So... What the heck does "spiritual" mean anyway?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Some Schmo wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:
Tarski wrote:never mind

ditto

Ahhh, come on! I bet this was good!

:)
ROFL!
_Dulcinea
_Emeritus

Re: So... What the heck does "spiritual" mean anyw

Post by _Dulcinea »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Dulcinea wrote:
Book of Mormon, You describe succulently what I would call a connection to the Source.

Haha. When I think of my experiences I think; Whoa! That was cool. Let's do that again. ;P

Or I think; WTF? Maybe this shouldn't be something that I should allow to overwhelm me because maybe there is a God and I'm screwed for sure.

Either way it's a total ;p moment for me.

;P

Why in the world would you think that you would be screwed if there is a God? Do you feel that you are living your life in a way that would be displeasing to God (as if that were really possible - but that is for a different thread I believe), or are others telling you as such? You have to do what you feel in your heart is right - another person's version of what God is might not apply to you. You are just as much a child of God (or the cosmos, or whatever) as anyone else on this planet, and your experiences and perspectives are just as valid as anyone else's. We are each the prophet of our own hearts.

For example, I am the 4th out of 5 children, and there is a gap of over 10 years between me and the older three. My oldest sister thinks my parents are certain people, because from her perspective and experiences, they were. However, from my perspective and experience, they are quite different people. Which one of us is right? We BOTH are. I was so glad to hear what you had described! I feel these experiences to be a gift, and look for them constantly. I will say that some things that are taught by organized religion can help (like fasting for example - I have a very strong testimony of this) to get there, but not for all people. It makes me sad to see folks get so caught up in "details" (or the letter of the law, as they say) that they miss the "spirit" of the law, or that which sets us free.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Re: So... What the heck does "spiritual" mean anyw

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Dulcinea wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:
Dulcinea wrote:
Book of Mormon, You describe succulently what I would call a connection to the Source.

Haha. When I think of my experiences I think; Whoa! That was cool. Let's do that again. ;P

Or I think; WTF? Maybe this shouldn't be something that I should allow to overwhelm me because maybe there is a God and I'm screwed for sure.

Either way it's a total ;p moment for me.

;P

Why in the world would you think that you would be screwed if there is a God? Do you feel that you are living your life in a way that would be displeasing to God (as if that were really possible - but that is for a different thread I believe), or are others telling you as such?

Well I reject God. So if God is the God that many religions believe he is I'd imagine He wouldn't be too pleased with me. Of course if God is asleep at the wheel (which I've contemplated in the past) I guess he doesn't care either way.

You have to do what you feel in your heart is right - another person's version of what God is might not apply to you. You are just as much a child of God (or the cosmos, or whatever) as anyone else on this planet, and your experiences and perspectives are just as valid as anyone else's. We are each the prophet of our own hearts.

You're so sweet!

For example, I am the 4th out of 5 children, and there is a gap of over 10 years between me and the older three. My oldest sister thinks my parents are certain people, because from her perspective and experiences, they were. However, from my perspective and experience, they are quite different people. Which one of us is right? We BOTH are. I was so glad to hear what you had described! I feel these experiences to be a gift, and look for them constantly. I will say that some things that are taught by organized religion can help (like fasting for example - I have a very strong testimony of this) to get there, but not for all people. It makes me sad to see folks get so caught up in "details" (or the letter of the law, as they say) that they miss the "spirit" of the law, or that which sets us free.

Well I have felt joy from life and the earth's bounty. I just don't tie it to any religion. I also don't necessarily believe it's more than just enjoying the here and now. Who can fault me for that? Surely not God. ;)