Was Eternal Marriage ever a doctrine of early Christianity?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Was Eternal Marriage ever a doctrine of early Christianity?

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

In a Celestial Kingdom thread discussing section 132 and whether D&C 132 binds polygamy to celestial/eternal marriage Dan gave the following reply concerning nixing that section:

Doctrine and Covenants 132 is the source for the doctrine of eternal marriage, just as it is the source for the doctrine of plural marriage.

Jettison Section 132 as merely Joseph's self-interested imagination and, yes, you get rid of polygamy. But, in that very act, you also toss out celestial marriage and the doctrine of the eternal family.

That thread is old and long, so I thought I'd start a new one here.

Was Eternal/Celestial Marriage/Family ever a doctrine of early Christianity?

If so where is the biblical evidence?

Does the statement by Dan make Eternal Marriage/Family a new doctrine?

I thought Smith was only restoring, not introducing or inventing.
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Don't need Biblical evidence. The doctrine of eternal marriage is as old as eternity itself.

You're a fool.

Paul O
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Paul Osborne wrote:Don't need Biblical evidence. The doctrine of eternal marriage is as old as eternity itself.

Got any documentation to support that claim, Paul? Or is it like all of your claims... just hot air?

You're a fool.

Paul O

You've been looking in the mirror!
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Paul Osborne wrote:Don't need Biblical evidence. The doctrine of eternal marriage is as old as eternity itself.
????
Again, since all that your idol did was simply restore, please just show me where it was part of Christ's doctrines.

Paul Osborne wrote:You're a fool.
That is a LOLLapalooza coming from the guy who believes in the supernatural.

When you post here, do you rub your Jupiter Talisman?
_Yoda

Re: Was Eternal Marriage ever a doctrine of early Christiani

Post by _Yoda »

Polygamy Porter wrote:In a Celestial Kingdom thread discussing section 132 and whether D&C 132 binds polygamy to celestial/eternal marriage Dan gave the following reply concerning nixing that section:

Doctrine and Covenants 132 is the source for the doctrine of eternal marriage, just as it is the source for the doctrine of plural marriage.

Jettison Section 132 as merely Joseph's self-interested imagination and, yes, you get rid of polygamy. But, in that very act, you also toss out celestial marriage and the doctrine of the eternal family.

Good point, PP.

Of course again, it goes back to whether or not personal revelation is valid. Joseph Smith introduced eternal marriage as a new and everlasting covenant.

In the Bible, it always refers to marriage as "until death do you part."
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Polygamy Porter wrote:In a Celestial Kingdom thread discussing section 132 and whether D&C 132 binds polygamy to celestial/eternal marriage Dan gave the following reply concerning nixing that section:

Did you ever read the AoF that says we believe all that God has revealed, all that he does reveal and that he well YET reveal many things.......
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

liz3564 wrote:

Good point, PP.

Of course again, it goes back to whether or not personal revelation is valid. Joseph Smith introduced eternal marriage as a new and everlasting covenant.

In the Bible, it always refers to marriage as "until death do you part."

While I think it is difficult to prove eternal marriage from the Bible alone I do not think the Bible says anywhere anything at all about until death do you part.

And PPs point is not good because it is clear that the LDS church also opened the potential for knowledge and doctrine never had before.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Jason Bourne wrote:

Did you ever read the AoF that says we believe all that God has revealed, all that he does reveal and that he well YET reveal many things.......
So then with that, all marriages before ~1840 are null in heaven?

THAT makes a lot of sense. I guess god was behind schedule on that... then the "great apostasy" came along and Elohim said "ahh screw it! I will get it done after I get the restoration out of the way..."

You believe you will be with your wife forever, based on the word of a man?

Yet you disagree with other similar doctrines from this same man?
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Jason wrote:While I think it is difficult to prove eternal marriage from the Bible alone I do not think the Bible says anywhere anything at all about until death do you part.

And PPs point is not good because it is clear that the LDS church also opened the potential for knowledge and doctrine never had before.

I'm giving PP credit for thought-provoking discussion. I much prefer this type of thread to his usual venom-spitting. At least with a topic like this, there are places to go...things to talk about.

And PP DOES have a valid point. Supposedly, the ordinances of the temple were a restoration of Solomon's temple.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

No, Porter,

I can think of no Biblical evidence that Celestial/Eternal marriage was part of early Christian doctrine. In that regard, the Bible is silent.

The concept of Celestial/Eternal marriage introduced by Joseph Smith was borrowed from Swedenborg.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb