Does the teaching method in LDS Primary equal brainwashing?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Jersey Girl wrote:Liz,

Based on PP's comments, your own and my personal experiences, I don't see where the Primary lessons or approaches used are any different than any other churches religious curriculum content. I have to tell you this...just as an aside. I taught SS in my church for three years. The lessons were BORING and I felt not age appropriate. I mean..every other week it seemed the lesson plans called for children to make a Bible marker (book mark)...okay....have any of the folks who produced the lesson plans noticed that 3-4-5 year olds can't read? Anyway, I of course did my own thing. One day, I was teaching about Aquila and Pricilla...tent makers. So, I had the pastor bring in his dome tent so that when you opened the classroom door, you had to walk into the tent for that days session of SS.

It was probably the second Sunday that I taught in this SB church. After SS, an adult male came by, took one look in the room and then asked "So you're the new teacher, eh?" and I said "Yes and the tent belongs to the Pastor!"

Anyway, the description that you guys gave and going on descriptions by one of my friends about Sharing Time, etc. it looks alot like a combination of what some chuches do for "Children's Church" and Sunday School. I see nothing there that is any different than what goes on in other churches.

Okay, I think I rambled on this one! But what else is new?

Jersey Girl

I love tent idea. What a great way to teach that they'll remember long after they've forgotten everything else they learned. And the refrigerator box/time machine thing was genius. How cool!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

liz3564 wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Liz,

Based on PP's comments, your own and my personal experiences, I don't see where the Primary lessons or approaches used are any different than any other churches religious curriculum content. I have to tell you this...just as an aside. I taught SS in my church for three years. The lessons were BORING and I felt not age appropriate. I mean..every other week it seemed the lesson plans called for children to make a Bible marker (book mark)...okay....have any of the folks who produced the lesson plans noticed that 3-4-5 year olds can't read? Anyway, I of course did my own thing. One day, I was teaching about Aquila and Pricilla...tent makers. So, I had the pastor bring in his dome tent so that when you opened the classroom door, you had to walk into the tent for that days session of SS.

It was probably the second Sunday that I taught in this SB church. After SS, an adult male came by, took one look in the room and then asked "So you're the new teacher, eh?" and I said "Yes and the tent belongs to the Pastor!"

Anyway, the description that you guys gave and going on descriptions by one of my friends about Sharing Time, etc. it looks alot like a combination of what some chuches do for "Children's Church" and Sunday School. I see nothing there that is any different than what goes on in other churches.

Okay, I think I rambled on this one! But what else is new?

Jersey Girl

That's a great teaching idea! Love it! ;)

That's the thing. I tend to "do my own thing" too when teaching Primary or youth aged Sunday School.

There's nothing wrong with being creative.

You and I are definitely on the same page on this issue. I do have to hand it to PP. This has been a great discussion. ;)

OK....going into derailing mode...answering your question about what's new...LOL....Not much...except that I'm bummed about having to teach over the summer. :(

Oh so you wanna know how I taught the story of Jonah? Thanks for asking! (lol) Do you have times when your grown ups tell you to do a thing or to stop doing a thing, but you do it anyway? What happens when they find out? Oh, you go to time out? Our Bible has a story about a man named Jonah who didn't do what God wanted him to do and you will NEVER GUESS where he went to time out! Great fish...blah blah blah....we painted with Rainbow Trout that day!

I've been off most of the summer, only working for a week or few days here and there! You need a break!!!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Jersey Girl wrote:Oh so you wanna know how I taught the story of Jonah? Thanks for asking! (lol) Do you have times when your grown ups tell you to do a thing or to stop doing a thing, but you do it anyway? What happens when they find out? Oh, you go to time out? Our Bible has a story about a man named Jonah who didn't do what God wanted him to do and you will NEVER GUESS where he went to time out! Great fish...blah blah blah....we painted with Rainbow Trout that day!

That's great!

I've been off most of the summer, only working for a week or few days here and there! You need a break!!!

Tell me about it. If I can white knuckle it until mid-August, I'll be good. I have a week off when I take my oldest daughter out to school. Then it's back to the grind. *sigh*
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

harmony wrote:
Mercury wrote:She is comparing Schmo to Julian.

