wasn't mad at her to begin with, just wanted her to get the story straight that I'm not evangelical/or a minion of Satan).

I still owe that wanker "john doe" and the cowardly mods "Strawberry Fields" and "guiseppe" a thing or two.

Hi Bond--

Even though I think I might be included in his "slimy" group comment, let me say that, from what I can tell, "johndoe" is a great guy. I think he might just have been frustrated with what he took to be some dogpiling. He posts rather sparingly now on MADB, but he's a good thinker, and a judicious one, and probably not the sort of guy you might think him to be. Have you interacted with him over on MADB? I've had several interesting discussions with him (most about determinism). He's consistently cordial, warm, and well-spoken. (It could be because I am an evangelical, and thus just as messed up in the head as he!)

Best.

CKS
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

cksalmon wrote:
Hi Bond--

Even though I think I might be included in his "slimy" group comment, let me say that, from what I can tell, "johndoe" is a great guy. I think he might just have been frustrated with what he took to be some dogpiling. He posts rather sparingly now on MADB, but he's a good thinker, and a judicious one, and probably not the sort of guy you might think him to be. Have you interacted with him over on MADB? I've had several interesting discussions with him (most about determinism). He's consistently cordial, warm, and well-spoken. (It could be because I am an evangelical, and thus just as messed up in the head as he!)

Best.

CKS

Not on MAD.....does he go by the same name?

Yeah you Mormons and evangelical types are all crazy ;)

I'm cooling my jets......I doubt I do anything further to any of those boards. I find myself growing weary of boardwaring....I hope it isn't some type of defect.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Not on MAD.....does he go by the same name?

Yeah you Mormons and evangelical types are all crazy ;)

I'm cooling my jets......I doubt I do anything further to any of those boards. I find myself growing weary of boardwaring....I hope it isn't some type of defect.

Hey, man. Forgot: Necessary caveat: "If it's the same 'john doe.'" I have no idea if it is. The name is a bit, um...generic.

But the MADB john doe seems pretty level-headed. He's one of my favorites over there--wish he posted more.

Even if he thinks I am a slimy member of the Bond posse!

Best.

CKS
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

cksalmon wrote:Even if he thinks I am a slimy member of the Bond posse!

I have to say that the one good thing that came outta this is finding out I hava a posse! I did not know that until someone said that earlier.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

You slimy slimebags!
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Hi Jayneedoe

Post by _cksalmon »

If you wouldn't mind, please tell your friend that I meant nothing personal. We're all trying to find the Truth, I think.

I hope she finds it--not "her" Truth, but "The" Truth.

I think I've got a lock on it, but I've been wrong before.

Wishing her the best.

CKS
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

here's what i'd do

Post by _Gadianton »

I went over to that forum for a couple minutes but it looked dead. An active Chapel Mormon forum serviced by the same management as FAIR's official forum would make for a wonderful testing opportunity.

You come in laid back and not identifying yourself one way or another as member or non. Just sort of say hi and check the scene for a few posts. Then, and again, without stating loyalties, find either tough questions or instances of ultra Chapel-Mormonhood. Finally, do some research on the MAAD archives (FAIR's official forum) and cut and past apologist posts as either answers to questions or challenges to uninitiated beliefs. And see if you get banned.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.