Was Eternal Marriage ever a doctrine of early Christianity?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Re: Was Eternal Marriage ever a doctrine of early Christiani

Post by _cksalmon »

liz3564 wrote:I'm fine with eternal marriage. I'm actually fine with plural marriage as long as it's something that ALL parties want. What I'm not OK with is plural marriage being a supposed "requirement" for exaltation.

Hi Liz--

Isn't it, though? Seriously, I thought it was. As I understand LDS doctrine, plural marriage was a requirement for early LDS, was later put on temporary suspension for time, but will be the rule in eternity. Is there extant revelation that teaches that plural marriage in the hereafter is not a requirement for exaltation--even if it is not a requirement for the mortal Saints of today?

Best.

CKS
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Was the Gospel of Phillip written "early" or by "Christians"? *Shrugs*

Ultimately though, the joining of a man and a woman into "one flesh" was considered a mystery (Ephesians 5... I think verse 30-something). But, I guess that doesn’t help us much here.

The only other thing I can think of would be the whole little "G-d married Adam and Eve and the things G-d does can't be undone."

Honestly though, I've thought of revisiting that thread of Celestial Kingdom's many times as I think it deserves to be addressed more carefully and fully. But as of yet, I can't really think of anything solid enough to warrant digging it up again.

Kudos to Celestial Kingdom. He developed one hell of an argument with the Enochic literature in my opinion; one that still has me scratching my noggin.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

When Adam and Eve were married in the garden of Eden they were both Immortal beings. The Fall had not yet occured, therefore it was performed as and intended to be an eternal marriage.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:When Adam and Eve were married in the garden of Eden they were both Immortal beings. The Fall had not yet occured, therefore it was performed as and intended to be an eternal marriage.
Oh really?

And where did you learn about this? In the temple? Give me a break.

If you are going to talk about Adam and Eve in a literal sense, tell me how long they practiced incest.

Until you have PROOF that Adam and Eve existed and that they were married, I don't think you have any ground to stand on.

It has already be proven that Smith ripped off the masons ceremony. It has not been proven that anything else in the ceremony has any valid historical foundation.

Am I clear on this evidence thing? I don't care how you FEEL about Adam and Eve, and when you come in a spout off things about their physical existence being historically accurate, I will call your bluff.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

It has already be proven that Smith ripped off the masons ceremony.

And the idea of Celestial marriage from Swedenborg. Look it up, folks.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Here is a review of "Heaven and Hell" by Emanuel Swedenborg written by a LDS. From Amazon.com.

"Must-read for Mormons, January 16, 2002
Reviewer: A reader
As a Mormon, I was fascinated and suprised that this book parallels so well to Mormon scriptures on the afterlife. Although written decades before the birth of Joseph Smith and the founding of Mormonism, Swedenborg describes such Mormon concepts as the "Celestial Kingdom," "Three degrees of glory" and "Celestial Marriage." This book even details other things I thought were unique Mormon teachings like the pre-judgement "Spirit World" existing here on earth and being divided into a Spirit Prison and a Paradise. This is a must-read for Mormons who want to know more about the orgins of the Celestial Kingdom doctrine. Smith admitted he read this book before writing his scriptures on the subject, which explains the parallels. This is a gem of a resource and completely compliments Mormon doctrine on the afterlife. "

How do you explain this, guys?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Yes it was. For example....

Marriage..."is good practice for life as a god." Clement of Alexandria in Wagner, After The Apostles, 180

Clement insists that marriage and procreation are an intrinsic and positive part of God's plan for the human race. He frequently cites Genesis 1:28 ("Increase and multiply") and regards human procreation as an act of co-creation with God: "In this way the human being becomes the image of God, by cooperating in the creation of another human being"...Indeed, Clement is even capable of regarding marriage as, in some respects, superior to celibacy. The celibate who is concerned only for his own salvation is "in most respects untried." By contrast, the married man who must devote himself to the administration of a household is a more faithful reflection of God's own providential care. David G. Hunter, Marriage in the Early Church, 1992, 15, cf. Clement of Alexandria, Stromata 7:12:70; Instructor 2:10:83 in Restoring the Ancient Church, Barry Bickmore
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

bcspace wrote:

Yes it was. For example....

Marriage..."is good practice for life as a god." Clement of Alexandria in Wagner, After The Apostles, 180

Clement insists that marriage and procreation are an intrinsic and positive part of God's plan for the human race. He frequently cites Genesis 1:28 ("Increase and multiply") and regards human procreation as an act of co-creation with God: "In this way the human being becomes the image of God, by cooperating in the creation of another human being"...Indeed, Clement is even capable of regarding marriage as, in some respects, superior to celibacy. The celibate who is concerned only for his own salvation is "in most respects untried." By contrast, the married man who must devote himself to the administration of a household is a more faithful reflection of God's own providential care. David G. Hunter, Marriage in the Early Church, 1992, 15, cf. Clement of Alexandria, Stromata 7:12:70; Instructor 2:10:83 in Restoring the Ancient Church, Barry Bickmore
Oh paaalleeeaasse... Evidence From the Old Testament, or Christ.. not from a member of the great apostasy... your are familiar with what Mormons call the great apostasy, right?
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Oh paaalleeeaasse... Evidence From the Old Testament, or Christ.. not from a member of the great apostasy... your are familiar with what Mormons call the great apostasy, right?

Way to show your ignorance and assininity Porter. To quote Scratch, Bravo!
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Gazelam wrote:

Way to show your ignorance and assininity Porter. To quote Scratch, Bravo!
Shut up or put up Gizzy.

Do you even know who Clement of Alexandria was?
Last edited by Ask Jeeves [Bot] on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.