Well, Schmo was behaving like Juliann behaves. So if the shoe fits the Schmo... wear it!

Wow... people are losing credibility all over the place here.

What the hell are you talking about?

If anything, Jersey Girl was reminding me of Juliann, and I've never been one to debate shrill, hypersensitive women who act tough to mask whatever's really going on.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Some Schmo wrote:
harmony wrote:
Mercury wrote:She is comparing Schmo to Julian.

Well, Schmo was behaving like Juliann behaves. So if the shoe fits the Schmo... wear it!

Wow... people are losing credibility all over the place here.

What the hell are you talking about?

If anything, Jersey Girl was reminding me of Juliann, and I've never been one to debate shrill, hypersensitive women who act tough to mask whatever's really going on.

Juliann invents and twists definitions of words to fit what she says they mean, which is usually not even close.

Ruby slippers, anyone?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

liz3564 wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Oh so you wanna know how I taught the story of Jonah? Thanks for asking! (lol) Do you have times when your grown ups tell you to do a thing or to stop doing a thing, but you do it anyway? What happens when they find out? Oh, you go to time out? Our Bible has a story about a man named Jonah who didn't do what God wanted him to do and you will NEVER GUESS where he went to time out! Great fish...blah blah blah....we painted with Rainbow Trout that day!

That's great!

Tell me about it. If I can white knuckle it until mid-August, I'll be good. I have a week off when I take my oldest daughter out to school. Then it's back to the grind. *sigh*

Just hang on! This is the first summer I've had truly off in 3 years and my gosh it's been wonderful!

Now, I did want to make a comment that actually relates to what PP was forwarding. We need to remember that all and I mean ALL religious instruction for children in our churches is done by willing volunteers who either feel called or are called to do it. As you stated previously, Liz, parents need to be involved and keep one ear to the ground about what 's going on in those classroom environments because even though we'd like to think that those who teach our children in churches are educated and/or intrinsically seem to understand what the children need, every once in a while a real stinker gets put in charge of the department or a class!

I've always thought that parents should be required to do rotations in the children's ministries. That doesn't mean they need to hold the Primary Presidency, but get in there and help out so they can weed out the bad apples if there are any and be involved in what their children are learning!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

harmony wrote: Juliann invents and twists definitions of words to fit what she says they mean, which is usually not even close.

True, but what does that have to do with me?
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Some Schmo wrote:
harmony wrote: Juliann invents and twists definitions of words to fit what she says they mean, which is usually not even close.

Yeah... I didn't really think you had anything.

"Hmmm... What do I say, what do I say? I have no argument... Oh! I know! We can play the Juliann card! That'll get him!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's awesome. The irony is that's just the kind of thing she would do. Criticize the ad hom with an ad hom. Looks like you ladies are all cut from the same cloth. Again....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

PP wrote:
liz3564 wrote:Quote:
If you attend a Sunday School class in another Church, the kids are going to participate, and they are going to be taught things about that religion. And you're right. These kids don't have the ability to decipher things for themselves at a young age. That's what their parents are for. The parents have to decide what type of environment to raise their children in. It's also important for the parents to dialogue with kids beyond Sunday School, Primary, school, any type of organization where the kids are out of that parent's immediate care. As a parent, you have a responsibility to be involved in that organization. Come sit in the back of the room, or sit with your child's class. Be involved! If you don't like what's happening, change it, or yank them out.

You are so entrenched in the culture of LDS you cannot even see what your just wrote.

Not agreeing with the status quo in LDS is strictly verboten. The culture does not allow that.

You have no say what so ever when it comes to the content of the manuals, lessons, and curriculum.

PP...I don't understand what you mean by this. As a parent, I have the right to decide what my children participate in and what they don't. It's true that I can't change LDS curriculum, but I can decide what I choose to let them take in, and it's also my responsibility to discuss things with them and explain things the way I see fit.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Some Schmo wrote:

Actually, I think you guys are confusing Schmo with WK. He presented a different definition for brainwashing.