Does the teaching method in LDS Primary equal brainwashing?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Some Schmo wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:SS,

I couldn't give a s*** less about hurting anyone on this board much less you. You're comments and "style" are Juliannesque and if I continue to respond to you (which I won't) it will produce the MAD effect that runs threads off the topical road.

Clearly you don't give a s***. It's little wonder people don't really care what you say. Why would they?

Well, except for the entertainment value. It's always fun to laugh at people.

I came to this realization a while ago. Whenever you ask jersey a question or call her out make sure to be prepared for her making an ass out of herself...repeatedly.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Jersey Girl wrote:I think folks are missing the developmental boat on some level because the children who are being taught about the shall we say, infallibility of the Prophets are going to become adolescents who naturally question and begin to separate from their parent's instruction at least for a while, and who have access to the Internet just like we all do.Let's hope that the strong core values remain with them regardless of their religious views.

Be careful about the messages that you send to your children, they'll either come back to make you proud or haunt you!

Lindsay Lohan
Britney Spears

'nuff said.

Spoken like a true teacher.

Amen!

;)
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Some Schmo wrote:
DonBradley wrote:The term "brain washing" was invented to describe Viet Namese methods of mental coercion on POWs--including heavy use of physical torture and deprivation. Since neither LDS nor other US religions (e.g., "the Moonies") use such methods, they don't "brain wash." The term is applied to them only, and precisely, because of its negative connotations--I.e., it is not a description, but a slur.

I think it's the negative connotations that are the point. Using the term is a value judgement.

Does the "acculturation" involve mostly good teachings? Then no, not brain washing. Does the "acculturation" involve mostly bad teachings? Then yes, brain washing.

When people say the church is brain washing the members, they're saying that what people are being mentally conditioned to think is bad.

So yeah, I think they're being brainwashed.

I agree with both of you here.

So, where do we go from here?

It looks like what is taught in LDS Primary could be termed as "brain-washing" by those who don't agree with the teachings of the LDS Church.

The question is...does that make what is taught in Primary necessarily "bad" for children? Or is it simply enforcing values that the children would be taught by their parents anyway?

And...do we even have a consensus on what is taught in Primary? So far, it seems that we have a difference of opinion on what has been witnessed to be taught. And what has been witnessed taught has not necessarily meshed with what the Church says should be taught.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Mercury wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:

I couldn't give a s*** less about hurting anyone on this board much less you. You're comments and "style" are Juliannesque and if I continue to respond to you (which I won't) it will produce the MAD effect that runs threads off the topical road.

Clearly you don't give a s***. It's little wonder people don't really care what you say. Why would they?

I came to this realization a while ago. Whenever you ask jersey a question or call her out make sure to be prepared for her making an ass out of herself...repeatedly.

Where did she make an ass of herself? She is highly educated, and utilized her knowledge of early childhood education concepts in furthering her points.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

liz3564 wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:

Where did she make an ass of herself? She is highly educated, and utilized her knowledge of early childhood education concepts in furthering her points.

She is comparing Schmo to Julian.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Liz,

Based on PP's comments, your own and my personal experiences, I don't see where the Primary lessons or approaches used are any different than any other churches religious curriculum content. I have to tell you this...just as an aside. I taught SS in my church for three years. The lessons were BORING and I felt not age appropriate. I mean..every other week it seemed the lesson plans called for children to make a Bible marker (book mark)...okay....have any of the folks who produced the lesson plans noticed that 3-4-5 year olds can't read? Anyway, I of course did my own thing. One day, I was teaching about Aquila and Pricilla...tent makers. So, I had the pastor bring in his dome tent so that when you opened the classroom door, you had to walk into the tent for that days session of SS.

It was probably the second Sunday that I taught in this SB church. After SS, an adult male came by, took one look in the room and then asked "So you're the new teacher, eh?" and I said "Yes and the tent belongs to the Pastor!"

Anyway, the description that you guys gave and going on descriptions by one of my friends about Sharing Time, etc. it looks alot like a combination of what some chuches do for "Children's Church" and Sunday School. I see nothing there that is any different than what goes on in other churches.

Okay, I think I rambled on this one! But what else is new?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Merc wrote:She is comparing Schmo to Julian.

Hmmm...I'll admit that's a stretch. I have a soft spot for Schmo.

;)
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

liz3564 wrote:
Merc wrote:She is comparing Schmo to Julian.

Hmmm...I'll admit that's a stretch. I have a soft spot for Schmo.

;)

Correction: I compared his off topic remarks with Juliann's off topic remarks that result in thread derailment.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Mercury wrote:She is comparing Schmo to Julian.

Well, Schmo was behaving like Juliann behaves. So if the shoe fits the Schmo... wear it!
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Jersey Girl wrote:Liz,

Based on PP's comments, your own and my personal experiences, I don't see where the Primary lessons or approaches used are any different than any other churches religious curriculum content. I have to tell you this...just as an aside. I taught SS in my church for three years. The lessons were BORING and I felt not age appropriate. I mean..every other week it seemed the lesson plans called for children to make a Bible marker (book mark)...okay....have any of the folks who produced the lesson plans noticed that 3-4-5 year olds can't read? Anyway, I of course did my own thing. One day, I was teaching about Aquila and Pricilla...tent makers. So, I had the pastor bring in his dome tent so that when you opened the classroom door, you had to walk into the tent for that days session of SS.

It was probably the second Sunday that I taught in this SB church. After SS, an adult male came by, took one look in the room and then asked "So you're the new teacher, eh?" and I said "Yes and the tent belongs to the Pastor!"

Anyway, the description that you guys gave and going on descriptions by one of my friends about Sharing Time, etc. it looks alot like a combination of what some chuches do for "Children's Church" and Sunday School. I see nothing there that is any different than what goes on in other churches.

Okay, I think I rambled on this one! But what else is new?

Jersey Girl

That's a great teaching idea! Love it! ;)

That's the thing. I tend to "do my own thing" too when teaching Primary or youth aged Sunday School.

There's nothing wrong with being creative.

You and I are definitely on the same page on this issue. I do have to hand it to PP. This has been a great discussion. ;)

OK....going into derailing mode...answering your question about what's new...LOL....Not much...except that I'm bummed about having to teach over the summer. :(