New LDS Pamphlet About them Evil Homos

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

New LDS Pamphlet About them Evil Homos

Post by _Who Knows »

Here's the Salt Lake Tribune article.

The LDS Church has posted the contents of a new pamphlet about same-sex attraction on its Web site.
The piece, titled "God Loveth His Children," reiterates the church's long-held distinction between same-sex attractions and actions, suggesting that only the latter are immoral. According to LDS doctrine, sexuality is only appropriate within heterosexual marriage. Everyone else is expected to be chaste.

It acknowledges that some singles, homosexual and heterosexual, may never marry in this life, but "will be perfected in the next life so that every one of God's children may find joy in a family consisting of a husband, a wife, and children.

"God Loveth His Children" recommends that homosexuals continue to be active in the church, contributing money and time. It urges them to find therapists who share their Mormon values and suggests that they not "flaunt" their homosexuality or endlessly discuss it.
"It is better to choose as friends those who do not publicly display their homosexual feelings," the pamphlet says.

Sorry, i was looking for just a couple interesting sentences, but all of the above is too good to pass up posting here.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: New LDS Pamphlet About them Evil Homos

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Who Knows wrote:Here's the Salt Lake Tribune article.

The LDS Church has posted the contents of a new pamphlet about same-sex attraction on its Web site.
The piece, titled "God Loveth His Children," reiterates the church's long-held distinction between same-sex attractions and actions, suggesting that only the latter are immoral. According to LDS doctrine, sexuality is only appropriate within heterosexual marriage. Everyone else is expected to be chaste.

It acknowledges that some singles, homosexual and heterosexual, may never marry in this life, but "will be perfected in the next life so that every one of God's children may find joy in a family consisting of a husband, a wife, and children.

"God Loveth His Children" recommends that homosexuals continue to be active in the church, contributing money and time. It urges them to find therapists who share their Mormon values and suggests that they not "flaunt" their homosexuality or endlessly discuss it.
"It is better to choose as friends those who do not publicly display their homosexual feelings," the pamphlet says.

Sorry, I was looking for just a couple interesting sentences, but all of the above is too good to pass up posting here.

Wow. It seems that the Brethren are really digging in their heels on this issue. The life they are advocating for gays is akin to that of an ascetic: celibate, silent, and basically drained of everything save his/her servitude. Also intriguing to me is the Church's effort to control the flow of information. Kind of disturbing.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Mister Scratch wrote:

Sorry, I was looking for just a couple interesting sentences, but all of the above is too good to pass up posting here.

Wow. It seems that the Brethren are really digging in their heels on this issue. The life they are advocating for gays is akin to that of an ascetic: celibate, silent, and basically drained of everything save his/her servitude. Also intriguing to me is the Church's effort to control the flow of information. Kind of disturbing.

I especially like "continue..contributing money and time".

Hey, it's a business.
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

For crying out loud, can't they just call it "God loves his children" why must they use "loveth"? Do they think they're Shakespear?
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Loveth? I know this is off topic, but why are they still speaking in Jacobean English, pray tell? Gadzooks, me thinketh it be the days of yore.

Deacons prepareth the Sacrament
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I wish they'd just crap or get off the pot on this issue.....they keep dancing around homosexuality like it's a hot fire during winter, too hot to touch but it's too cool to get too far away from. Honestly they (and I mean "they" as in all these religious homophobes who are homophobes because some archaic thing written 3500 years or whatever says gays are bad) either need to move up a couple of thousand years in their thinking or they need to be man enough to say "we don't agree with your lifestyle/sexuality, and consequently we'd like you to go elsewhere." I'd have alot more respect for these groups if they'd at least make a decision one way or the other.....for or against. This dancing around "hate the sin, love the sinner" stuff is a cop out in my opinion.

Was that a rant....felt like one....end of rant.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Tarski wrote:
I especially like "continue..contributing money and time".

Hey, it's a business.

Yeah. i loved that part too.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew