Was polygamy ONLY for raising more children??

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Sethbag wrote:Abman, you know there's a perfectly obvious way of looking at this that makes total and complete sense, unlike all the twisting and turning and mental gymnastics trying to justify it. What makes perfect sense is that Joseph Smith wanted to get in the sack with a lot of different women, and he had the example of the Old Testament prophets who practiced polygamy to give him the justification he needed.
Look at charismatic leaders throughout history that had large religious followings. One thing in common with Smith is the women fawning over him. Perhaps this happened and old Joe was a horny guy and got carried away. I am sure he tried to stop, but then again you need to look at how much respect he had for Emma and her father.. So he slipped up again, and again, and got caught. So instead of owning up to it and eatting some humble pie while Emma kick the living bejesus outta him, he whipped up the whole concoction of Old Testament polygamy and like many lies ,it snowballed.

One other thing to consider is perhaps he was schizoid and it was the other personalities that were married to the other women...

Sethbag wrote:At some point people need to step back and see the big picture, which is that the proposition that Joseph Smith made this stuff up makes total sense, and a lot of the evidence looks like we would expect it to look if he had really made it up. A lot of the apologetics, on the other hand, require mental gymnastics of the Olympian kind in order to kinda sorta make this look like it makes sense. At some point the lightbulb will go off in one's head. For me it was about two years ago. When will the lightbulb go off in your head?
He needs to turn on the light switch FIRST.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

asbestosman wrote:Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think that polygamy was because the Lord needs to raise up more children. In fact I did a biology report (at BYU) on a research paper showing that the fecundity of polygamists was lower than that of monogamists, If I recall correctly.
No disappointment here pal, it wasn't me that spewed that lie, it was from one of the pro-mormon websites spawned by the Fair/MGF marriage.

Be a good Mormon and let them know that they are LYING.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Hi All Here,

Here is Part of my Commentary (again) here, From the Zion Lighthouse Message Board, on what 'Raising Up Seed' really means in the Book of Mormon:

And Please also notice that the phrase 'raise us seed unto the Lord' does Not mean that the Lord God wants to raise up a more numerous seed. The phrase, 'raise up seed unto the Lord' in the Book of Mormon means that the Lord God wants to raise up a righteous seed; righteous children, righteous sons and daughters, unto the Lord God. Lets go through another Scriptural Passage again in the Book of Mormon to more effectively demonstrate my Point here. In Mosiah 15:10-13, the Lord God through the Book of Mormon Prophet Abinadi defines who is the seed of the Lord God. Here is Mosiah 15:10-13:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mosiah 15:10-13:
And now I say unto you, who shall declare his generation? Behold, I say unto you, that when his soul has been made an offering for sin he shall see his seed. And now what say ye? And who shall be his seed?
11 Behold I say unto you, that whosoever has heard the words of the prophets, yea, all the holy prophets who have prophesied concerning the coming of the Lord -- I say unto you, that all those who have hearkened unto their words, and believed that the Lord would redeem his people, and have looked forward to that day for a remission of their sins, I say unto you, that these are his seed, or they are heirs of the kingdom of God.
For these are they whose sins he has borne; these are they for whom he has died, to redeem them from their transgressions. And now, are they not his seed?
13 Yea, and are not the prophets, every one that has opened his mouth to prophesy, that has not fallen into transgression, I mean all the holy prophets ever since the world began? I say unto you that they are his seed.
(Bold Emphasis Mine.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the Link to that Commentary, On one of the Zion Lighthouse Message Board Thread:

Click here
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Re: Was polygamy ONLY for raising more children??

Post by _Brackite »

liz3564 wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:Funny you should mention that website; I visited it just this morning. Anyway, here's a funny little Freudian slip I caught:

The Book of Mormon clearly explains that sometimes God commands people to practice polygamy and other times he forbids it since only very righteous people can handle it. . . The Mormons practiced polygamy as commanded by God and did so for a limited time until God commanded the Prophet to end the practice.

So he's admitting that it was only during a "limited time" that the Mormons were "very righteous people"? Bwahahaha!

To follow up on this....This is a blatant contradiction of "the most righteous being saved for the last days". If WE are the most righteous, then why are we being forbidden from practicing it?

Land mines are going off in all directions! ;)

Hi Liz3564,

That is a Great and an Excellent Point, You made!
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Re: Was polygamy ONLY for raising more children??

Post by _Blixa »

liz3564 wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:Funny you should mention that website; I visited it just this morning. Anyway, here's a funny little Freudian slip I caught:

The Book of Mormon clearly explains that sometimes God commands people to practice polygamy and other times he forbids it since only very righteous people can handle it. . . The Mormons practiced polygamy as commanded by God and did so for a limited time until God commanded the Prophet to end the practice.

So he's admitting that it was only during a "limited time" that the Mormons were "very righteous people"? Bwahahaha!

To follow up on this....This is a blatant contradiction of "the most righteous being saved for the last days". If WE are the most righteous, then why are we being forbidden from practicing it?

Land mines are going off in all directions! ;)

That is indeed an interesting point, liz...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."