Home Teacher Beaten With Revolver

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_neworder
_Emeritus

Home Teacher Beaten With Revolver

Post by _neworder »

The Dangers of Home Teaching.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1538236

A Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints home teacher is supposed to provide guidance to local families, not serve as a whipping boy after an argument. But police in Spanish Fork say a man called his two home teachers, saying he needed them to come over. When they came, police say 73-year-old Carl Chandler argued with one of the home teachers, then pulled out a gun and hit the man with it.

The LDS Church says home teachers are supposed to visit families every month, and be there if they are called upon in times of need. Police have not said what made Chandler call his home teachers that day, nor what the argument was about.

Chandler was arrested on aggravated assault charges. He is scheduled for an initial court appearance Friday morning.

According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Web site, "as part of their responsibility to watch over the members of the church, home teachers visit their assigned families at least once each month to teach and strengthen them. Home teachers establish a relationship of trust with these families so that the families can call upon them in times of need."

Utah County Sheriff's Office Lt. Darren Gilbert said the incident is still under investigation.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Grandpa was pissed!
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Grandpa was pissed!

I know! I mean its obviously a bad thing that happened, but when I read that the perp was 73 it took on an undeniably comic aspect!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

See... I'm opposed to people hitting others over the head with their beliefs.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

At least the old geezer only hit the home teacher with the gun. Thank goodness he didn't do something much worse with it. . .
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:At least the old geezer only hit the home teacher with the gun. Thank goodness he didn't do something much worse with it. . .

True, but I wonder if he was gunning for them the whole time, or if it was a shot from the hip.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote:True, but I wonder if he was gunning for them the whole time, or if it was a shot from the hip.

I think that's a loaded question.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:True, but I wonder if he was gunning for them the whole time, or if it was a shot from the hip.

I think that's a loaded question.

Perhaps, but I can't help thinking the old guy should have just bit the bullet and held back rather than going off half cocked.
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Re: Home Teacher Beaten With Revolver

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

neworder wrote:The Dangers of Home Teaching.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1538236

A Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints home teacher is supposed to provide guidance to local families, not serve as a whipping boy after an argument. But police in Spanish Fork say a man called his two home teachers, saying he needed them to come over. When they came, police say 73-year-old Carl Chandler argued with one of the home teachers, then pulled out a gun and hit the man with it.

The LDS Church says home teachers are supposed to visit families every month, and be there if they are called upon in times of need. Police have not said what made Chandler call his home teachers that day, nor what the argument was about.

Chandler was arrested on aggravated assault charges. He is scheduled for an initial court appearance Friday morning.

According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Web site, "as part of their responsibility to watch over the members of the church, home teachers visit their assigned families at least once each month to teach and strengthen them. Home teachers establish a relationship of trust with these families so that the families can call upon them in times of need."

Utah County Sheriff's Office Lt. Darren Gilbert said the incident is still under investigation.

Home teacher: "Good afternoon, brother Chandler (they shake hands). Hey, is that a gun in your pocket or are you happy to see me, he he he."
Chandler: "It's a gun."

We all know the rest of the story.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Some Schmo wrote:See... I'm opposed to people hitting others over the head with their beliefs.

Would that tend to put a crimp in the style of many fundamentalists if they were unable to beat you over the head with their Bibles?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace