A puzzle about resurrection...weird! (For Believers)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

A puzzle about resurrection...weird! (For Believers)

Post by _Tarski »

The human body has about 10,000,000,000,000 cells.
But amazingly, living on and in us each there are even more, ten times more, microorganisms!
On and inside us is a mindboggling squirming mass of "bugs" which are not even our own cells
We are mostly not ourselves so to speak!

Many of these organisms are necessary for our existence either directly or indirectly.
We are also connnected in myriad ways to creatures by the billions in our environment including fungi, bacteria, slime molds, diatoms, algae, etc.
The body needs all of this because it needs this bio-environment.

So when we resurrect, will this squirming mass, including every eye mite and ecoli cell, resurrect with us? Or will we be assigned new organisms (of a perfected nature of course :)?
Surely, the celestial body won't be so nonorganic, so inhuman and unnatural as be be reduced to a mere facsimile of what a human body looks like superficially to human eyes!
Will it?

PS,
I teased my wife. who is catholic, that each little bug or mite on our body would get its own little pair of angel wings and a little halo and then float up with us to heaven (but they don't really die when we do)
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

We know that resurrected bodies do not contain blood. If no blood, then one wonders about metabolism and such. Apparently the digestive track is still in tact as Jesus ate fish and later many will enjoy wine together. Still, without blood I don't see why we'd have the other microorganisms.

The real question for me is what happens to these microorganisms? When they are resurrected do they then exist outside of bodies? Is there a minimum standard for what gets resurrected? We know that animals will be resurrected, but I have heard nothing about plants, bacteria, fungi, or even viruses. My guess is that everything that is living will be, but viruses are a gray area where I'm not sure if it counts as living (I suspect not).
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

ab

We know that resurrected bodies do not contain blood.

How do we know that, ab?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

ew
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

asbestosman wrote:We know that resurrected bodies do not contain blood. If no blood, then one wonders about metabolism and such. Apparently the digestive track is still in tact as Jesus ate fish and later many will enjoy wine together. Still, without blood I don't see why we'd have the other microorganisms.

Why? They live on and in our skin and other organs too. Besides, it could equally well be said that without blood very little else in our biology makes sense.

I actually had a Bishop who told me that we would merely be shaped like humans sort of like really convincing blowup dolls.
He was actually the one to used the blowup doll analogy!
It blew my mind becuase he was a doctor too!
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Jersey Girl wrote:ab

We know that resurrected bodies do not contain blood.

How do we know that, ab?

I suppose I ought to have phrased it, "LDS believe that".

In any case, the reasons are in part due to LDS scripture:

D&C 129: 1-2
1 There are two kinds of beings in heaven, namely: Angels, who are resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones—
2 For instance, Jesus said: Handle me and see, for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Jesus said: Handle me and see, for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
D&C 130: 22
22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Furthermore one combines those with these from the Bible:
Luke 24: 39
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

1 Cor. 15: 50
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

The righteous micro-organisms will be resurrected with us. Those righteous micro-organisms who were host to a non-repentent child of God will be assigned to one who is righteous and exalted with him.

If scientists were able to plot out an exact blueprint of every cell in your body and then build it, would you now have two sets of conscious experiences or would the other you be a replica with its own experiences? If it's someone else, then in the resurrection, "your" resurrected body will be someone elses too (given that the exact cells that made you can't be recovered). Even though it will think it's you, like in the movie, "The Sixth Day".

Looks like when all you Mormons die, that's it. Though the Celestial Kingdom might be a lot of fun for the cyborgs made in your image.

The only option is to say that the spirit ensures the continuity, but as its explanatory power increases so does the brain's faux.

Faux brain is the only answer anyway even here on earth as demons can possess it. Spirits can move in and out of bodies without technical problems and move them around so long as God allows it. So the brain is in actuality, just as useless here. The brain must have been planted by Satan after the fall. Just as he planted the dinosaur bones, he put a brain in your head to convince others that you are a material being. And scientists have fallen for the trick like fools.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

asbestosman wrote:
1 Cor. 15: 50
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

"Flesh and Blood" is just a poetic euphemism for the physical body. I think the inconsistency of Biblical scripture together with hyper-literalistic reading of scripture actually gets people to create the weird doctrine that we will have skin and bones but no blood.

They juxtupose the scriptures you put up and then set about looking for a rationalization. I don't know who in this case--maybe Joseph Smith.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

asbestosman wrote:We know that resurrected bodies do not contain blood. If no blood, then one wonders about metabolism and such. Apparently the digestive track is still in tact as Jesus ate fish and later many will enjoy wine together. Still, without blood I don't see why we'd have the other microorganisms.

The two bolded parts contradict each other. If the digestive tract is, in fact, still intact (check out that rhyme), then microorganisms are responsible for aiding in digestion. This is the reason that poop stinks. The idea that resurrected bodies don't contain blood completely (biologically speaking) negates the body. What is the rationale for resurrected bodies not containing blood. What's wrong with blood?
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Tarski wrote:Besides, it could equally well be said that without blood very little else in our biology makes sense.

True and obviously I don't know why we need bodies in the resurrection. Granted I've become rather attached to mine imperfect as it may be. Still, it seems that a physical body has something to do with certain emotions or experiences. I don't know why arms and legs would be necessary for that, nor indeed any of our bodily organs so long as our spirits can sufficiently sense the environment (or universe).

I guess it could go either way with the microorganisms too.

It just seems to be the case from what we are told from visions that resurrected beings look more or less like the ideal person himself. Of course one wonders what ideal is, etc. However the important details appear to be macroscopic details (anthropomorphic, and physical) rather than (normally) minute details of whether mitochondria are still the powerhouses of our cells.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO