The Lost 116 Pages - Evidence of a Tight Translation?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Who Knows wrote:Wow, I feel so cool now. This is like the first actual thing I've ever contributed to the boards.

Now I know how all you smart people feel all the time. :)

Now I can only hang out with PP and Mercury. Dagnabit!
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Wow, I feel so cool now. This is like the first actual thing I've ever contributed to the boards.

Now I know how all you smart people feel all the time.

Well, you know what that means. It's time to ordain you a.... PUNDIT. ;)

Seriously, I wish someone would bring this up on MAD. I'm curious as to how they will spin it.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

beastie wrote:GEEZ! Why didn't I think of this? I have dissected this whole tight/loose debate, and this never, never occurred to me.

I agree! First CaliforniaKid unveils his Martin Harris epiphany in the Celestial Forum, and now this from Who Knows. That's two breakthroughs in one day, and it all happened here on MormonDiscussions.com.

Wow, I feel so cool now. This is like the first actual thing I've ever contributed to the boards.

Hold your head up, Who Knows! That contribution was EXCELLENT!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Dr. Shades wrote:I agree! First CaliforniaKid unveils his Martin Harris epiphany in the Celestial Forum, and now this from Who Knows. That's two breakthroughs in one day, and it all happened here on MormonDiscussions.com.

Not to put a premature end to my five minutes of fame, but the Martin Harris epiphany belongs to Don. :-(

Good job Don!! 3 cheers for the Bradleymeister!!
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

CaliforniaKid wrote:Not to put a premature end to my five minutes of fame, but the Martin Harris epiphany belongs to Don. :-(

Nope. I'm referring to what you said about how Martin Harris is documented as having wandered away from Smith, Cowdery, and Whitmer, and while he was gone he probably donned a new outfit, hid his face, and played the role of the angel who appeared to the others in his "absence."

So the fame is all yours. :-)
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Dr. Shades wrote:
CaliforniaKid wrote:Not to put a premature end to my five minutes of fame, but the Martin Harris epiphany belongs to Don. :-(

Nope. I'm referring to what you said about how Martin Harris is documented as having wandered away from Smith, Cowdery, and Whitmer, and while he was gone he probably donned a new outfit, hid his face, and played the role of the angel who appeared to the others in his "absence."

So the fame is all yours. :-)

Oh, that epiphany. Well, I must admit that I stole that idea from somebody who once speculated that the "angel Moroni" that frequently appeared to Joseph Smith was in fact Sidney Rigdon masquerading as such.

-CK
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

CaliforniaKid wrote:Oh, that epiphany. Well, I must admit that I stole that idea from somebody who once speculated that the "angel Moroni" that frequently appeared to Joseph Smith was in fact Sidney Rigdon masquerading as such.

Ah, but Celestial Kingdom, stealing has a venerable history in Mormonism (according to some views).

Don
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

DonBradley wrote:
CaliforniaKid wrote:Oh, that epiphany. Well, I must admit that I stole that idea from somebody who once speculated that the "angel Moroni" that frequently appeared to Joseph Smith was in fact Sidney Rigdon masquerading as such.

Ah, but Celestial Kingdom, stealing has a venerable history in Mormonism (according to some views).

Don

Would that be the stealing of wives from one's closest associates? Perhaps we eligible bachelors ought to take a page from that book...
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Who Knows wrote:Wow, I feel so cool now. This is like the first actual thing I've ever contributed to the boards.

It is a good point WK.

But maybe, after Joseph Smith was punished for giving the ms to Harris, he learned how to do really cool "loose" translations and that's how he did the rest of the Book of Mormon.

Who is the biggest-name proponent of loose translation? Is in Brant Gardner?
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:

Now I can only hang out with PP and Mercury. Dagnabit!

Come on over!

Sincerely, the low men in yellow coats.

(this is a Stephen King reference for the clueless
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning