Does the teaching method in LDS Primary equal brainwashing?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

monkeys
I know that I have been reading about PAS (my step-son was systematically alienated from his father) before I took any early education courses and understood then what a horrific thing it was to do to a child. Now, I have a better grasp of what a toil it takes on a young mind.

And of course it carries over through out their life. Although sometimes adult children can realize that they were alienated from one parent and then turn against the alienator.

People who do this fail to realize that the messages we send to children about their parents are "heard" as messages to the child about themselves.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

SS
LOL... alrighty then.

So let me get this straight. You accuse people of needing to "get a grip." I suggested you "may" (as in "could" "maybe" "perhaps") not fully understand what people mean because you hadn't been there yourself, and somehow that became a personal attack. Then you get all snippy with me, telling me to bite you (I would, but I don't think I'd like the taste; you seem rather bitter), but apparently, none of this matters because I can't "deal" with the points you raised.

Why would I bother to deal with your points when you appear to be completely irrational about the subject? You made it personal, not me.

Maybe I will "deal" with whatever points you make when you decide the stick you got firmly rammed up your ass gets too uncomfortable and you decide to remove it. You are getting from me exactly what you're giving out.

Entertaining though. I'll give you that.

Your comments above are no different than those of an LDS apologist. Take away the profanity and what you have left is Juliann.
Chinese Proverb
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:SS
LOL... alrighty then.

So let me get this straight. You accuse people of needing to "get a grip." I suggested you "may" (as in "could" "maybe" "perhaps") not fully understand what people mean because you hadn't been there yourself, and somehow that became a personal attack. Then you get all snippy with me, telling me to bite you (I would, but I don't think I'd like the taste; you seem rather bitter), but apparently, none of this matters because I can't "deal" with the points you raised.

Why would I bother to deal with your points when you appear to be completely irrational about the subject? You made it personal, not me.

Maybe I will "deal" with whatever points you make when you decide the stick you got firmly rammed up your ass gets too uncomfortable and you decide to remove it. You are getting from me exactly what you're giving out.

Entertaining though. I'll give you that.

Your comments above are no different than those of an LDS apologist. Take away the profanity and what you have left is Juliann.

LMAO... I guess that was intended to hurt.

Keep em coming. Great stuff!
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

SS,

I couldn't give a s*** less about hurting anyone on this board much less you. You're comments and "style" are Juliannesque and if I continue to respond to you (which I won't) it will produce the MAD effect that runs threads off the topical road.
Chinese Proverb
_A Light in the Darkness
_Emeritus

Post by _A Light in the Darkness »

1) It's not "brainwashing" anymore than an elementary civics class is.

2) Children have legal rights. That's why we aren't allowed to abuse or neglect them.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Jersey Girl wrote:
People who do this fail to realize that the messages we send to children about their parents are "heard" as messages to the child about themselves.

***edited personal information***

Jersey, why are you so darn smart? :)
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Hey, I dunno, I'm a freakin' genius in disguise, that's why! LOL!

You have blonde hair like your Father
You have your Father's eyes
You're a good baseball player like your Father
Your Father was a piece of crap

I am blond
I have blue eyes
I am a good baseball player
I am a piece of crap

Hey! Erikson had nothing on me, lady!
Chinese Proverb
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Jersey Girl wrote:Hey, I dunno, I'm a freakin' genius in disguise, that's why! LOL!

I am blond
I have blue eyes
I am a piece of crap

LOL! You should be nestled in between Piaget and Erikson in the text books.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Hey, I dunno, I'm a freakin' genius in disguise, that's why! LOL!

I am blond
I have blue eyes
I am a piece of crap

LOL! You should be nestled in between Piaget and Erikson in the text books.

I am! I'm the one crawling around on the floor on any given weekday! I just wanted to say one more thing (because it's near impossible for me to extract myself from a thread like this but I'm gonna do it, I swear!).

I honestly think that when it comes to the LDS church and culture, there are bigger fish to fry than what's being taught in Primary. If more parents were involved in transmitting values like LDS are there wouldn't be a need for character education as a curriculum component in our schools today.

I think folks are missing the developmental boat on some level because the children who are being taught about the shall we say, infallibility of the Prophets are going to become adolescents who naturally question and begin to separate from their parent's instruction at least for a while, and who have access to the Internet just like we all do.Let's hope that the strong core values remain with them regardless of their religious views.

Be careful about the messages that you send to your children, they'll either come back to make you proud or haunt you!

Lindsay Lohan
Britney Spears

'nuff said.
Chinese Proverb
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:SS,

I couldn't give a s*** less about hurting anyone on this board much less you. You're comments and "style" are Juliannesque and if I continue to respond to you (which I won't) it will produce the MAD effect that runs threads off the topical road.

Clearly you don't give a s***. It's little wonder people don't really care what you say. Why would they?

Well, except for the entertainment value. It's always fun to laugh at people.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.