So... What the heck does "spiritual" mean anyway?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote: I think it is in our very nature to feel God (or whatever it is that I feel) and when I allow myself to do so I feel ecstasy that is meaningful to me. Why is this harmful? Who should I hand my fleece to?

So you can explain the church through a spiritual fun money fund?

People pay for drugs, I guess this is not any different.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Mercury wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote: I think it is in our very nature to feel God (or whatever it is that I feel) and when I allow myself to do so I feel ecstasy that is meaningful to me. Why is this harmful? Who should I hand my fleece to?

So you can explain the church through a spiritual fun money fund?

People pay for drugs, I guess this is not any different.

Mercury, I've never paid for drugs or hallelujahs!

Are you just trying to be an ass to me or did you really not get my point? I don't believe feeling the toe curling, spiritual ecstasy that I sometimes experience is necessarily a bad thing. I don't view it as a virus. If anything I'm rather alarmed that I squelch this state of mind/emotion/whatever. I do so because I don't want to feel crazy. It's awful feeling as if there's more every so often and then come back down to earth and realize it's all simply in my brain. I want to get past this sense of trepidation and embrace it completely.

I don't know what it is that occurs within much of humanity. I don't view it as dangerous. Religion can be dangerous. I don't believe religion is always dangerous. Why is what I experience dangerous... or in ANY way contributed to any church?
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Some Schmo wrote:
Shrooms? Definitely. But not like acid, I'd say.

I'm not following you.

One might say I'm spiritual because of my LSD background.

Do you think you're more spiritual (do you think you are spiritual at all, whatever that term means for you) because of it?
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:
Shrooms? Definitely. But not like acid, I'd say.

I'm not following you.

One might say I'm spiritual because of my LSD background.

Do you think you're more spiritual (do you think you are spiritual at all, whatever that term means for you) because of it?

I'm saying that based on my limitied experience with both drugs (mushrooms and LSD) in my younger years, I had more enlightening experiences with LSD.

But no, I do not think I'm more or less "spiritual" (long term) due to that handful of experiences.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

never mind
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Tarski wrote:never mind

ditto
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Tarski wrote:never mind

ditto

Ahhh, come on! I bet this was good!

:)
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Dulcinea
_Emeritus

Re: So... What the heck does "spiritual" mean anyw

Post by _Dulcinea »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:This is mostly for the atheists / agnostics / humanists / secularists / naturalists among us, but of course, anyone can join in. I'm not a thread nazi.

(Oh oh... thread closed due to Godwin's Law before it even gets started. Crap).

Well, in case they let that one go, tell me: do you think there is such a thing as spirituality which is actually a separate component of a person's being like the physical, emotional or mental? If so, what do you mean by that?

My personal opinion is that it's simply a mental construct, and is just another name for a certain emotional state (perhaps it's an emotional construct?)

What do you think?

Hi Schmo, I saw your question earlier and thought about it some. Spiritual to me means that I'm peaceful and feel elevated in a sense. Of course this is probably because I have done something atrocious to my brain in the past. I am often overcome by euphoria associated with beauty, especially that which is found in nature.

For me it's a feeling that there is purpose and that I'm not alone... when I have these "spiritual" experiences I do not feel alone and actually feel enveloped in warmth and love. I more often than not halt these moments, they startle me, and I hate to really consider that I may be wrong, there is a God and I deny Him. So, that's what it means to me.

So I don't really know how to answer your question. I just know that I have experienced something that I label a spiritual experience.

Book of Mormon, You describe succulently what I would call a connection to the Source. It is what I refer to when discussing spirituality. It is sometimes a feeling, sometimes a physical sensation, sometimes inspiration, but always identifiable. For me, it is the moment when the mind (or consciousness, or whatever) is able to see past the layers of the concentrated atomic matter that I call "me" and dance, groove, harmonize with the underlying energy in that composes reality. It is at once physical and psychological. I first encountered this experience while utilizing canabanoids, as the substance enabled the overtly analytical aspect of the brain (not sure where it lies exactly - left brain, perhaps?) to explore aspects of consciousness through meditation that spread beyond my normal perceptions. Later, with LSD, I was able to travel into deeper levels within myself, and lastly with psilocybin, explored outside of my own personal energy field (realizing, ironically, that all energy fields are in fact, connected on a quantum level, and that in a hokey hippie way - LOL - we are all, in fact, one organism, but I digress).

I think we get a little too caught up in semantics, at times, and miss the subtleties. I have had some of my most profound "Spiritual" or "Source" connections through the practice of Yoga, and I didn't realize at the time that Yoga was what I was doing. I just thought I was stretching to feel comfortable. I see the body as a temple (and I did before I joined the Church) - almost like a collection of little temples - and the cells and organs and whatnot are all subjects of the greater goal (the continuation of life). Energy composes the body (from a scientific perspective) and I believe the idea of "Spirituality" is simply allowing the body to be unified by consciousness, and then to recognize the unity within the greater energy. This is most easily done in nature, surrounded by that which we can not attribute to our "selves", at least for me initially.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Re: So... What the heck does "spiritual" mean anyw

Dulcinea wrote:
Book of Mormon, You describe succulently what I would call a connection to the Source. It is what I refer to when discussing spirituality. It is sometimes a feeling, sometimes a physical sensation, sometimes inspiration, but always identifiable. For me, it is the moment when the mind (or consciousness, or whatever) is able to see past the layers of the concentrated atomic matter that I call "me" and dance, groove, harmonize with the underlying energy in that composes reality. It is at once physical and psychological. I first encountered this experience while utilizing canabanoids, as the substance enabled the overtly analytical aspect of the brain (not sure where it lies exactly - left brain, perhaps?) to explore aspects of consciousness through meditation that spread beyond my normal perceptions. Later, with LSD, I was able to travel into deeper levels within myself, and lastly with psilocybin, explored outside of my own personal energy field (realizing, ironically, that all energy fields are in fact, connected on a quantum level, and that in a hokey hippie way - LOL - we are all, in fact, one organism, but I digress).

I think we get a little too caught up in semantics, at times, and miss the subtleties. I have had some of my most profound "Spiritual" or "Source" connections through the practice of Yoga, and I didn't realize at the time that Yoga was what I was doing. I just thought I was stretching to feel comfortable. I see the body as a temple (and I did before I joined the Church) - almost like a collection of little temples - and the cells and organs and whatnot are all subjects of the greater goal (the continuation of life). Energy composes the body (from a scientific perspective) and I believe the idea of "Spirituality" is simply allowing the body to be unified by consciousness, and then to recognize the unity within the greater energy. This is most easily done in nature, surrounded by that which we can not attribute to our "selves", at least for me initially.

Haha. When I think of my experiences I think; Whoa! That was cool. Let's do that again. ;P

Or I think; WTF? Maybe this shouldn't be something that I should allow to overwhelm me because maybe there is a God and I'm screwed for sure.

Either way it's a total ;p moment for me.

;P
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Or it could be that I'm being silly and flippant cause I need to go to sleep.

That is a distinct possibility.